Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Master Q 2001 and DVD Megashow?????

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-15-01, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems to be interesting. Has anyone watched this? I would like some input. Thanks!

Also, anyone know what the DVD Megashow is all about?

I would also like to know if anyone have info on how the Western movies are from www.dddhouse.com. Are they like the way they are here or they pretty bad?

Last edited by princessducky; 09-15-01 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-15-01, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't seen the Megashow DVD, but I was curious myself. It appears to be DD5.1 and not DTS, so I passed. I bought the Ultimate DVD Platinum awhile back and felt that I wasted my money. I don't know what they would put on this Megashow DVD, but I'd guess that there would be every Dolby trailer imaginable since they are so fond of them. I guess I would imagine there to be scenes from some movies as well, but that's just a guess. Let us know.
Old 09-15-01, 09:00 PM

DVD MegaShow is somewhat of an oddity, but a nice disc nonetheless. It is presented as an introduction to the DVD format, and a way to see what it has to offer. There are various segments from Mei Ah films, used to show the capability to have different subtitles, different angles, different languages, etc.

There is also some discussion on the different types of DVD (single layer, dual layer, etc.) and some footage of the Mei Ah DVD pressing plant in action.

All in all, it's not astounding, but is a very nice introduction for newcomers to the possibilities of DVD; and for others, it would serve as a nice "look what my surround sound system can do" type of demo disc. It does have several Dolby trailers (the Train, the Helicopter, the Egyptian sort of thing, and maybe another...).

If anyone has more specific questions about this one, feel free to email me or post here. I think it's in the clearance center at HKFlix at the moment, here is the DVDTalk link to that section of the HKFlix site:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/show.cl.../qx/titles.htm
Old 09-16-01, 02:05 AM

Master Q 2001

Master Q 2001 is a technically well made movie with an intentionally dumb script. The target audience seems to be sub-teenagers. Cecilia Cheung as the teacher looks great, Nicholas Tse coasts in his role as a cop with memory problems. The mix of live action and animation is well done.

The DVD has DTS, animated menus and subtitles sized just right.
Chinastar did a fine production job with this DVD. Top Hong Kong movie talent worked on this action comedy. Master Q 2001 should have been better.