Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Review] Secret Tears (S. Korean)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-22-01, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Secret Tears Bimil (2000)

Running Time: 108 minutes

DVD - Spectrum. Region 3 (R3), NTSC

Picture - 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen

Sound - 2.0 Stereo & DD 5.1 Surround (Korean)

Subtitles - English (removable)

Extras - Theatrical Trailer, 2 Making-Of Featurettes, O.S.T (sound track - it's a cool feature), Cast & Crew Bios, Music Video. It appears again as though none of it is subtitled.

The Film - Ugh... What a waste of time. To be honest - I wasn't able to stay awake through it, so I missed the pay-off ending. I just couldn't keep my eyes open. It's not that I was that tired either. It was just a sleepy boring movie.

The cover art says the film is called "Secret", but look for it as Secret Tears. It's about a guy and his friends who was out drinking and on the drive home, they plow into this really young girl with their car. She flies into the windshield and up into the air and somehow the 3 in the car manage to get out and stand behind the car in time to see her fall from 30 feet in the air down to the ground - landing without a scratch.

The guy that was driving decides to take her in to his home and nurse her back to health. She can't speak, but eventually they realize that they can communicate telepathically...

I can't really give away any spoilers because I didn't watch the end. I can tell you though that the film is very stylish (in a pre-packaged & formulaic way) and every few minutes there's a need for a long slow motion sequence to heighten the drama. Korean cinema needs to realize that just because it's in slow motion - that doesn't make it more dramatic or tense. It's severely overused here and it ends up lulling to sleep rather than creating a mood. Nothing really happens in this film (for the first hour or so), and they probably could've condensed it into 20 minutes without losing anything. I watched this film because I had watched Ditto the other day and liked it alot - I was hoping for another great supernatural sci-fi romance drama, but this was none of that.

From what I did watch - I found that the guy and the girl who was struck by a car develop this unnatural romance (I say unnatural because she's clearly like 12 years old and he's in his 30's at least) and bond. Seeing them kiss is something I didn't need to see. How would you have felt if Natalie Portman and Leon ended up doing it in The Professional? Pretty grossed out unless you're kinda sick.

Anyway - I'd suggest avoiding this film, unless you really like slooooooow moving dramas that never go anywhere. I'll certainly give it another go sometime so I can see the rest of the film. I'll have to take some speed or drink some coffee first though so I don't fall asleep this time. When I do watch it - I'll revise this review... I didn't hate this film (so far), but I didn't find much to like - more of an indifference really. Final score - [incomplete]. Sorry. Go watch Ditto instead.

edit: Oh - I should add that Spectrum did a phenominal job again with this DVD - simply outstanding in all respects - please see my Ditto review for a review of this DVD because I feel the same way about this presentation.