Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only NON-R1 DVD personal recommendations thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The one and only NON-R1 DVD personal recommendations thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-01, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one and only NON-R1 DVDs worth getting thread :)

Well, due to the fact that the DVD format seems to be picking up quite a bit of momentum worldwide (I'm still in awe at the quality of the "Solaris" that Ruscico put out...), I'm thinking we should have a thread like the "unreleased on DVD", that would point out the worthy issues.

Please contribute freely - although my suggestion is to keep anime out of this...

If this turns out to be useful, maybe we can make it "sticky" and keep it as a permanent reference...

---------

Chariots of Fire - R2
widescreen version, unlike the Warner R1 issue

Don't Look Now - R2
so far the only edition on DVD

Fifth Element, The - R2
double disc, plenty of extras

Solaris - R0
so far, the only edition on DVD - widescreen format, 5.1 sound and nice extras are an unexpected bonus!

1492 - R2
so far, the only edition on DVD
Old 09-29-01, 03:22 PM

It would help if people could give a country, video format, and the title if it is in a foreign language (like Don't Look Back is). I would also agree that anime and HK films should be left out, as they get plenty of threads on their own. My own picks are:

-A Matter of Life and Death (UK R2 PAL)

-Young Girls of Rochefort (aka Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, French R2 PAL)

-Macbeth (1948, only version currently available, UK R2 PAL)

-F for Fake (Japan, R2)

-Chimes at Midnight (aka Campanadas a Medianoche, Spanish R0 PAL)

-Gamera 1-3 Heisei series (5 DVD box set, Japan R2)
Old 09-30-01, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are the non R-1 DVDs in my collection (in alphabetical order):

A-ha: Headlines and Deadlines (Music Video Compilation, R4 PAL)

Bottom Live (Britcom, R2 PAL)
Bottom: The Big Number Two Live (Britcom, R2 PAL)
Bottom 3: Hooligan's Island (Britcom, R2 PAL)

Dangerman Volumes 1 through 4 (UK spy series - known as "Secret Agent Man" in US - R2 PAL)

Danger Mouse Volumes 1 & 2 (UK animated series, R2 PAL)

Dune (US film, extended TV version) (R2 PAL)

Eraserhead (US film, R2 PAL)

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Hard On (Music video compilation, R2 PAL)

Guest House Paradiso (The "Bottom" movie, R2 PAL)

The Ninth Configuration (US film, R2 PAL)

The Best Of The Old Grey Whistle Test (Brit TV music show, R2 PAL)

Ring (Japanese film, but R2 PAL)
Ring 2 (Japanese film, but R2 PAL)

Spaced (Britcom, R2 PAL)

The Complete Thin Blue Line (Rowan Atkinson Britcom, R2 PAL)

Thunderbirds Box Set (Classic Brit TV show, R2 PAL)
Thunderbirds Are Go (R2 PAL)
Thunderbirds 6: The Movie (R2 PAL)

Ultravox: The Collection (Music video compilation, R2 PAL)

Coming Soon:

Bottom 2001 Live (Britcom, R2 PAL)

Family Guy Complete Season One (U.S. animated series, R2 PAL)
Old 10-02-01, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Shiv Shankly

-Young Girls of Rochefort (aka Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, French R2 PAL)
I can't quite remember, but I isn't there an problem of some sort with this
release? Isn't it full-frame or something?
Old 10-02-01, 11:29 AM

Bean Volumes 1-4 - R2-6, PAL (4:3)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer Seasons 1&2 - R2/R4, PAL (4:3)
8 Heads In A Duffel Bag - R2, UK, PAL (16:9)
Mad About Mambo - R4, Australia, PAL (16:9)
White Fang - R4, Australia, PAL (16:9)
Old 10-03-01, 01:54 AM
Cool New Member

My recommendations are:

Django - Japanese R2 Edition contains much sharper picture with better colors (to create the muddy atmosphere), that put the dull Anchor Bay version to shame. Anamorphic at app. 1.50:1. In Italian with removable Japanese/English subs.

