Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One and only Mr. Bean 10th Anniversary Collection (R2) Thread

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-24-01, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ecce **** qui est farba (Behold the man who is a bean).

A 3 DVD Mr. Bean 10th Anniversary collection is now available in Spain, France, Germany and Australia.

I opted for the Spanish since I can almost speak the language.

The 3 Spanish and French DVDs feature English audio (Dolby 2.0), 4:3 aspect ratio, Region 2, PAL video format and the following subtitles: Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, and English for hearing impaired. Each disk has a language selection menu so that you can access an episode selection menu in each of the five languages.

The German and Australian collections have different subtitle options of German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish and English for hearing impaired. The German set is coded for Regions 2 and 4 and is available as a boxed set at a lower price than the Spanish and French versions.

The Australian version is the only one with cover art in English.

The only real gripes I have so far is that the episodes are not in production sequence and the placement of the layer change on disk 1. If you've read this far you are probably already aware of how funny this series is (I think it's funnier than Blackadder), therefore I am concentrating my reviews on the DVDs not the program content.

Disk 1: Mr.Bean: 10th Anniversary Collection 1 (171 Min.)
Mr.Bean
Good Night, Mr. Bean
Mind The Baby, Mr. Bean
The Curse Of Mr. Bean
Extra: Best Bits Of Mr. Bean

The video quality is quite good although "Mind the Baby, Mr. Bean" seems a little soft. I also noticed a small (blink and you'll miss it) video glitch at the 1:30 mark of this episode. The opening credits of "The Curse of Mr. Bean" are in black & white and appear to have been transfered from VHS. It's been too long since I last saw this one so I can't remember if it's supposed to be this way. The "Best Bits of Mr. Bean" is a 72 minute "best of" compilation that is also available in R1 as a stand alone DVD. There is a layer change at the 34 minute mark of the extra. (Insert usual rant about careless placement of layer changes). So far this series looks like a must buy for Rowan Atkinson fans.

Disk 2: Mr.Bean: 10th Anniversary Collection 2 (175 Min.)
Mr.Bean Goes To Town
Mr.Bean Rides Again
Mr.Bean In Room 426
Do It Yourself Mr. Bean
Hair By Mr. Bean Of London
Extra: Story Of Mr. Bean

The video transfer quality of the 2nd disk is as good as disk 1. The audio quality is fine except for some slight dropouts in the laugh track at 11:45-11:50 point in "Mr. Bean Goes to Town". The extra "Story of Mr. Bean" is a 49 minute retrospective of Rowan Atkinson's career through the Mr. Bean movie and includes some outtakes from the series. I wasn't able to detect the layer change on this disk, so they may have done it right and put it between episodes.

Disk 3: Mr.Bean: 10th Anniversary Collection 3 (145 Min.)
Return Of Mr. Bean
Back To School Mr. Bean
Tee Off Mr. Bean
Merry Christmas Mr. Bean
The Trouble With Mr. Bean
Extras: The Library / Bus Stop

I finally finished the 3rd disk. The video transfer quality is consistent with the other 2 DVDs. The episode "Return of Mr. Bean" has the same black and white credits as the "Curse of Mr. Bean" on the first disk. The extras are a real treat here. I had never seen these two sketches before and I don't know if they were cut from other episodes or were part of an unfinished episode. "The Library" runs about nine minutes and has Mr. Bean destroying a priceless book in a matter of minutes. "Bus Stop" has Mr. Bean getting bumped from a full bus, then going to great lengths to be first in line for the next one.

Summing up: These DVDs are consistent with the quality you would expect from a TV show and will probably be the best treatment we are likely to see the show get on DVD.

The content and transfer quality of the French and German versions should be the same as the Spanish. The only differences being the language of the cover text and subtitle options. If anyone finds another difference, please post it here.

This is finally coming to R1 on April 29, although I haven't verified that the extras will be the same.

(Edited to include Australian and R1 versions)

Last edited by Damfino; 01-23-03 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great. I'll definitely be picking up one of the sets, though I'm not sure from which country yet. Please, anyone else who gets a set from Germany or France, please post details here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ bump ^

I have updated the main post to include a mini-review of disk 1.
Old 10-31-01, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this different to the r4 ones that came out a while ago.
Bean no 1,2,3..
Old 11-01-01, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by garryi
How is this different to the r4 ones that came out a while ago.
Bean no 1,2,3..
I never saw the R4 series, so I can't comment on the quality, but
the R4 series had 2 episodes per disk and no extras. If all 14 episodes were available on 7 DVDs the cost would have been over $100 as opposed to the $65 shipped I paid for the 3 DVD set at DVDGo in Spain.

