Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Review] Ring 1 & 2 (Japan) (possible spoilers)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-16-01, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Ring

Available on DVD in PAL format and region free - check UK distributors. The DVD contains a burned-in english subtitle that is clear and easy to read. The sound is stereo only, but makes good use of echo to make it sound like a fuller track. The print is a bit dirty, but it's anamorphic widescreen at least and the color saturation is decent. There are some extras (mostly text) including being able to watch the video for yourself. ACK! The menus are really creepy in themselves as well. Basically - this is the only way to see it with english subs that I know of. Every other option I've seen is lacking subtitles. It's a decent presentation.

This is a much talked about film. It all centers around this bizarre videotape. It's rumored that those who watch the tape get a strange phone call shortly afterwards and then they die one week later. The victims appear to be scared to death. I don't want to give away any of the surprises because that would ruin it if you haven't seen it... if you have seen it - then read my comments below and carry out a dialogue about it if you like inside spoiler tags {spoiler}hidden words{/spoiler} but replace those brackets with [ and ]. Moving on...

The film is creepy indeed. I got chills a few times. Nothing that made me jump out of my seat screaming, but it had my skin crawling. This film spawned a few copycats such as Wicked Ghost in HK and Ring Virus in Korea. I'm waiting for the US to pick this idea up. It's not the scariest film I've ever seen, but it's pretty damn good - and it's certainly a pre-requisite for watching the sequel.

I give this a score of 7/10

Ring 2

This picks up where the last film left off and answers all your questions while leaving you with perhaps a few more. The DVD is also PAL and region free and available at the same places. The subtitles are again burned-in and easy to read, the print is still a bit dirty (although not as much) and the transfer is anamorphic widescreen. This time, however - the audio is in creepy 5.1 surround. There are some interesting extras that are mostly text as with the first one. Another solid presentation worthy of a purchase (if you can play PAL).

This film has me at a bit of a loss... I found it to be heaps more creepy than the first (which you HAVE to watch FIRST), but some of the scenes were teetering on the edge of being silly or goofy. They never managed to get me laughing, but I was thinking to myself - "well this is getting kinda silly" a few times... then the scene would redeem itself and the thought would vanish. If you liked the first film - this is a MUST HAVE as well. Watching them back to back just makes for a long movie. I think coming away from the second film I felt like I appreciated both of them as a whole more than I appreciated the first film upon its completion.

Overall - I'd have to give this one a 7.5/10 - I just liked it a bit more than the first one.

I'd recommend both titles - fans of Japanese Horror are obligated to seek these films out at once. The DVDs are probably the best you're likely to find ever - so if you have the means to play PAL - go for it. It's sold at most of the major UK storefronts like blackstar and bensons - I got mine from choicesdirect.co.uk for about 24 bucks each. There's a few other places like Pokerindustries that carry them sometimes as well.

[b]WARNING: SPOILERS
Spoiler:
I tried to warn you - this is going to spoil the film for you - do you really want that? You fools!

So in the first film - when the chick comes out of the TV - I just about sh** my pants. Just thought I'd share that with you. In the second film, what was with the dumbass doctor guy and the litmus paper? Was he trying to be some sort of mad scientist? When the freaky dead chick crawls up the side of the well and grabs the rope - I sh** my pants again. Anybody else get creeped out by these films? I'd like to hear thoughts about this film. Now that I watched the video, do I have to make a copy and give it to someone to watch within a week?
Old 10-17-01, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap!!!!! Just got done watching this! This is why you get a region free player! This is the highest grossing horror film in Japan to date. There is a U.S remake in production but I doubt it will be as good as this at being able to capture that morbid feeling I had while watching it. This is great because this dread you feel just builds throughout the film. I bought this along with Iron Monkey, Battle Royale, and Audition and I just have to have Ring 2 now!!!! Damm it.
Spoiler:
The look of the film is not the greatest. I had to boost up the gamma a bit. The middle part lagged just a little. I made sure not to read anything about the story before I watched it. Maybe I just scare easily but I had chills up and down my spine during the whole well scene!!! And then when you think its over (I'm actually looking at my player thinking damm ten more minutes!) Just like Trigger my skin was crawling when SHE appeared. I love how there is a disclaimer from Tartan on watching the "video" in the special features (I haven't even watched it yet) Yes Trigger, you definitely have to follow the rules! But place it right after the movie credits and tell whoever you lend it to that there is a scene they have to watch at the end!!!!
Old 10-17-01, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you haven't seen the second one yet?? Whoa - you need to get it right away.
Old 10-17-01, 06:00 AM
pum

saw the first one. like it. not eager to have the second one. didn't like the whole sequel idea. it usually will be inferior. your comment surprise me a bit.

do i need to see the second one to appreciate the first one more?

upon first viewing, my reaction just like you two. this's one damn good horror movie. upon second viewing, well, i think the film just try too much to scare.