La matriarca (aka The Libertine) - Japanese R2 Edition contains the original Italian version of the film, with much better picture quality (16x9). In Italian w/ removable Japanese subs.

Il conformista (aka The Conformist) - Japanese R2 Edition contains the breathtaking widescreen transfer of the film, enhanced for 16x9 TVs. This is the uncut version, including a scene not included in the American version. In Italian w/ removable Japanese subs.

Les aventuriers (w/Alain Delon & Joanna Shimkus) - Japanese R2 Edition contains the beautiful widescreen version of the film, enhanced for 16x9 TVs. In French w/removable Japanese subs.

Eyes Wide Shut - Japanese R2 Edition contains the unedited version of the film.

Abre los ojos (aka Open Your Eyes) - Spanish R2 Edition contains loads of extras, as well as DD5.1 sound. In Spanish w/removable English subs.

Cartouche - French R2 Edition contains the beautiful widescreen version of the film (enhanced for 16x9 TVs). In French (and English) w/removable English subs.

Pierrot le fou - French R2 Edition contains the crisp, impressive anamorphic widescreen transfer of the film. No comparison to the Fox Lorber version, which was unwatchable, IMO. In French (English and German) w/English subs.

I'm receiving French version of Jules et Jim tomorrow, and this one seems to be loaded with extras.

As to "Les demoiselles de Rochefort (Young Girls of Rochefort)," there are too much shimmering on the images on my TV while watching this movie, but it could just be the TV or the DVD player I use. This one, however, comes with a 1-hour documentary by Agnes Varda with lots of interviews and rare behind-the-scene takes from the actual shooting, and this one itself is worth the money.

I also own Ruscico "Solaris" and German "Don't Look Now," and they are excellent (highly recommended). However, there is also a French version of "Don't Look Now," which should be the same version as the German (since both use the Studio Canal master), except for the additional language and subs (the German edition comes with English/German language with removable English/German subs while the French version comes with English/French language with removable French (no English) subs). Also, the French version seems to come with the filmographies of the actors, while the German edition doesn't. BTW, the English audio of "Don't Look Now" is only acceptable, while the images are simply gorgeous.

Taka
Old 10-03-01, 06:27 AM

heres the beginnings of a list.. I'll add more later as and when they come to mind.

Region 2 Japan
Lost Highway

Region 2 Uk
Yes Minister - series 1
La Reine Margot (aka Queen Margot)
Audition
Gimme, Gimme, Gimme - The Complete First Series
Complicity

Region 2 France
Ca Commence Aujourd'hui (aka It all starts today)
Z
La Haine

Region 2 Germany
The company of wolves
The princess and the warrior
Fifth Element SE

Region 4 (NZ/AUS)
Eyes Wide shut

(other/region free?)
The Kingdom series 1 and 2

Last edited by Hemulen; 10-03-01 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-04-01, 08:59 AM
Banned

My pics are:

Jaws 3
Dick Tracy
Body of Evidence
Dangerous Game
Evita (with extras)
American Psycho (deleted scenes)
Friends Boxed sets...

Just a few reasons to get a region-free player.

I think they're all Region 2.
Old 10-04-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few more...

Anatomy of a Murder (UK R2 PAL)
OAR release

Dark Angel - TV Series (Japan R2)
Volumes 1-6 so far

Frank Herbert's Dune - TV Mini-Series (Spain R2 PAL)
16:9, 5.1 sound

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (UK R2 PAL)
Director's cut

South Park (UK R2 PAL)
Full seasons

Last edited by RichardW; 10-04-01 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-04-01, 10:53 AM

The French Young Girls of Rochefort disc does have some shimmering as mentioned, but it is widescreen, and until someone comes up with a better disc, I can live with it. There were two versions made of the film, one in English and one in French, and the subs are from the English version, best as I can tell, but it's pretty close to the original dialogue. And the disc does have the documentary, which has some nice behind the scenes footage.
Old 10-04-01, 10:54 AM

R2 UK:
--------
A Pasolini quartet -
"The Decameron"
"The Canterbury Tales"
"Arabian Nights"
"Salo" (best chance to own this film for a decent price)

also

"The Adventures of Prince Achmed" (rare early animated film from Germany, directed by Lotte Reiniger).

