Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My latest order... opinions?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-07-01, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

So I just placed a large order with DDDHouse - originally only ordered Shaolin Soccer, but I'm so indecisive I added Love on a Diet and then a few days later asked them to remove Love on a Diet (because the VCD is just fine) and add a few other titles - Johnny was fed up with me so he cancelled my order and asked me to place a new order - so I ordered like 20 DVDs. lol

Here's my order - how lame or how good are these films? I know some of them are probably really bad, but hopefully a few are good.

Shaolin Soccer - DVD
Para Para Sakura - DVD
Ultimatum - DVD
Heroes In Love - DVD
F***/Off - DVD
Juvenile - DVD
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father - DVD
Hit Team - DVD
Lifeline(DVD-9) - DVD
Needing You - DVD
Mission, The - DVD
Legend of the Wolf - DVD
Hero Never Die, A - DVD
Comrades-Almost a love story - DVD
Big Bullet - DVD
Bakery Amour - DVD
For Badboys Only - DVD
Future Cop - DVD
Downtown Torpedoes - DVD
Skyline Crulsers - DVD
Double Tap (DTS Version) - DVD
Old 09-07-01, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hehe! While I can not comment on any of the titles you have ordered as I have not seen them, I noticed that my current orders have some titles matching yours. I am only just now delving into HK titles. In the past my experiences have been mostly with Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and a few Chow Yun Fat. I have tried to select a sampling of HK movies based on comments/reviews I've read here and elsewhere. (note: several are not HK movies though)

Ditto what Trigger asked: "How lame or good are these films?" (I've already seen Fist of Legend and know it rocks!)
DVDs currently on order:

- Shaolin Soccer
- Accidental Spy
- Expect The Unexpected
- Mission, The
- Storm Riders, The
- Jiang Hu - The Triad Zone
- Beast Cops
- Hit Team
- Iron Monkey
- Skyline Cruisers
- Purple Storm
- Jackie Chan: My Stunts (Documentary)
- God Of Cookery
- City On Fire
- Full Contact
- Bichunmoo
- Nang Nak
- Shiri [SE DTS 2-Disc Set]
- Fist Of Legend [Uncut]
- Nowhere To Hide [Uncut]
- City War

I am very anxious to watch all of these movies. The wait is killing me! I ordered from hivizone (2 separate orders) and 1 order from hkflix. From the comments I've read, I should expect the hivizone orders around 2 wks from my order date?

cheers,
Gabe
Old 09-07-01, 10:34 AM

gabe,

Here's some advice on your selections:

Originally posted by gabegarwick
- Iron Monkey
- Purple Storm
- Jackie Chan: My Stunts (Documentary)

If you can play region 2 and PAL format then get the UK HKL versions. They have far superior video and some cool special features. The JC: My Stunts is on a DVD with My Story as well. Much better deals (though more expensive).

- Bichunmoo

Don't get the HK version from Deltamac. It's fullscreen and the movie really suffers in fullscreen. Get the Korean 2 disc special edition (it's region 3 though).

- Shiri [SE DTS 2-Disc Set]

Great choices. Both are excellent DVDs and films.
Old 09-07-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I can comment on is A Hero Never Dies: a very good movie (the bar scene is one of the coolest in recent memory), with probably the worst transfer of any HK movie I own. Just be prepared for it.
Old 09-07-01, 11:15 AM

Hehe

Here are some commments on the DVD's I've seen.

Shaolin Soccer - DVD - Pretty funny film. One of Chow's best films. 9/10
Hit Team - DVD - Great action film. 9/10
Mission, The - DVD - Not as good as what I expected. The transfer is very bad. 7/10
Bakery Amour - DVD - Decent love movie. 7/10
For Badboys Only - The cover looks cool, and that's about it. 6/10
Skyline Crulsers - Hong Kong version of Mission Impossible. 7/10
Accidental Spy - Not as good as the other films by Jackie. 7/10
Expect The Unexpected - What happened to the ending of this movie? 6/10

Last edited by willys188; 09-07-01 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-07-01, 11:32 AM

Re: My latest order... opinions?

Shaolin Soccer - DVD
also got this on order (who hasn't?), and from all the positive comments, it looks like I won't be disappointed by the film and the disc If Universe's current trend continues.

