Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can purchasing pirated DVD/VCDs ever be condoned/justified?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Can purchasing pirated DVD/VCDs ever be condoned/justified?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by young
well, i broke down and bought the set and i have received it. here are my impressions and i apologize if i am repeating already stated info:

- there are three versions that i know of - 12 movies on 4 dvds, 12 movies on 6 dvds in picture cases and the same set in silverish cases.
- if it is a bootleg, it is very good. and it does state that it is licensed although i doubt that it is.
In case you still have doubts, this set IS a bootleg. It is not an offical licensed version. It cracks me up that they are putting their fake studio logo on the screen. Bootleggers are really pulling out the stops to make their products look legit.

It amazes me how people are rationalizing this. I examined this box set at a local anime dealer and even though he knows it's bootleg, he really doesn't care(his 300% markup may have something to do with it).

There is a letter writing campaign to get Disney to release the titles in R1. The legitimate releases are all coming out over the next year in R2 with English subs, so there is an alternative to purchasing this bootleg product. Please do not support bootlegs for not a dime ends up in the creator's pocket.

Sorry for sounding off about this, but I keep hearing more people rationalizing bootleg purchases as OK, by promising to also purchase the legit versions when the are released.

Pom Poko is the film with the racoons.
Old 09-26-01, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by nekobus

Sorry for sounding off about this, but I keep hearing more people rationalizing bootleg purchases as OK, by promising to also purchase the legit versions when the are released.
Who's rationalising? That is just what I do, and I feel no guilt as Studio Ghibli will eventually get my money

If I were to attempt to rationalise things, I would be using the region encoding issue, or the comparitively high cost of the Japanese product as my justification for buying the bootlegs.

regards, Tim...
Old 09-26-01, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for sounding off about this, but I keep hearing more people rationalizing bootleg purchases as OK, by promising to also purchase the legit versions when they are released.
Posted by nekobus
By the letter of the law, you are only allowed to buy within your country, the products released by the Studios in your country. A multi-region player is an acceptable problem that the studios understand and profit by, but do not publicly support. Every single time you buy 3 different versions of the same film because of the different contents this multiplies the earnings of a single title.
Since your location is not stated I do not know the Region you are in. Should you be lucky enough to live in the Region that releases titles, such as Miyazaki films, then I consider you blessed. Companies are not allowed to ship out of country, much less Region. By this definitive, but completely unenforced policy everyone is in the same situation. Every Region gets some releases wrong, while perhaps it is other Regions getting it remarkably right. Simply because the local store has something it illegally imported, does not excuse anyone buying it because they did not personally import it.
Yes, the money in this case will be going to bootleggers who are not going to share their money with the creators. But should I purchase the bootleg, in no way will this infringe on my buying each title when it is legally released. How can some set that contains 2 films on one side of a disc compare with the 3 disc release of "Mononoke" that is being released in "Not My Region" Region. Let us try to remember words such as "Pan & Scan", "videotape", "EP", "PAL", "VCR", "tracking" and "Edited for Television." These are the original films, with the original language, in its original aspect ratio, on DVD.
Should I wait for the absolute legal release of all these films in my Region, then dust may lie upon my tomb. This would seem patently unacceptable.
Old 09-27-01, 05:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Your points are well made, Preacher.

To the best of my knowledge, this site's policy is to discourage the purchase of out-and-out bootleg material: the provision of an International Forum and longstanding open discussions concerning regional encoding certainly suggest that that particular aspect of the trade is not problematic here.

My difficulty is in enforcing the anti-piracy policy without stifling debate and mangling peoples articles. The only option I can think of is to remove explicit URL (or similar references) but this itself is fraught since some people no doubt would seek to post warnings not to deal with particular etailers because their stock is suspect. These in turn might act as an advert to those who wish to go ahead and buy regardless!

People should not be surprised if, henceforth, they see occasional "official" thirdparty editing of posts in an attempt to achieve that difficult balance.