R0 UK:
--------
"Song of Summer" (early Ken Russell TV film)
"The Stone Tape" (BBC Christmas ghost story from 1970s, from "Quatermass" writer)
"Whistle & I'll Come to You" (adaptation of M R James' ghost story; nearly 90 mins of extras)
"Dobermann" (see France for the spec. edn.)
"The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" (this may well be R0, although there's a chance it's R2; it's definitely UK)

R2 France:
-------------
"Dobermann" (2-disc set)
"Seul Contre Tous" (inc. short film "Carne")
"Heavenly Creatures"
"Lost Highway"

R2 Germany:
----------------
"Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" (includes a few small extras - bios etc. - not included in the recent R0 release).
Old 10-05-01, 10:17 PM

R2 France:

1) Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources: Glorious anamorphic widescreen transfers, as opposed to the junk non-anamorphic job done by MGM in R1.

2) The Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des Loupe? Sorry, me no speak French): Will probably get an R1 DVD release, but the R2 French release is a 3 disk super special edition!

R2 Japanese:

3) Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) and The Making of Mononoke Hime : Both 3 disk editions. Thats a total of 6 DVDs worth of material compared to the single barebones R1 DVD.

R2 UK:

4) Hong Kong Legends release of Once Upon a Time in China, New Dragon Inn and Iron Monkey .

5) Fiza (Indian movie): Though the US and UK disks are both R0 and NTSC (!), the UK edition is far far superior in quality.

- chaver.
Old 10-06-01, 03:57 AM

Some John Ford Classics:

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (R2 German) - DVD features a beautiful restored print of this John Ford classic (picture quality is truly amazing). Interesting extra - a 1hr interview with John Ford. Subtitles can be switched off.

Fort Apache (R2 German) - picture quality is not as good as SWAYR but still a very decent restoration effort. DVD features the original American version and a German version which was cut down to 89 mins. Extra's: trailers. Subtitles can be switched off.

Wagon Master (R2 France) - picture quality +/- same as Fort Apache. Extra's: trailers. Subtitles can be switched off.

The Lost Patrol (R2 Spain) - seems to be unrestored. Still, a decent transfer and very watchable. Subtitles can be switched off.

The Fugitive (R2 Spain) - same story as The Lost Patrol

The Informer (R2 Spain) - same story as The Lost Patrol

Laurel & Hardy.
In Germany, Kinowelt has been releasing the Hal Roach sound shorts and features at a steady pace. The DVD's usually feature 3 shorts or one feature and have good picture quality (keeping the age of the material in mind) Released thus far are:

Be Big/Laughing Gravy
Going Bye Bye/Tit For Tat/Them Thar Hills
Way Out West
Sons Of The Desert
Brats/Helpmates
Our Relations
Big Business/Below Zero/The Music Box
A Chump At Oxford
Come Clean/Blotto/Chickens Come Home
Blockheads
Men O' War/Towed In A Hole/Any Old Port

Coming in October: "Pack Up Your Troubles" and in December "One Good Turn/County Hospital/Their Purple Moment".

Misc.

Lawrence Of Arabia 3 disc set (R2 France) - has an extra third disc which features the documentary "In Love With The Desert" in which Lean collaborator Eddie Fowlie looks back on making LOA.

Vertigo (R2) - Unlike the R1 version, the R2 version is anamorphically enhanced. Extra's are the same but the picture quality is much better.

The African Queen (R2 UK) - decent restoration effort of this Bogart classic. Interesting extra: commentary by Jack Cardiff

The Four Feathers (R4 Australia) - features the cut version of this Korda classic and needs restoration badly. Still nice to have

Gunga Din (R2 Spain) - needs restoration. Subtitles can be switched off.

El Cid (R2 France) - decent, anamorhically enhanced and in OAR but alas not the Roadshow version. Subtitles can not be switched off.