Para Para Sakura - DVD
Widesight... fingers crossed that the higher price accounts for something, eh? Have'nt seen it. Not in a rush to see it, especially with the muted reponse to it, but Jingle Ma's cinematography is always nice to watch IMO .

Ultimatum - DVD
Michael Wong But if you look at the link http://pub5.ezboard.com/fhongkongdvd...icID=797.topic , it might be interesting, but could it be like "For Bad Boys Only" 's trailer?

F***/Off - DVD
A bit disapointing, in that it isn't a action film, and it isn't the funniest film I've seen to boot. Very simple, very linear, and Cheung Tat Ming doing his usual fish out of water routine. What I mean is that it isn't a demanding film, and very little happens.

Hit Team - DVD
A good film with a nice selection of extras. The trailer probably emphasises too much on the action, because it's more slow moving than it makes you believe, more character development than the action.

Lifeline(DVD-9) - DVD
Firemen and stuff like that, but a well done film. Like Big Bullet but with hoses rather than guns.

Needing You - DVD
Haven't seen LOAD, but the film that said to me that Hong Kong can still do good romantic comedies. Just have the VCD, but I'll upgrade it soon enough.

Mission, The - DVD
One of the coolest films released in Hong Kong in the past few years, and the subtle things really make it so interesting. Feels much like a Kurosawa film but with guns.

Legend of the Wolf - DVD
Donnie Yen does some great kung fu here, although the film isn't that great plot wise (cliche'd IMO), but the greatest fault is the films presented in Pan and Scan, with the subtitles getting snipped every so often (burnt in subtitles). Crappyu transfer doesn't help either.

Hero Never Die, A - DVD
So good I ended up with 3 copies (4 if you count the VCD). Although the Mission is better, there's some qualities here that Johnnie To took to that film. A good heroic bloodshed title in the fashion of the 80s and early 90s.

Big Bullet - DVD
Better than Gen-X-Cops and Gen-Y-Cops (all directed by Benny Chan), has some really good shoot outs, with the leads fleshing out their characters rather than 2 dimensional characters. Just a shame about the ending, slightly underwhelmed by it.

For Badboys Only - DVD
The trailer promised so much, but it was disappointing in the end. Lump it along China Strike force in the disappointment category, because seriously speaking it drags around wanting to be love story, action, comedy drama and falls flat on everything. Good transfer though and Shu Qi looks nice and pretty when it calls for it.

Downtown Torpedoes - DVD
A well done action film, sort of Purple Storm era. Although not as good, it has some competant action and has a well written story.

Skyline Crulsers - DVD
Supposed to be a sequal to Downtown Torpedoes, but it tries too hard, and... although not as bad as Gen-Y-Cops, it's still a muddled turkey IMO, action scenes that try too hard to make the leads look cool.

A decent film, although not action in the heroic bloodshed genre, it's a well acted look at someone that loses his senses and plays reality like a game.
Old 09-07-01, 12:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: My latest order... opinions?

I've seen:
Needing You
- Awesome movie, 10/10. Sammi Cheung was cute in that movie. Very funny.

Bakery Amour
- I liked this movie but I would give it only 8/10.

Storm Riders
- Very popular movie, and the DVD costs a lot. It's a good movie, not a lot of fighting action but enjoyable if you like the soap opera stuff. 8.7/10

Shiri
- a big dissappointment. Average film at best. 5/10

Jiang Hu - The Triad Zone
- this dvd froze on me about 1/3 of the way in the movie, so better check your dvd when you get it, I think a lot of them are defective.

I have but haven't seen yet:
For Badboys Only
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father
Purple Storm

I have these on order:
Shaolin Soccer - DVD
Para Para Sakura - DVD
Love on a Diet
Fighting for Love
Lost and Found
Love is not a game but a Joke
When I look upon the stars
The Top Bet
Growing UP (vcd)
Twin Peaks

Last edited by IC_Freeze; 09-07-01 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-07-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gabegarwick,

Beast Cops, Iron Monkey, God Of Cookery, & Full Contact are some of my absolute favorites. It's the relationship between the 3 cops & their women & especially the performance of Anthony Wong that makes Beast Cops so great. & Full Contact has some of the most entertaining cartoon villains ever. It's so much fun to watch Simon Yam in this. You should have a very good time. Expect the Unexpected isn't bad, but I didn't think it was as great as many people say.