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum
Old 09-28-01, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by benedict
Your points are well made,Preacher.

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. We are talking apples and oranges here--it's two different things. Region encoding is an agreement between the various studios and DVD player manufacturers. It's not illegal to own or sell dvds to other regions. Amazon.com and other retailers would be breaking the law every time they shipped an overseas order.

It is however, illegal under the USC , the laws of various countries and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Copyright Treaty to duplicate and distribute a copyrighted work without the consent of the owner of said copyright.

Preacher stated that:
Every single time you buy 3 different versions of the same film because of the different contents this multiplies the earnings of a single title.

However, this not the case with these DVDs as they are not offically licensed by Studio Ghibli and they do not receive a dime for the sale of this set.

Originally posted by benedict
To the best of my knowledge, this site's policy is to discourage the purchase of out-and-out bootleg material

What I find problematic about this thread and why I feel it violates this site's policy is the following:

1. People are posting reviews of this bootleg DVD set which is encouraging others to purchase it.

Originally posted by young
overall, i think they are worth it.

2. There are alternatives as offically licensed versions are now available or will soon be released in R2 for now and a letter writing campaign is underway to encourage Disney to release them in R1. info here:http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/dis...etodisney.html

3."Anime is not a right. You are not owed anything." -Chris Beveridge, Owner, Anime on DVD
To buy a movie on DVD is not something we are OWED by anyone. It does not justify purchasing or condoning bootlegs.

I detect a double standard emerging here. If I had written a post to give a review and where to buy a bootleg VCD or DVD of the latest Hollywoood movie, everyone would be would be on my case and the post would be locked. However, here it's not because it's about Studio Ghibli's movies and everyone wants them. I feel this thread is encouraging the purchase of out-and-out bootlegs.

The bottom line is:

Yes, this Miyazaki collection is a bootleg. All of the Studio Ghibli films are being released on DVD in officially licensed R2 versions.

Last edited by nekobus; 09-28-01 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-28-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To nekobus
On certain parts of this, we will simply agree to let it be.
I would like to know a few things though. Should someone purchase a bootleg of a title, it will not stop them from re-purchasing it from a legitimate distributor. The extraordinary thing about DVD is the amount of information that is being made available to consumers. How could any bootlegger acquire Director's Commmentary/Deleted Scenes/Cast Interviews etc. If these have not been included on LD or some other format then they will rarely be doing that kind of work. The quality of work is also substandard in the sense of DVD's and the quality it has reached.
Business is simply business. Bootleggers, be it for liquor or software, are letting the market know that something is amiss. If they do not choose carefully what to do then they will be out of operation very quickly. You are correct concerning the laws of copyright and that no monies from these sales will go to Studio Ghibli.
Someone just offered me the best reason to discuss these issues. Links or URL's to direct sites is too much information, as this site would then be condoning and aiding the purchase of illegal product. But to not discuss this is to simply ignore an important area of DVD's. For Studios to realize the desire for product means people have to be talking about it. Not ignoring it. This is a fine line to dance, but I believe it is an important one. This sites apparent popularity enables it to be viewed by a wide swath of people. Perhaps even Disney.
If you are willing, I would still like to know what Region you are in.
Old 09-29-01, 06:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

For the debate to continue, would participants please remember not to include contact details of etailers supplying bootlegged/pirated product as this goes against the rules of the site. Among a variety of possible administrative measures, it may result in thread closure/deletion or the third-party editing of particular posts. My preference is to avoid this but it depends on the restraint/co-operation of members.

NB) If anyone feels that they detect double-standards, inconsistencies or whatever please either email me or click the link at the bottom of any problem post that says "Report this post to a moderator". I don't get to see everything at the same time as all members and deal with matters arising as I come across them during my periods of time online. It really is that simple!

Benedict
[email protected]
Moderator, International DVD & Movie Forum

Last edited by benedict; 09-29-01 at 06:42 AM.