Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is any online store still shipping the Malata n996?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-24-01, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried avdeals, I've tried mindlogic, but I'm coming up empty.

Does anyone know of any reliable online stores that are still shipping the malatas out? With good prices?

I know it's a tall order..... but any help is appreciated.
Old 10-24-01, 02:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is any online store still shipping the Malata n996?

<small>
Originally posted by mbrunet I know it's a tall order..... but any help is appreciated.
</small> It certainly is!

Do you have a favourite price comparison site?

MySimon.com just gave me a link to DVDCity.com which says it has it in stock for $399. Whether this is a) true or b) a good price is for you to determine!
Old 10-24-01, 03:15 PM

avdeals update

Avdeals has updated their website. They are holding shipments until they get
the firmware upgrade "by Nov 1" from the mfg. So hopefully, the pipeline will
start flowing again, with a new and improved version. I placed my order today,
so keeping my fingers crossed.

Note the link !

http://avdeals.com/damnmalatas.htm

Last edited by dleedlee; 10-25-01 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 11:10 AM

I can't believe all of the ruckus just because this player has a few problems with one disc! It's not like the Phantom Menace is the end-all be-all of movies.

And let us just compare which players have more problems - try putting in your season 3 or 4 South Park discs into almost any American player and see what kind of problems those players have!

I am not trying to say that the problem should be ignored but problem discs come along every so often for many players (anyone remember the Matrix?) and even if they had posted a disclaimer before I bought my Malata ('warning: you have to hit a couple of extra buttons to play THE PHANTOM MENACE dvd") I would have gladly snapped it up.
Old 10-25-01, 12:08 PM

I agree that a simple warning would have been sufficient

I think that it was just the final straw for avdeals. I gather that frustration had
been building over the Chinese-only firmware upgrade, the DTS dropouts, etc. Also, it sounds like their excellent customer service got stretched to the hilt just
trying to deal with the Malata issues. When TPM choked, they said heck with this,
and hence the damnmalatas.htm.
Old 10-25-01, 04:04 PM

AVDeals is doing the right thing. By stopping Malatas, they are pushing Malata engineers to create a upgrade to fix all known problems. I believe this is the best. That shows that AVDeals will go the distance to give the customers the best product available. I would say wait till AVdeals starts selling their systems again, and support them.

I already have a Malata, and I'm hoping to get my upgrade soon.
Old 10-25-01, 09:06 PM

zonefreedvd.com has the malata as well as a few other ntsc/pal players. I haven't used them before, but I tried calling their service number and it works so that's a good sign.
Old 10-25-01, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by AdamGott
I can't believe all of the ruckus just because this player has a few problems with one disc! It's not like the Phantom Menace is the end-all be-all of movies.
As Popeye says (and now AVdeals) "I've sootd all I couldst stand and I cant stants no more!" TPM was the other shoe dropping, the already had a issue with the Stargate Season 3 R2 discs and other niggling problems, and when it barfs on what is argueably the biggest selling disc of the year.. well, I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of the phone call...

I give HIGH PRAISE to Avdeals for their handling of this issue and backing the mfg. to the wall to get this problem fixed.. one would have to wonder if the R2 version of TPM had the same problem