Trigger,

Future Cops is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If you haven't already, you'd do much better to see Jackie Chan's City Hunter. Some people are down on it but aside from the inexplicable musical number in the middle, I think it's lots of fun. It's a goofy Wong Jing movie based on the anime (or was it a manga?) & has the famous fight scene with Jackie & others turning into Street Fighter II characters & a nice Bruce Lee homage. I like that it's not just Jackie in this one & everybody is featured with a cool action scene. Leon Lai will make you think Gambit from the X-Men could be a cool character...

I haven't seen many on your list. A Hero Never Dies is pretty good. I should watch that again. Comrades is a big favorite. I felt so burned by the dreadful Ballistic Kiss that I'm leery of Legend of the Wolf. Needing You & Big Bullet are on my list for my next order. I'm also curious about He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father.
Old 09-07-01, 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the responses! (and for making me feel welcome as a newbie here).

yangshouwen,
I have a question/correction? Your comment on Skyline Cruisers says 'sequel to Downtown Torpedoes'. I was under this impression also. But...

If you go to www.goldenharvest.com and go to skyline cruisers, english, and then synopsis. It says- that "SC is NOT the sequel to Downtown Torpedoes. All previous references to the contrary were erroneous."

Now I'm confused, first they say 'sequel' then later, 'not a sequel'?
Honest mistake, or just trying to disassociate the two movies?

carnifern,
I will take your different region versions under advisement as I just found out how to make my AIWA player whatever region I like Thanks!

cheers,
Gabe
Old 09-08-01, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy Hyjack BATMAN! - I was reading and didn't think my list would be addressed. Thanks especially to yangshouwen and thanks to the rest of you who provided some insight. I appreciate it - I don't feel like I ordered too many turkeys now. I've seen Shaolin Soccer and it's good - I wrote a review of it in the "Who's seen Shaolin Soccer?" thread.

Here's what I figured...

Shaolin Soccer - DVD - seen it and can't wait for the DVD

Para Para Sakura - DVD - this is basically for my girlfriend because I could care less about some stupid dance.

Ultimatum - DVD - took a chance with this one - the cover looked cool enough and every once in awhile I'll buy something without knowing a thing about it.

Heroes In Love - DVD - I had seen a trailer for this and it looked good in a sundance film festival sort of way... kind of like Four Rooms meets Kids or something.

F***/Off - DVD - read mixed reviews and the title has been nagging at me for a long time - it was cheap so what the hell.

Juvenile - DVD - this is a Japanese kid's movie that looks like Explorers with River Phoenix (remember that one?)

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father - DVD - This is supposed to be similar to Back To the Future - I picked up City on Fire because of the Reservoir Dogs ties and didn't see the connection - wanted to see what the fuss was about with this one.

Hit Team - DVD - Heard good things

Lifeline(DVD-9) - DVD - Backdraft in HK - heard good things.

Needing You - DVD - I've been getting into romantic comedies lately

Mission, The - DVD - I heard good things (but I don't remember what they were.

Legend of the Wolf - DVD - I heard this movie sucked, but threw it in anyway just to see for myself.

Hero Never Die, A - DVD - Again - heard good things, but I can't remember now what they were.

Comrades-Almost a love story - DVD - This is supposed to be a really good film I heard.

Big Bullet - DVD - mixed reviews, but enough good reviews to make me want to pick it up.

Bakery Amour - DVD - I keep seeing the title of this everywhere so I just figured it might be good or something.

For Badboys Only - DVD - Is this the one where Shu Qi clones herself? I dig that chick. I heard this one ripped off the Matrix (which was borrowing from HK cinema) - ironic, eh?

Future Cop - DVD - I have City Hunter and I liked parts of it. As a fan of anime, I had already seen the City Hunter anime so getting the Jackie Chan version was a no-brainer. I picked this up knowing it would suck, but it has that dude that my girlfriend likes and a bunch of other big namers, so what the hell...

Downtown Torpedoes - DVD - I heard this was initially intended to be a sequel, but they scrapped the idea and just rewrote it as it's own movie... the sequel thing stuck and I think it disappointed fans of Skyline Cruisers.

Skyline Crulsers - DVD - Thought I'd see for myself - heard mixed reviews, but mostly bad.