55 Days At Peking (R2 France) - same as El Cid

Fall Of The Roman Empire (R2 France) - same as El Cid

Circus World (R2 France) - same as El Cid

Battle Of The River Plate (R2 UK) - good restoration of this Powell & Pressberger war movie. Anamorpically enhanced and in OAR.

Die Bruecke (R2 German) - German war classic. No subtitles so you need to be able to understand German

Cross Of Iron (R2 UK) - nice, anamorpically enhanced version (in OAR) of the Peckinpah classic.

In Which We Serve (R2 UK) - decent version of this Noel Coward/David Lean war movie

The Longest Day 2 disc set (R2) - unlike the R1, the R2 is anamorphically enhanced and features the documentary "D-Day Revisited" as an extra.

My Name Is Nobody (R2 Denmark) - decent print of this classic spaghetti western. Alas not anamorphically enhanced and not the OAR of 2.35:1 (very close though). Subtitles can be switched off.

Planet Of The Apes (R2/R4) - anamorphic unlike the R1.

Pulp Fiction (R4) - anamorphic unlike the R1 + all the extra's of the Canadian release (or so it seems). Picture quality is not spectacular though.

Raising Arizona (R2) - anamorphic unlike the R1

Reach For The Sky (R2 UK) - nice, anamorphic transfer of this classic war movie

Reservoir Dogs (R2 UK) - beautiful anamorphic transfer unlike the R1. Sound is only DD 2.0. The limited edition box set comes with 10 postcards and a book on Tarantino.

The Sting (R2) - in OAR unlike the R1 but unfortunately not anamorphically enhanced.

Waterloo (R2) - Sergei Bondarchuk's classic war movie about the battle of Waterloo.

The Way Ahead (R2 UK) - classic British war movie from Carol Reed.

We Dive At Dawn (R2 UK) - classic British war movie.

Above Us The Waves (R2 UK) - classic British war movie.
Old 10-06-01, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I second hitch_fan's choice of British war movies (The Way Ahead / We Dive At Dawn / Above Us The Waves) and would add WW2-themed Powell & Pressburger's A Canterbury Tale and Jack Lee's A Town Like Alice...

...for Hitch Fan(s): Hitchcock's 1934 The Man Who Knew Too Much (the original!) and his 1938 Young And Innocent - very nice!

Note that there are a number of French, Italian and Spanish movies on R2 DVDs that feature optional English subtitles (and in some cases English dubs - for those who don't like to 'read' movies...) - e.g. from France: Le Jaguar and Place Vendôme, a double bill disc of Luis Buñuel's El and The Criminal Life Of Archibaldo De La Cruz / from Italy: The Legend Of 1900 (two-disc CE of the complete director's cut) / from Spain: The Lovers Of The Arctic Circle, The Art Of Dying and The Nameless, to name just a few...

. . . . . .
Old 10-06-01, 09:55 AM

Vertigo (R2) - Unlike the R1 version, the R2 version is anamorphically enhanced. Extra's are the same but the picture quality is much better.
Hitch Fan may well be correct, but its worth noting that Robert Harris (who worked with James Katz on the restored Vertigo) was asked on the Home Theater Forum about foreign releases of Vertigo.

The reason it came up is that some buffs picked up the R2 because it was anamorphic, but were disappointed by the transfer, which had an artificially lightened finale, among other issues. Harris said he had no say in the transfer outside R1, so couldn't comment.

I have no idea if the R2 version is the same in all R2 countries or not - but this is worth thinking about.

Bleddyn
Old 10-06-01, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams

Hitch Fan may well be correct, but its worth noting that Robert Harris (who worked with James Katz on the restored Vertigo) was asked on the Home Theater Forum about foreign releases of Vertigo.

The reason it came up is that some buffs picked up the R2 because it was anamorphic, but were disappointed by the transfer, which had an artificially lightened finale, among other issues. Harris said he had no say in the transfer outside R1, so couldn't comment.

I have no idea if the R2 version is the same in all R2 countries or not - but this is worth thinking about.

