Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

suggestions on Storm Riders, The Sword, others....

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-01, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted to the DVDTalk forum, but it seems like this would be more appropriate in this forum, and I also have some more questions now. So....

Since HKFlix has Stormriders and The Sword for sale, as well as a free priority shipping coupon, I thought I would take the plunge and purchase some HK flicks. I am also interested in OUATIC 1 & 2, Tai Chi Master, Iron Monkey, and the uncut version of Fist of Legend. After talking with some people, though, I really don't know which versions of these to get or where I should get them.

What versions of these films do people recommend? For instance, I have been told that the Universe version of Stormriders is much better than the version being offered by HKFlix in the package deal. What are people's opinion on this? What about "definitive" versions of the other movies? And finally, would people be so kind as to direct me where I should make some of these purchases? ;-) I want to make good purchases the first time around...I don't want to regret them later on.

Thanks so much! I will appreciate any and all answers!
David
Old 09-08-01, 02:30 AM

Re: suggestions on Storm Riders, The Sword, others....

Originally posted by drindustrial
I posted to the DVDTalk forum, but it seems like this would be more appropriate in this forum, and I also have some more questions now. So....

Since HKFlix has Stormriders and The Sword for sale, as well as a free priority shipping coupon, I thought I would take the plunge and purchase some HK flicks. I am also interested in OUATIC 1 & 2, Tai Chi Master, Iron Monkey, and the uncut version of Fist of Legend. After talking with some people, though, I really don't know which versions of these to get or where I should get them.

What versions of these films do people recommend? For instance, I have been told that the Universe version of Stormriders is much better than the version being offered by HKFlix in the package deal. What are people's opinion on this? What about "definitive" versions of the other movies? And finally, would people be so kind as to direct me where I should make some of these purchases? ;-) I want to make good purchases the first time around...I don't want to regret them later on.

Thanks so much! I will appreciate any and all answers!
David
www.asiandvdguide.com - make use of it, it was created for just these reasons.

Addressing your Region concerns: Most HK titles are R0, Region coded discs are usually limited to US-HK cooproductions or Korean, Japanese films, or American/European films.

Best versions:

Storm Riders: Universe HK release, region 0. Mandarin dubs suck unless done by the original cast, which is extroidinarily rare for obvious reasons (my naturally biased opinion).

Tai Chi Master: Universe OOP HK Release, region 0. Remastered
HK release from Universe isn't as good as the original. I pity those who tried to pawn off the OOP release for a quick buck on ebay when they knew a newer version was coming.

OUATIC1+2: HKL Pal releases, R2(?), 2nd choice is the HK Megastar discs, avoid Columbia's botched R1 discs (fake anamorphic transfers are garbage, and becoming a Columbia standard with their HK releases, get a clue Columbia).

Iron Monkey: HKL Pal release, 2nd choice HK Megastar.

Fist of Legend: Out of print out of production HK LD. I don't really recommend any dvd release of the film for obvious reasons.

Where to buy:

HK:

www.dddhouse.com - the zealots have spoken! Are they packaging their orders any better these days for those not buying in bulk? Allways seemed to get better service if buying more with these guys, logical but annoying.

US:

www.pokerindustries.com or www.hkflix.com
Old 09-08-01, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Storm Riders: Universe HK release, region 0. Mandarin dubs suck unless done by the original cast, which is extroidinarily rare for obvious reasons (my naturally biased opinion).

I agree.

Tai Chi Master: Universe OOP HK Release, region 0. Remastered HK release from Universe isn't as good as the original.

I think I got the remaster and it's fine. The US version (Twin Warriors) is cut some and dub only.

OUATIC1+2: HKL Pal releases, R2(?), 2nd choice is the HK Megastar discs, avoid Columbia's botched R1 discs (fake anamorphic transfers are garbage, and becoming a Columbia standard with their HK releases, get a clue Columbia).

I have the US version of OUATIC 1 and it's great. Decent transfer and the extras are worth it. The commentary by Rik Meyers (HK trivia geek) is informative and interesting. It has easy to read subs and as a bonus they include the english version for your friends who are new to HK cinema. I have the Megastar versions of OUATIC 2 and 3 from HK and the transfers are fine (decent, but not as good as the US one) and the subtitles have a few mistakes here and there. I also have Once Upon a Time in China and America in 2 versions - the more expensive one (China Star I think) is horrible because the subtitles lag behind the dialogue by 30 seconds to a minute or so. Annoying. Transfer is good though. I would suggest just getting the box set from Columbia. I think they treated it fairly nice.

Iron Monkey: HKL Pal release, 2nd choice HK Megastar.

I have the MegaStar version and I like it. I don't have the HKL version or the US version, but you can't go wrong with Megastar (usually).

Fist of Legend: Out of print out of production HK LD. I don't really recommend any dvd release of the film for obvious reasons.

The US version is cut and in english dub only. The expensive and sought after uncut Ritek DVD is not worth the money. Not original language anyway. I didn't think the movie was all that great anyway - the fighting was exceptional though so it's a must-have. I'd just suggest getting the US version because all the movie is good for is the fighting and the Ritek DVD is just too much money.
Old 09-09-01, 04:09 PM

Hmmmm....asiandvdguide.com doesn't seem to be all that helpful. I was hoping it would be more of a resource. It doesn't even have a seach function, so trying to find out info about older HK movies is rather pointless. Are there any other good resources out there?

I think I am going to take the plunge and buy a few things from HKFlix.com since they have the sale going on, and if I like the movies, I may consider upgrading what I have if better versions exist. So, I guess you guys will be hearing from me again soon after I have made some purchases and had the chance to watch the DVDs.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
David
Old 09-09-01, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by drindustrial
Hmmmm....asiandvdguide.com doesn't seem to be all that helpful. I was hoping it would be more of a resource. It doesn't even have a seach function, so trying to find out info about older HK movies is rather pointless. Are there any other good resources out there?
Doesn't have a search function??? I think you should go back and take another look as there is most definitely a search function on left hand portion of the page. There is also the option of choosing to view Hong Kong, Japanese, Korean etc releases.

regards, Tim...