Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bootlegging companies. I hate these people!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Bootlegging companies. I hate these people!

Old 09-25-01, 02:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VideoCD's2000 is a bootlegging company. I hate these people!

[Link deleted: company name left in subject header of this first post for context]

Jerks. Selling VCD's as DVD's, mostly illegal bootlegs. I just read a post by someone who thought they were buying a legal DVD release of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. They got a VCD in the mail that works in DVD players. VCD quality.

The fact that these people can operate out in the open says something about the FBI and Interpol, two organizations that are supposed to stop this kind of thing.

Last edited by benedict; 09-29-01 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-25-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... I won't swear on it, but I'm pretty certain that if that 'someone' got a (meaning one) disc containing ROTLA, it must indeed have been a DVD, and not a 'Video-CD' (a.k.a. VCD) ... for a very simple reason: every feature movie on VCD takes up at least two discs...

...so, quite apart from the quality of the transfer, and leaving aside the question of whether this disc is, or is not, a 'bootleg', that 'someone' received exactly what is advertised on the site you so generously referred to...

. . . . . .
Old 09-25-01, 04:48 PM
Cool New Member

Unfortunately, they are not the only ones out there selling bootleg DVD's. I could probably list 10 - 20 more sites that do the same.

These places sell VCD's (actually, they are usually legal ones) and DVD's (which are mostly bootlegs). Not sure what is meant by "selling VCD's as DVD's". They may be poor quality, but I agree with Hendrik, they are actually DVD's. However, the source for these bootleg DVD's more often than not comes from laserdiscs.

They do suck for selling them, but someone who buys titles that have obviously not been released is only asking for trouble. Too bad you just can't trust that they are what you think they will be!
Old 09-25-01, 06:24 PM

The DVD was very clearly from an MPEG1 VCD master. Pixels everywhere. "Unwatchable" is how it was termed. That's what I mean by VCD's as DVDs.
Old 09-26-01, 05:11 PM

Matt,

would you have a link to that post you refer to? To me it all sounds a bit like somebody more or less knowingly buying a bootleg and then complaining about crappy quality ...
Don't get me wrong, I hate bootleggers like you do, but I find people complaining about bad bootlegs a bit hypocritical to say the least.
Old 09-26-01, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by thalion
Matt,

would you have a link to that post you refer to? To me it all sounds a bit like somebody more or less knowingly buying a bootleg and then complaining about crappy quality ...
Don't get me wrong, I hate bootleggers like you do, but I find people complaining about bad bootlegs a bit hypocritical to say the least.
That was precisely what I was thinking. How on earth would someone find their way to a site such as VideoCDS2000 in the first place (unless of course they were looking for VCDs), and then not be more than just a little supicious upon seeing the very up-front advertising for the Star Wars trilogy on DVD on the main page?

regards, Tim...
Old 09-27-01, 01:10 AM

I don't know why anyone would make the buyer of bogus DVDs the fall guy. Some con artists set up a site, promise something they can't deliver and figure they are home free. I once ordered some HK vcds from a site that turned out to be selling bootleg Malaysian knockoffs of the real thing. Is that my fault, or the low lives who sold defective merchandise?
Thanks to places like dddhouse and hivizone, selling legitimate HK goods at a reasonable price, fewer people bother with rip-off websites.
Old 09-27-01, 01:27 PM

She didn't realize. Some told her that other countries have DVD's we don't and pointed her there. She posted how happy she was that she could get these films on DVD. I tried to tell her that they were bootlegs and she couldn't understand how anyone could get away with doing that.

When the DVD arrived, she realized I wasn't full of it.

The forum is private, but here is the test from the posts that are still there:

PAL is not a requirement on all of them. I read somewhere that many titles are released in parts of Asia immediately if they are not scheduled for theatrical release for 'cultural' reasons. May be the case here - I'll post after I have a chance to view one.
and...

Doh!! I already did, somewhat, by ordering Raiders....just thought I'd give it a try. My brother got a copy of Phantom Menace LAST YEAR on E-Bay....an Asian DVD or VCD (likely VCD). It was most assuredly not a bootleg....had preamble warnings and studio credits, etc. Only catch was that the menus were in Kanji....not readable. The pic quality and sound were fine, however (this was on a standard set with no out-board speakers though).

Doh!! I already did, somewhat, by ordering Raiders....just thought I'd give it a try. My brother got a copy of Phantom Menace LAST YEAR on E-Bay....an Asian DVD or VCD (likely VCD). It was most assuredly not a bootleg....had preamble warnings and studio credits, etc. Only catch was that the menus were in Kanji....not readable. The pic quality and sound were fine, however (this was on a standard set with no out-board speakers though).

I must say I have no desire to support an illegal industry. BUT.....if this is legit and it is a LEGAL overseas release, I will be VERY tempted to order the Star Wars trilogy. I would put it in the same line as sneaking a box of Cuban Cigars into the States from Canada. Any serious failings in my logic? Also, Matt.....do you KNOW that this is a bootleg site, or is that just your knee-jerk reaction (as was mine) upon seeing DVDs for sale that are not available in the West. I spent a couple of years in Asia and know that there are some DVDs available there LEGALLY that you cannot get here. They are usually region encoded - but with the mass production of all-region players available now, maybe studios have relaxed there encoding requirements and are relying on the foreign language menus to discourage Western importing? Just a thought.....
and...

Don't know what the difference is. However, I did just get my Raiders "DVD". It turns out it is merely a Video CD formatted to play on a DVD player. It plays fine on my RP56 and my first generation Toshiba DVD player, so I'm sure they will play on any. It is very professionally packaged with credits, etc, so I do not believe these are pirated. The caviat, however, is that on my 47" HD ready tv the picture looks like Dog @#it!!! Just like normal VHS. Now, if you have a standard def TV, the pic quality is fine, and it is kind of convenient having chapter search, etc. IOW, if you only have a normal TV, I'd jump all over the Star Wars Trilogy. These are not suited for high-def TVs though - watchable....but just barely.
and...

I stand corrected - you're probably right. Now that I think about it, the menu is very cheaply done, and it was mailed from Malasia - in a hand-addressed wrapper. I stand corrected - you're probably right. Now that I think about it, the menu is very cheaply done, and it was mailed from Malasia - in a hand-addressed wrapper.
In any event, I would never buy from them again because of the poor quality even if they were legit. Oh well, I guess I just dropped $20 for a conversation piece.