The German set was supposed to be cheaper, but I just visited amazon.de and couldn't find the 10th anniversary collection there anymore. The 2 episode per DVD versions are still listed there.
Old 11-01-01, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the link for Amazon.de:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...443769-0942940

DM 89,99 / EUR 46,01

-Brett
Old 11-03-01, 08:04 AM

Has anyone received anything from amazon.de yet? According to them it is out now and dispatches in 2-3 days but my order has not yet been sent.
Old 11-03-01, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are these sets the complete run of Mr. Bean? I have no idea how many episodes there are.
Old 11-03-01, 03:02 PM

From what I understand it contains all the episodes and then some extra stuff.
Old 11-05-01, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cynthia
Are these sets the complete run of Mr. Bean? I have no idea how many episodes there are.
Yes, this collection is complete. There are only 14 episodes in the series.
Old 11-07-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wrote Amazon.de a few days ago, this is the response I just got back:

Dear Brett,

Thank you for contacting us at Amazon.de.

Unfortunately we have not received the DVD "Mr. Bean - 10.Jubiläumsedition Box-Set" from our supplier yet. I apologize for the delay and the inconvenience caused.

I have informed our purchasing department and we will contact you again as to when you can expect the DVD to be send out.

Should you have any further questions, please contact us again. We will be happy to hear from you.

Have a nice day!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Anja Vigouroux
-----------------------
Amazon.de Kundenservice

So who knows how much longer it'll be

-Brett
Old 11-07-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks for the update, Brett. Keep us posted if you should hear anything. There are quite a few people I know of who ordered the box set through Amazon.de.
Old 11-08-01, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some bad news....just got this email from Amazon.de

Dear Brett,

It's me again, with news regarding "Mr. Bean - 10.Jubiläumsedition
Box-Set".

The DVD was supposed to be released in Oktober, then November, however, we have been informed that there is no definite date as to when it actually will be released now.

I am sorry I could not be of more help to you. You are of course free to cancel the order should the waiting time get too long for you.

If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us again.

All the best.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Anja Vigouroux
-----------------------
Amazon.de Kundenservice

Anyone know of any online stores in Spain that have it for a comprable price?

Thanks

-Brett
Old 11-08-01, 08:59 AM

Wow, that doth bite. Well i guess the Spanish set is the way to go then. Anyone get the French set?
Jon
Old 11-08-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just tried ordering the French version, price was within a $1.00 of the German version (with my 50ff MTV France GC). Hopefully I'll have better luck with the French version...

I hope the specs are the same as the German and Spanish versions...

-Brett
Old 11-08-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Brett

I hope the specs are the same as the German and Spanish versions...

-Brett
All 3 versions have the same specs except for the language of the cover text and the subtitle options.

I have updated the main post with comments on the third disk.
Old 11-08-01, 08:37 PM

So what is the cheapest price for this set?
Old 11-09-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the 50FF coupon, I got all three volumes for ~$52.12 shipped from Amazon.fr.

I think the price was comprable to the set at Amazon.de (without
coupons, but with the new lower price).

I found one DVD Store in Spain and it was a little more expensive ($10-$12) there. Don't know of many Spanish DVD sites...

Hope this helps...
Got an email yesterday from Amazon.fr saying that my order
has shipped, so I will report on mine when I get it in a couple weeks...

-Brett
Old 11-09-01, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just checked 3 Spanish sites and all came to US$60 - 65.

The French set at Amazon.fr with the 50FF coupon is the way to go until (unless?) the German set arrives.
Old 11-15-01, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well,

I just got my Mr. Bean DVDs from France yesterday...less than a week!!!

I have not had a chance to watch them yet, but there seems to be some sort of offer on the front of the box of each DVD to get a free Official Mr. Bean Teddy Bear.

I tried using babblefish to translate, but it wasn't much help...offer appears to only be for residents of France though...too bad since it was on 10 francs!

-Brett
Old 11-22-01, 09:05 PM

Just bumping to see how the set from amazon.fr worked out.

Did you order each volume seperately as I cant find a boxed set on the site?

Oh yeah anything more you can tell me about the 50 FF coupon?

Thanks
looking forward to getting the set just dont know from where yet
Old 11-26-01, 08:01 PM

Holy hell! I got a shipping notice from amazon.de today, finally!
Old 11-27-01, 06:43 PM

Does anyone know with CERTANITY that the German edition contains the engligh track? and/or one of those unpleasent ones that have forced subtitles? Since amazon.de is the only one that has the box set now (amazon.fr seems to only have the individual discs for 59.19 EUR/52.21US vs 46.01EUR/40.59US for the box at Amazon.de) so going the box is definately the better way, thething that is troubling me is that on the Amazon.de page it CLEARLY sayd the language is german. I know that somehtings are dont strangely in Eurpoe, the upcoming ANDROMEDA DVD's are also showing a language of GERMAN, with no indication of multiple language tracks.
Old 12-01-01, 07:18 AM

I have just received the German Mr Bean box set.
The contents are exactly the same as the Spanish set and the episode sequence is also the same.

All 3 DVDs feature English audio (Dolby 2.0), 4:3 aspect ratio, Regions 2+4, PAL video format and the following subtitles: German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish and English for hearing impaired. Each disc has a language selection menu so that you can access an episode selection menu in each of the 7 languages.

I hope this is of some help to all those waiting for the German version.

Old 12-03-01, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info dixpicks, I have updated the main post with updated information on the German version.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.