Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

At Last!! Groundhog Day Collectors Series DVD. [Region 4/PAL]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

At Last!! Groundhog Day Collectors Series DVD. [Region 4/PAL]

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Groundhog Day Ce!!!! At Last!!!!!!

It's being release in Region 4 on January 2, 2002. Region 4 = Australia and PAL, which is unfortunately incompatible with most USA equipment other than PCs. I couldn't track down the original Columbia Tristar press release but have two different sites mentioning this release.

http://www.dvdbits.com/press/ctsjanuary.asp

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Discs/Disc.asp?ID=3448

Features:

audio commentary by director Harold Ramis

25 minute behind-the-scenes feature on the making of the movie with cast and crew interviews.

It is difficult to imagine that there are any issues that would delay a USA release much beyond the overseas release. Possibly they're just being coy and it could even turn up sooner, you can only hope. There was a rumour that they were trying to get Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell together for a commentary and if they are waiting for that before releasing a R1 version then that would make the wait a little more bearable.

I am also putting this news into the International forum but request that the moderators not close this one. I must have written 20 messages asking about this release in here and I know there are an awful lot of people very keen for any news at all.

Groundhog Day is my favourite movie ever and this is my most wanted disc by a long way. I'm just a bit stunned that it seems to be being released in my home turf (Australia) before anywhere else. RRP would be in the region of US$17.50 to $20.
Old 10-11-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

not to sound snippy, but is that all they have planned for the CE? i was expecting lots more. hopefully some deleted scenes, at least.
Old 10-11-01, 08:22 AM

Yeah, possibly I'm a little overjoyed as all we've had available so far is the trailer but it seems ok. 25 minutes has a lot of potential.

Which is supposed to be better, a Collectors Edition or a Special Edition?
Old 10-11-01, 11:00 AM

Is this going to be 5.1 audio and anamorphic?
Old 10-11-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by b11051973
Is this going to be 5.1 audio and anamorphic?
No, I do believe they'll downgrade it to non-anamorphic and mono.

This thread title is totally deceiving too....you got my hopes up for nothing!

And FWIW, it's supposed to be a "Collector's Series" disc...that's CTHE's nomenclature, so take it as you will.....
Old 10-11-01, 11:53 AM

I have the current version of Groundhog Day and unless it has a hidden audio track, I don't believe it has 5.1 audio. I remember looking for it, but it wasn't there.

I don't know if the version I have is anamorphic, but I figure if they haven't upgraded the audio, then the video transfer probably isn't all that recent either.
Old 10-11-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a review of the current disc by DVDTalk reviewer Aaron B.

http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreview...hogdaydvd.html