Spoiler:
for example, the first dead girl in the beginning, how come her corpse turn out to be in the closet on the second floor? isn't her body supposed to be found by her friend?
and the mark on the hand of the reporter that the evil girl leave on her, how can that happen?

something like this is the example that show the film just try too much to scare. but the video and the ending scene. that's really creepy.
Old 10-17-01, 08:21 AM

Here is a comprehensive site about the Ring movies. Ring 0 is supposed to be the prequel. I haven't dug into the site yet as I want to watch Ring 2 first. I hope some of the plot questions I now have get answered in the sequel...enjoy:
Ringworld

Last edited by Hannibal; 10-17-01 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-17-01, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by pum
upon first viewing, my reaction just like you two. this's one damn good horror movie. upon second viewing, well, i think the film just try too much to scare.
I know what you mean. You lose that dread after repeated viewings (I can't stand Blair Witch at all now.) If what Trigger says about the sequel is true, then this series (Ring,Ring2,Ring0)is something that the Blair Witch series (the third/prequel is still on the burner) tried to be but failed miserably. Your only joy now is the thrill of freaking out the people you show it to. That's always fun. Ring 2 will get to me in about 10 days...can't wait!

Last edited by Hannibal; 10-17-01 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-17-01, 09:22 AM

The sequel is pretty damned good actually. It carries it's own version of dread and has it's own equal amounts of truly scary moments.

I didn't think it would be all that great when I picked it up but I was not disappointed at all. It carries the mythology well and doesn't turn into something ridiculous, though IMHO does get a smidge (just a smidge) hokey in some parts. It's worth the $$.

Now part 3 is another story, I haven't heard any really good words about that one, but I'll pick it up if I get a chance.
Old 10-17-01, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by girlcreeture
The sequel is pretty damned good actually. It carries it's own version of dread and has it's own equal amounts of truly scary moments.

I didn't think it would be all that great when I picked it up but I was not disappointed at all. It carries the mythology well and doesn't turn into something ridiculous, though IMHO does get a smidge (just a smidge) hokey in some parts. It's worth the $$.

Now part 3 is another story, I haven't heard any really good words about that one, but I'll pick it up if I get a chance.
I have watched part 3, it's the only RA version of the whole in the
series, as for the story..... if you are planning to buy it, maybe I
shouldn't spoil it for you
Old 10-17-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where can I find Ring 0? Linkify me please.

Also - yes - as I said - Part 2 was indeed a bit cheesey at parts, but never quite reached the cheese. It always managed to snap back and hold it together. As for scares, it has more than the first. I found it creepier. Do you need to watch it to appreciate the first? Probably not - but if you liked the first, this one carries on with the story and does a fine job. This is one of those sequels where if you watch it right after the first film, it's like one long 3 hour or so movie that doesn't quit. I'd suggest getting it for sure if you liked the first.
Old 10-18-01, 12:54 AM

Ring 0: The Birthday

From what I've read about the series (not including two copycat sequels and the tv series) the sequence is Ring,Ring2 and the the prequel Ring 0: The Birthday.

As far as I can tell Ring 0 is out in Japan. (edit:see postbelow)Here is the link to a page I found

Ring 0

This is the distributor/part #
DVD Distributor: Kadokawa Shoten / Asmic Ace [KABD-81]

Can someone translate this to find out if there are english subtitles on this/where to get if there are subtitles? If not, I think Tartan will eventually release a version although I don't know when.

