Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

If You See One Film At Toronto...

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-10-01, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my friends got me a pass to the press screening of a movie called "Manic" tonight (Sept. 9) and it was easily the most intense, best acted film I've seen in the festival so far. Actually, it might be the best film I've seen all year. It stars Don Cheadle (Traffic) and Joseph Gordon Levitt (that kid from Third Rock From the Sun). It's like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with a teenage cast, but unlike EVERY other piece of **** teen movie out there, this one actually takes a hard look at real issues without making everything in a teenager's world seem like a ****ing joke. I was so relieved to finally see something about young people where the acting is real and the dialogue doesn't sound like some forty year old trying to write words for a sixteen year old. Don Cheadle gives one of those performances that reminds you of actors like DeNiro in the seventies, and Joseph Gordon Levitt totally sheds that stupid character he plays on the sitcom to expertly portray an extremely violent kid who gets locked into a mental institution for a couple weeks after almost beating a classmate to death. I didn't even recognize him for the first half of the movie. Everyone else in the cast also gave really layered, subtle performances that totally suck you into this world. If you think movies where a kid superglues his dick to his hand should define contemporary cinema, stay away from "Manic", but if you want to see something that represents the best of hardcore dramatic filmaking, DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE. It screens for the public this Wednesday and Friday, and I heard Don Cheadle might show for one of the screenings. Please trust me when I tell you that this blows away even the most "serious" teen films such as the overwrought "Bully" and the preachy "O".