Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

chungking express on e-bay

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-01, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get a "Chungking Express" DVD. So far the only one I've seen is an Ocean Shores version on Ebay. The auctioneer is someone called 760101 out of Hong Kong. This person has enough feedback to put me mildly in the comfort zone but will only take cash, which puts me just outside the comfort zone. I'm probably not getting a Malata for awhile, so that scotches any region 2 versions.
Anybody deal with this 760101?
Thanks.
Joel
Old 10-01-01, 08:57 PM

I've had numerous transactions with 760101 and I can't recommend him highly enough. He's professional, courteous, quick to ship once payment is received, and he packs his merchandise very securely. He's one of the few Hong Kong sellers who's never let me down.
Old 10-02-01, 07:04 AM

Thanks. Glad to hear it.

Glad somebody else has dealt with this guy. Nothing better than a real person recommendation.
Joel
Old 10-02-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a couple of things:

i thought the Ocean version of the DVD was really really poor. you may want to check it out before you bid.

once, i emailed other people who left comments and asked them directly about their transactions. if you need more reassurance.
Old 10-03-01, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
a couple of things:

i thought the Ocean version of the DVD was really really poor. you may want to check it out before you bid.
Gotta agree with this, it's really bad. We have been slowly replacing our LD collection with DVDs, but this is one time where we kept the LD and sold the DVD.

Hopefully it's out of print because someone else has the rights now and is doing a better job on a new DVD version.
Old 10-03-01, 04:25 AM

It's out of print because Ocean Shores is getting out of the DVD business. All the titles they owned rights to are slowly being bought up by other distributors. This is a pretty bad print, but the movie's excellent and you should pick up a copy in some form if you don't own it already.
Old 10-03-01, 07:23 AM

Exactly.

That's why I'm getting the Ocean Roars version now. My alternatives are VHS or nothing. However I'm hoping to get a Malata w/in the next month or so. If the movie's as good as everybody says and the DVD is as funky as everybody says I'll probably replace it.
Joel
Old 10-03-01, 08:16 AM

2 versions

Don't forget, the LD is the International release and the Ocean Shores
DVD/vcd is the HK release. The LD has a longer version of the Brigitte Lin/Indian
smugglers episode, other shots are edited differently and one of the musical
cues is different. Sorry, can't remember the details. I tried to do a side by side
comparison between the LD and vcd but I wasn't up to the task.

Last edited by dleedlee; 10-03-01 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-03-01, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well we have the LD, and a couple of different VHS versions including a HK release, so our bases are covered for a while. As popular as CE is, I hope that whatever company gets the rights to it puts out a nice DVD.