Last edited by Hannibal; 10-18-01 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-18-01, 03:28 AM

Ring 0

Ring 0 has been available for quite some time on dvd (the Kadokawa release you refer to), released last year somtime I believe. At any rate it doesn't have subtitles in any language. I did a timed script up for pc playback if that is of use to you...Deltamac also has a Taiwan dvd out, though it only has Chinese subs.
Old 10-18-01, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

then how have people seen it? There isn't ANY dvd with subs? ANYWHERE?
Old 10-18-01, 10:09 AM

Ring 2 vs. Ring 0

First, I wanted to thank Hannibal for putting a link up to my site, and thank those who've taken the time to visit it.

Those few who've had the opportunity to see Ring 0 (a subbed version has yet to be commercially produced) have probably not had that favorable an opinion of it, though I, personally, thought it was excellent.

The reason that most of the word of mouth you hear is negative is that Ring 0 is a -very- different film from its predecessors. Not only is cast, director, mood, music, and all the rest of it changed, but it's not even a horror movie at all: it's more like 90% drama, 10% suspense (For those who don't know, Ring 0 is a prequel that focuses on the life of a teenage Sadako). To enjoy this movie, you'd have to totally purge yourself of the slick, techno-horror influence of Rings 1 and 2, as well as enjoy the "slow burn" of mysteries like those old Agatha Christie flicks-- otherwise, you are going to hate this movie.

I personally enjoyed Ring 0 more than Ring 2 because, from the beginning, Ring 0's aim was to be something completely different, and not just a rehash of the other films. Ring 2, for all its effort, is a rehash that has a couple good scenes in it, but just drops the ball on too many occasions, with too many stretches of the imagination that wander waaay afar of the source material (I'd like to go into more detail, but don't know how to do the black "spoiler blocker" bar, so I guess I'll just say mention the word "water" and you who've seen the movie will know what I'm talking about.)

As for where you can get Ring 0, you can find fansubbed versions out there just by doing a Google keyword search. If you still turn up nothing, go to the faq page on my site, where one possible vendor is listed (I've never dealt with the guy, so caveat emptor).

j.

Webmaster, ringworld
Old 10-18-01, 01:05 PM

Where does The Spiral fit into all this??

J.T.
Old 10-18-01, 01:34 PM

the forgotten Spiral

The theatrical 1998 Ring was co-released with its sequel Rasen, AKA "Spiral." The studio's thinking was that if audiences liked one of the films, they'd go see the other to see how the stories intertwined (both, by the way, are based on the novels of the same name by Suzuki Koji).

However...

The two films were produced and directed by separate crews, and take very different approaches to the source material. While Ring was a box-office smash, the stumbling, inept Rasen was a flop. So, what do you do when you have audiences hungering for more of director Nakata's vision of Ring but avoiding director Iida's sequel? A: You get Nakata to make another sequel, and pretend Rasen never happened-- thus Ring 2, which blatantly, wildly contradicts Rasen, was born.

Incidentally, Ring 2 is an original story by director Nakata and screenwriter Takahashi-- it has almost 0% to do with the novels. Personally, I like Ring the movie more than Ring the novel, but love Rasen the novel, despise Rasen the movie, and am lukewarm about Ring 2. Too bad they didn't just get Nakata to do Rasen from the beginning...
Old 10-19-01, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the forum takayamaRyuji - thank you for all the helpful insight - so glad you could join us. We hope you stick around.
Old 10-19-01, 11:04 AM

Now all I have to do is get knowledgeable about something besides "Ring"...
Old 10-21-01, 05:20 AM

Re: Ring 2 vs. Ring 0

Originally posted by takayamaRyuji
First, I wanted to thank Hannibal for putting a link up to my site, and thank those who've taken the time to visit it.

Those few who've had the opportunity to see Ring 0 (a subbed version has yet to be commercially produced) have probably not had that favorable an opinion of it, though I, personally, thought it was excellent.

I had an opportunity to see Ring 0 at the Seattle Film Festival last year, on a really, REALLY big screen - so consider this a second vote for a superior film. I really enjoyed Ring 0, much more so than Ring 2 (and that's saying something).

The movie is very different than the two that have come before - spending lots of time building up back story and fleshing out history. The end result is that you have tons of sympathy for Sadako, and really understand why she's pissed off at the world. Considering everything that happens to her, I don't think I'd be able to avoid vengeance from beyond the grave, either.

Strangely enough, it's more of a drama than a thriller. Don't get me wrong, when the flood gates open at the end, it's a damn creepy movie. But for the most part, I didn't think there was that much horror/shock/suspense/gore/whathaveyou to the movie. Kind of like Psycho, but more laid back.