Bleddyn
I think the R2 version is the same in all R2 countries.
There used to be a site which compared the two versions (illustrated with screenshots). There is indeed a slight difference in colour and (curiously) in framing between the R1 and R2. I own both but prefer the sharper picture of the R2 on my widescreen tv.
Btw, the R2 version of Psycho is also anamorphically enhanced. In this case I prefer the R1 as the picture quality of the R2 is actually worse and the R2 disc doesn't have any extra's.

Word of warning - stay away from other European Universal releases of Hitchcock movies as several were released in pan and scan format (unbelievable but true).
Old 10-06-01, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Hendrik

...for Hitch Fan(s): Hitchcock's 1934 The Man Who Knew Too Much (the original!) and his 1938 Young And Innocent - very nice!

I'll wait until Criterion releases these eventually, hopefully.
Old 10-06-01, 10:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

For information

There were a few more suggestions in the thread: Int'l Newbie Help: What are your favorite non-R1 discs? which is now locked since, although it preceded this one, it looks to have "died a death". (Because it was older, merging was not the preferred option this time).

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum
Old 11-05-01, 11:19 AM

El Cid & The Longest Day R2 France DVDs

Originally posted by hitch_fan

El Cid (R2 France) - decent, anamorphically enhanced and in OAR but alas not the Roadshow version. Subtitles can not be switched off.
How is this R2 France version compared to the R2 UK version?

The Longest Day 2 disc set (R2) - unlike the R1, the R2 is anamorphically enhanced and features the documentary "D-Day Revisited" as an extra.
Does the extra have English subtitles?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-01, 01:07 PM

Re: El Cid & The Longest Day R2 France DVDs

Originally posted by cine
Originally posted by hitch_fan

How is this R2 France version compared to the R2 UK version?
The UK R2 is 1.33:1 pan & scan. Sad but true.
I would wait with buying the French version of El Cid though as a R1 release is supposedly in the works for next year.

Does the extra have English subtitles?

Thanks. [/B]
Yes, the documentary features English subtitles amongst others.
Old 11-08-01, 08:53 AM

I recommend the following non-R1 DVDs which are the versions containing OAR, OSL, PCM, non-speedup sound, anamorphic widescreen or any combination as appropriate -

OAR/OSL/Anamorphic Widescreen
Anatomy of a Murder (R2 PAL)
Babe (R2 PAL)
Chariots of Fire (Japan R2 NTSC)
The Commitments (France R2 PAL)
Sting (R2 PAL)
Moonstruck (R2 PAL)
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (France R2 PAL)
The Karate Kid (R2 PAL)

PCM
Cats (Japan R2 NTSC)
Michael Crawford in Concert (R2 PAL)
BeeGees One Night Only (Japan R2 NTSC)
Supernatural Live Santana (Japan R2 NTSC)
Andrew Lloyd Webber Celebration (Taiwan R0 NTSC)

Anamorphic Widescreen
Big (Japan R2 NTSC)
Full Monty (Japan R2 NTSC)
The Last Emperor (Japan R2 NTSC)
Planet of the Apes (1968) (Japan R2 NTSC)
Raising Arizona (Japan R2 NTSC)
Scream (Japan R2 NTSC)
Speed (Japan R2 NTSC)
The Towering Inferno (Japan R2 NTSC)
Trainspotting (Japan R2 NTSC)
The Usual Suspects (Japan R2 NTSC)
Young Frankenstein (Japan R2 NTSC)
Old 11-19-01, 04:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Bumped for boc4ever.

Last edited by benedict; 11-19-01 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks!
Old 11-20-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Drive Directors Cut SE Region 2 UK, got it from Blackstar. By far the best DVD I ever took a chance on getting!! This movie has it all. It is a shame it never got a proper release to the theaters!!
Old 11-20-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
My pics are:

Jaws 3
Dick Tracy
Body of Evidence
Dangerous Game
Evita (with extras)
American Psycho (deleted scenes)
Friends Boxed sets...

Just a few reasons to get a region-free player.

I think they're all Region 2.

Body of Evidence?? Is that the one with Madonna?? If so where did you get it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.