Double Tap (DTS Version) - DVD - If it's got DTS, then it's probably a big deal movie - so I assume. We'll see.
Old 09-08-01, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

- Shaolin Soccer - It's good

- Accidental Spy - It's mediocre... Jackie's lost it kinda, but it has a few moments - to be honest I fell asleep 2/3 of the way through and haven't bothered to pop it in again to finish it.

- Expect The Unexpected - no clue

- Mission, The - see comments in above post

- Storm Riders, The - I wasn't as impressed with this as I thought I would be... Nor did I care much for Man Called Hero, but I like the genre alot. Too drama driven perhaps? I liked the Duel more.

- Jiang Hu - The Triad Zone - I have yet to get into Triad films as most people seem to hate them - most reviews of Triad movies just say " ugh... another triad movie? when will it stop?" So maybe there are good ones, I just need someone to tell me what it's all about and show me what to pick up. I'm not into mobster movies or gangster movies either.

- Beast Cops - I was expecting this to be better. I fell asleep watching this too... moved really slow. I'll surely pop it in again though.

- Hit Team - see comments in above post

- Iron Monkey - Classic - can't go wrong here.

- Skyline Cruisers - see comments in above post

- Purple Storm - I liked this more than most people. I found it to have some decent twists to it and the DVD presentation was great.

- Jackie Chan: My Stunts (Documentary) - boring, but kinda interesting. The HK dvd is great because there is english on one side and he re-does the whole thing in Cantonese on the other side - not just the audio either, the whole thing pretty much. The sound is great too. Nothing wrong with this DVD as the guy above stated. I don't have the HKL version and it may be better, but this one is pretty tight and it's region free. I promptly sold it though because I wasn't interested.

- God Of Cookery - My favorite Stephen Chow film - this will make you a fan and you will want all his movies. If it doesn't make you laugh your head off, then you probably won't dig most of his other stuff either... except for Shaolin Soccer which has a wider appeal I think.

- City On Fire - I picked this up and it had nothing to do with Reservoir Dogs as many people seem to claim that Quentin T. ripped of Reservoir Dogs entirely from this film. Maybe I got up to get a beer when this scene supposedly took place or something. The film was mediocre at best.

- Full Contact - See my comments above.

- Bichunmoo - The Tai Seng version is a repackaged Deltamac version. This is indeed fullscreen, but it's not that bad. It's got great sound and decent picture. I may upgrade at some point if I hear good things about the 2 disc version. I also bought Shiri twice - the single disc and then the double disc edition which blows it away. Shiri is a great film also.

- Nang Nak - no clue

- Shiri [SE DTS 2-Disc Set] - ahh yes -

- Fist Of Legend [Uncut] - eh... I didn't see the big deal with the extra scenes or the original language. True it changes things a bit, but it's still a stupid movie - only reason to see it is to watch Jet Li kick major ass - this is probably the best demonstration of his ability - too bad the movie was dumb. Plus - it may be subtitled, but it's not even the original language. Argh. I think the US version is fine.

- Nowhere To Hide [Uncut] - I dunno.

- City War - no idea.
Old 09-09-01, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gabegarwick
cheers,
Gabe [/B]
- Shaolin Soccer - 7.5 /10
- Accidental Spy - 7/10
- Expect The Unexpected ??
- Mission, The ??
- Storm Riders, The 8/10
- Jiang Hu - The Triad Zone ??
- Beast Cops 8/10 (the ending is great!)
- Hit Team ??
- Iron Monkey 9.5/10
- Skyline Cruisers 8.5/10
- Purple Storm 7/10
- Jackie Chan: My Stunts (Documentary) 8/10
- God Of Cookery 8/10
- City On Fire 8/10
- Full Contact 9/10
- Bichunmoo 9/10
- Nang Nak ??
- Shiri [SE DTS 2-Disc Set] - A Solid 8/10
- Fist Of Legend [Uncut] - 10/10 (the movie, not the disc)
- City War - 7/10

YOU GOT A GOOD LIST HERE BRO! ENJOY!
AX
Old 09-15-01, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK - since I had to wait - I added a bunch of titles to my list. Now my order is at 30 DVDs. It will probably get tied up at customs for a year. This sucks... but having my package delayed is the least of my worries right now. I'm just trying to get my mind off the news for awhile...

