Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Artistic Kung-Fu reccos?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Artistic Kung-Fu reccos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-01, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Artistic Kung-Fu reccos?

i am lookg for reccomenrdations for very artistic Kung Fu films, i think most of them have artistic merit, but i am looking for ones that put humor in the backseat and just have beautiful camerawork. i am pretty familiar with HK flicks but jsut dont want to starrt buying a shitload to find what i am looking for. a thing of recent that reminds me of what i am lookng for is a shot that is in Iron Monkey, when Iron Monkey and Miss Orchid come into the hosue and "collect" all those papers, thats beautiful, please gie any reccos you can, and a brief description if possible. FYI - i am capable of playing all dvds and region any format
Old 10-14-01, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swordsman II
Old 10-14-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two lesser known 90's wire-fu movies that I always recommend are Moon Warriors and All Men Are Brothers, Blood of the Leopard. Both of them are kind of artsy, have solid stories, acting, and some nice romance to go along with the action. If you like the scene you mentioned in Iron Monkey, you would probably also like the scene in Moon Warriors where Fei swims with and rides his pet Killer Whale, and some of the scenes between Fei and Moony (Anita Mui). Also, some of the romantic scenes between Lin and his wife in All Men are Brothers---as well as the friendship between Lin and the short-tempered monk--both of these movies are pretty solid, IMO, and have excellent cinematography.
Old 10-14-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the most artsy kungfu movie ever--Ashes of Time. As far as romantic, atmospheric, striking images in a kungfu movie---you're not going to find another movie with more of them---although some people think it's just TOO artsy, to the point of being abstract and very difficult to follow. I enjoyed the movie, but beware because I don't think any of the DVD versions are of particularly good quality.
Old 10-14-01, 11:55 PM

Go for BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR Parts 1 and 2. Second Part isn't as good, but still very nice to look at. Also, WHAT PRICE SURVIVAL is a very artsy modern day swordplay/kungfu flick.
Old 10-15-01, 10:55 AM

Several scenes in both the following movies:

Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Twin Warriors (Jet Li) (also titled The Tai Chi Master)

cheers,
Gabe
Old 10-15-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Tried to post this yesterday, but my internet went out...

Justice My Foot
Bride With White Hair 1 (skip part 2)
Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2
Swordsman 2
Twin Warriors
Kung Fu Cult Master
Old 10-15-01, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yahoo Sirius
Also, WHAT PRICE SURVIVAL is a very artsy modern day swordplay/kungfu flick.

Absolutely brilliant film! Easily one of the best HK films I've ever seen. Highly recommended!!!

-matt
Old 10-15-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ashes of Time.

There's no other wuxia film that compares to it in terms of artistic merit. Be prepared to watch the film several times, as the film is very dense. The film also won Best Cinematography at the Venice Film Festival. One of Wong Kar-Wai's best film, and probably still his deepest.