I cant wait for Tartan Video to put this bad boy out.
Old 02-23-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So. i had the pleasure of watching that baby tonight on big screen in manhattan ... and i have no idea when it was the last time that i wanted to close my eyes because i was so scared (britney spears movies excluded)

now i went to blackstar.co.uk and ordered the whole bunch ..

i have one question though ... i did not read every post in this thread too deeply .. did not want to get spoiled .. but is there some more scenes after credits rolled ??? i did not wait .. silly me !

P
Old 02-23-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked Ring 1 and 2, but I was never really scared. I also watched Uzumaki, another Japanese movie that gets thrown into the horror genre. As interesting and unique as Uzumaki was, it wasn't by any means scary. I also have Inugami which I have yet to watch. The only real scares I've been able to get from any horror films are: the scene in Blair Witch Project when their tent starts shaking and you hear little kids giggling and in the original Haunting when they're looking down that hall into that dark nursery room.

Someone please recommend some movies that will scare my pants off. Anything with english audio or english subtitles; obviously region codes and PAL are not a problem.
Old 02-23-02, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow - thread resurrection... good call using the search.

Originally posted by caipirina
So. i had the pleasure of watching that baby tonight on big screen in manhattan ... and i have no idea when it was the last time that i wanted to close my eyes because i was so scared (britney spears movies excluded)

now i went to blackstar.co.uk and ordered the whole bunch ..

i have one question though ... i did not read every post in this thread too deeply .. did not want to get spoiled .. but is there some more scenes after credits rolled ??? i did not wait .. silly me !

P
I don't remember if anything happened after the credits, but if I get a chance I'll check for you. I don't think it did. I wish I could see it on the big screen... that's gotta be intense.
Originally posted by Cornfed
I really liked Ring 1 and 2, but I was never really scared. I also watched Uzumaki, another Japanese movie that gets thrown into the horror genre. As interesting and unique as Uzumaki was, it wasn't by any means scary. I also have Inugami which I have yet to watch. The only real scares I've been able to get from any horror films are: the scene in Blair Witch Project when their tent starts shaking and you hear little kids giggling and in the original Haunting when they're looking down that hall into that dark nursery room.

Someone please recommend some movies that will scare my pants off. Anything with english audio or english subtitles; obviously region codes and PAL are not a problem.
Hmm... it sounds like nothing really scares you. I don't scare too easily either, but I think you're even more hardcore than me... US movies that have scared me are What Lies Beneath (very Hitchcockian), The Others (not so much scary as creepy), The Changeling, Exorcist 3, Event Horizon (in parts), and Stir of Echoes kinda. I haven't seen any really scary asian films aside from Ring, but Ring 1 and 2 certainly gave me the heebie jeebies.

I'll look through my collection and think about it and get back to you on this one.
Old 02-23-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think it was that part by Hanibal that confused me (and still does) ...

it was in spoiler tags .. but that quote alone is no spoiler .. so here it is

I love how there is a disclaimer from Tartan on watching the "video" in the special features (I haven't even watched it yet) Yes Trigger, you definitely have to follow the rules! But place it right after the movie credits and tell whoever you lend it to that there is a scene they have to watch at the end!!!!

i think i now get it ... like "wishful thinking" about there to put THE video !

Spoiler:

would be fun if sticker disclaims "comes with real girl"
Old 02-23-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

The Others (not so much scary as creepy), The Changeling, Exorcist 3, Event Horizon (in parts), and Stir of Echoes kinda
I just placed an order for the Changeling yesterday; I've never seen it. You're right about the Others -- nothing really scary, but a nice creepy mood throughout. These are the only horror films I can really get into: psychological horror. Anything that goes for shock value, stuff that makes you jump, doesn't work on me at all being that I'm not a person that jumps when something startling happens on screen.
Old 02-24-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like I'll also have to pick up Session 9, which comes out on Tuesday. Reviews look pretty good.
Old 02-25-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cornfed
Looks like I'll also have to pick up Session 9, which comes out on Tuesday. Reviews look pretty good.
I watched it yesterday. I found it kinda slow for the most part. I am kinda on the fence on this one. Definitely worth a rental IMHO.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.