So what do you guys think of my titles? Any complete garbage in here?

Born Wild
Memento Mori
Shaolin Soccer
Para Para Sakura
Ultimatum
Master Q 2001 - mostly out of curiousity.
Top Bet, The
Armageddon - since they lowered the price, it made it worth it just to check out.
Bakery Amour
Ashes of time
Big Bullet
Comrades-Almost a love story
Double Tap (DTS Version)
Downtown Torpedoes
Extreme crisis ‚a
F***/Off
For Badboys Only
Future Cop
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father
Hero Never Dies, A
Hit Team
Hot War
Legend of the Wolf
Lifeline
Mission, The
Needing You
Skyline Crulsers
Young and Dangerous
Juvenile
Young and Dangerous V 98 - just thought I'd add a couple of Y&D movies - this one had Shu Qi in it, so why not...
Old 09-15-01, 01:45 AM

Extreme Crisis isn't the best choice if you want to take your mind off the news at the moment. (IMO)
Old 09-15-01, 03:11 AM

Unfortunately, I can't help on the quality of the DVDs of the movies because I see most of these on VCDs, but I'll see waht I can do on the quality of the movies.
Memento Mori: Just finished this one today. Unfortunately my VCD was in fullscreen and released by Mei-Ah. THe audio on the VCD was really good. The movie as a whole is eerily beautiful and if you're expecting a hardcore horror movie you may be diappointed. It actually has the feel of an art film with some really engaging performances. And most of the movie is a love story between 2 girls in a Korean all-girl High School.
Shaolin Soccer: Agreeing with everyone else's comments here. I've read in a different thread that the DVD is great. Mine should be shipped as soon as FAA allows flights to continue. Which means by next week.
Master Q 2001- a cute movie to watch with the kids. Will definitely help to keep your mind off the news. The computer animation for most of the time is not bad, and I think the DVD has a DTS soundtrack.
Armageddon-haven't seen it in a while but I remember liking it a whole bit when I first saw it. Since you might want to stay away from anything terrorist, this is one you want to keep on hold. And the plot might confuse you a bit.
For bad Boys Only: I don't even know why I bothered to check this out. I pretty much gave in to the posters but the people who carried guns in the poster, only about 3 of them really carry a gun in the movie. No offense to any Shu Qi fans out there, but she really really irritated me this time around. And to think I liked her in City of Glass.
Hit Team-The action was decent for such a low-budget movie, but the plot never really came together for me. Too many melodramatic subplots, and there was a unintentionally funny car chase where it was so obvious that the car was being sped up using editing.
Skyline Cruisers-I had to keep myself from sleeping during this one. Interesting beginning, the plot once again never really came together. Too complicated for its own good into the point of no credibility and they completely wasted Shu Qi this time around.
The Mission-No need to say, very cool movie.
Needing You-Loved the movie the first two times around, then I went and read the original novel and loved the novel a whole lot more because its ending was much more anticlimatic then the absurd ending in the movie.
Young and Dangerous-Classic, no doubt about it, I've heard not-so-good things for the DVD though.
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father-I believe that it's a movie where Lau Ching Wan tries to get along with his son or something like that. Another nice little comedy good for the family.
Lifeline-good popcorn movie
Double Tap-a styilishly directed thriller. Some good action sequences involving guns, but gets quite bloody starting at the 2nd act. Leslie Cheung gave a good performance as the bad guy, at least in my opinion. The DTS-soundtrack should be quite a kick-a$$ one.
Old 09-15-01, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Darn, Trigger! Your ordered list looks like my wish list! I have a modest 8 on order from DDDHouse at the moment.

I really love "The Mission", though the Mei Ah disc looks VERY poor. There's some kind of image burn in it that is very apparent in some scenes. Aside from that, the film is great! While it's not a slam-bam action film, I loved that contrast between their mundane, boring waiting times, and the moments when they're suddenly called to action. The highlight is a shootout at an empty shopping mall, which very effectively uses stillness and camera movements.

I got "Heroes in Love" out of curiosity to see the segment directed by Nicholas Tse and Stephen Fung. Overall an interesting trio of stories, though I feel I need to see it again to fully grasp certain points. Very stylishly edited, particular Tse and Fung's "My Beloved" and Wing Shya's "Kidnapped".

Let us hear your views after you receive and view your order! I've been meaning to get "Master Q 2001" for a while, except it's kind of expensive! And eventually, many other titles you listed!
Old 09-15-01, 10:48 PM

Hehe! I 2nd that rkndkn!
Slow down Trigger! You're outpacing us!
I look forward to your thoughts of Double Tap, (it's on my wish list also...)

Let's see.... I received an email Friday 9/14 from hivizone that Jackie Chan-My Stunts was/is out of stock and asking that I choose a replacement title. I chose King of Beggars... now I've got that & God of Cookery on the way from Chow...

On another note...
Is it normal for hivizone to take a long time fulfilling orders?
(I ordered 8/30 and 9/3 and they're just now telling me what's out of stock? (I know at least that my 9/3 order hasn't shipped yet.) How long should I expect to wait for my orders?

cheers,
Gabe
Old 09-16-01, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the help... I'll try to slow down.

Gabe - I would say that's an excessively long time to process especially for older titles. perhaps they were trying to get it in stock and figured you wouldn't want to wait anymore... or they thought they had a shipment coming in. Hivi is a good store for sure, but I prefer DDDHouse. I would say King of Beggers is a much better choice than My Stunts. I thought My stunts was lame. It had outstanding sound, and the DVD itself is technically great... the content is only interesting once though I'm afraid. A rental for sure. King of Beggers is a great comedy and God of Cookery as you may know is my favorite.

WAAAAHHH! lol

I'll let you guys know on the other titles as I watch them... I don't want to waste space by adding a thread to the board, so I'll just tell you guys here... I watched Fist Power and Blacksheep Affair tonight. I couldn't finishe Fist Power because it was really really lame. Blacksheep started out really promising. I was even able to look past the horrible looping job at first - however, it just started to get kinda boring halfway through. Man Cheuk Chiu does have the physical abilities to become the next Jet Li, but he lacks the charisma. He also picks bad movies - although The Blade is one of my top 10 alltime favorite films and he's excellent in that - I'm sure he'll come into his own someday. He just needs a good vehicle. Neither of these were it. God... Fist Power was awful. Ugh.
Old 09-16-01, 11:30 AM

That's what I thought Trigger, thanks for the reassurance.
Shaolin Soccer was holding up my first order, and JC-My Stunts was holding up the 2nd order I figure... that's okay for now, I've got Shiri and Nowhere to Hide but haven't had time to view them yet. I still need to finish watching Princess Mononoke (so far I like it).

I'll give DDDHouse a shot on my next order

cheers,
Gabe
Old 09-16-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - I can't stop... I added a few more DVDs to my current order and added a few orders at other sites. Here's the total of what I'm getting at DVDAsian, DDDHouse, and Sensasian:

Full Time Killer - VCD
The Legend Of Zu - VCD
Once Upon A Time In China V - VCD
Thunderbolt - VCD
The Ring 2 - VCD
Once Upon A Time In China IV - DVD
Born Wild - DVD
Memento Mori - DVD
Shaolin Soccer - DVD
Para Para Sakura - DVD
Ultimatum - DVD
Master Q 2001 - DVD
Top Bet, The - DVD
Armageddon - DVD
Bakery Amour - DVD
Ashes of time - DVD
Big Bullet - DVD
Comrades-Almost a love story - DVD
Downtown Torpedoes - DVD
Extreme crisis ‚a - DVD
F***/Off - DVD
For Badboys Only - DVD
Future Cop - DVD
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father - DVD
Hero Never Dies, A - DVD
Hit Team - DVD
Hot War - DVD
Legend of the Wolf - DVD
Lifeline - DVD
Mission, The - DVD
Needing You - DVD
Skyline Crulsers - DVD
Young and Dangerous - DVD
Juvenile - DVD
Young and Dangerous V 98 - DVD
Bichunmoo - Region 3, 2 disc SE DVD
Chivalrous Legend - DVD
Fighting To Learn - DVD
All Man Are Brothers-Blood of The Leopard - DVD
Anna Magdalena - DVD
Flying Dagger - DVD
And I Hate You So... - DVD
Lavender - DVD
Lost And Found - DVD
Jiang Hu-The Triad Zone - DVD
Option Zero - DVD
Full Alert - DVD
First Option (MegaStar Version) - DVD
Sakuya-Slayer Of Demons - DVD

And as soon as DDDHouse announces Legend of Zu (provided I like the VCD), Legend of the Fist Master and Fulltime Killer on DVD - I'll order again. Ahhh!
Old 09-16-01, 08:17 PM

Dude! Trigger! 50?!?! How long will it take you to watch all these?

Any idea where I can pick up 'Who Am I?' R2 version (Japan)?
I'm interested in it for the additional footage cut from the R1 release

cheers,
Gabe

Last edited by gabegarwick; 09-16-01 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-16-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gust watched Hit Team (7/10). I want to trade it. Please see my trade list in the exchange forum.
Old 09-16-01, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thunderbolt - Don't expect much and it'll be fine. Two great fights, one decent shootout, one OK chase and IMHO the most bad-ass shot of Jackie ever, but everything else is awful and this is a long movie. Endless racing scenes.

Big Bullet - Good action thriller with funny characters. One of the best Hollywood-esque HK movies. Lau Ching Wan is the man! I love the elevator confrontation!

Double Tap - Intense thriller. I liked it but it's too heavy for repeat viewings.

Downtown Torpedoes - Garbage. It won an award for action choreography, but the director doesn't know how to shoot and edit together an action scene. There's no flow or excitement to it. Best adjective I can use is "limp". Which can also be applied to...

Extreme crisis ‚a - So much potential here. Lots of good setups for action scenes, but Bruce Law absolutely does not know how to film them. You just want for them to succeed so badly, because it could have easily been a wild movie. But nope. Extreme Crisis is the best (worst?) example of Hong Kong's current inability to put together a well-paced action scene. Take all these resources and give it to ANY HK director circa 1992 and you'd have a wicked action movie. Or give it Gordon Chan right now and he'd have put out something to rival Hollywood films. BTW, it rips scenes shamelessly from The Rock. The music is a bad copy of The Rock as well.

For Badboys Only - This is not a Matrix clone. It's sleuth buddy comedy (initially like Lupin or Castle of Cagliostro anime)with moments of heavy drama, sci-fi, and drama. Pretty bad. There isn't much action and what's there is merely OK.

Hero Never Dies, A - Good. The action scenes and mood of these films aren't much like John Woo, but it's a very good film nonetheless. Worth watching.

Hit Team - Pretty good action though it has a bit of Extreme-Crisis-itis - They stage good action scenes, but don't film it as well as they could. Still, it does better than EC. Great sound on the DVD.

Hot War - BORING. Again, mid-late 90s sloppy HK action scenes. Story is boring nonsense as well.

Skyline Crulsers - Sloppy action syndrome once again! The movie flows better than Hot War and Downtown Torpedoes, though. And it has very stylish shots. However, I'm hopelessly smitten with Michelle Saram and I want to marry her, so any positive comments I make about this film are suspect.

Young and Dangerous - I liked it a lot. Not an action film, but it kept my interest throughout. Triad drama and backstabbing.

Young and Dangerous V 98 - Should've bought Y&D 3 instead - That one has the best bad guys and coolest fashions. hehe.

Option Zero - Same director as Hit Team. Slow moving character drama with big action scenes. Like HT, the action is staged quite well, but not filmed as exciting as it should be. But still not bad.

Full Alert - Good but a major downer like many of Ringo Lam's films.

First Option (MegaStar Version) - Awesome action but YMMV depending on if you're a SWAT/Gun nut.
Old 09-22-01, 04:52 PM

Just watched Nowhere to Hide

-Korean film 'Nowhere to Hide'
I thought it was pretty good, say 7/10 overall. The picture quality was great. The director did a lot of shots for effect. (snowy scene on a playground, nice sequence in the rain with brightly colored falling leaves etc.) Basically the story of a police officer trying to track down a murder suspect. Parts of it seemed to move very slowly, but looking back it only added more depth to the story and characters.

cheers,
Gabe
Old 09-23-01, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trigger

Dude.. Trigger. you will regret that OUATIC 5 VCD.. Oh yes you will.

Imagine normal VCD quality (ick) with burned in subs (duh.. of course it is)... then imagine (added Malay subs that are totally out of sync with the burned in subs and audio).. then imagine those subs in a really ugly font taking up the bottom 2/5 of the screen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.