Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

mini - [Reviews] - Love on a Diet & Fighting For Love

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-06-01, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Fighting For Love is very cute. It stars Tony Leung and Sammi Cheng (who also stars in Love on a Diet) as two people who meet by accident and end up falling for each other. Tony Leung's character has a girlfriend who is a spokeswoman for all sorts of products and he seems to be her assistant more than her boyfriend. He runs a restaurant as well. Sammi is a savvy business woman who doesn't take any guff. Anyway - I don't want to give anything away - it's just a simple love story. The acting is pretty good - Tony is ok, but Sammi is fantastic. She's so quirky... if you like that sort of thing. It's just a cute fluff romantic comedy movie... not very dramatic, some funny moments and it leaves you feeling good.

The Universe DVD is a pretty clean transfer and good sound and includes a making of and a music video. It's 2001 film and the production values are pretty decent. These two are also two of the hottest stars right now in that genre - and I don't think they've ever been in a movie together before this. I give it a thumbs up and I'd say 7-8/10.

Love on a Diet is okay... Saw it on VCD. First off - the VCD is the best I've seen yet. Very nice quality. Crisp clear picture (the Shaolin Soccer VCD was crappy in comparison) and decent sound. The movie itself wasn't all that great, but it had its moments.

Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng in fat suits. Not really groundbreaking make-up effects or anything. You could tell they were wearing makeup and rubber suits - it was pretty good I suppose, but this has certainly been done better elsewhere. I guess the moral of the story is that fat people can't be happy - only skinny people can be truly happy and in love. Aside from the anti-fat campaign this movie seems to run with, it's a fairly decent story. I live in the US and over here we make special allowances for the disadvantaged, crippled, impaired or otherwise imperfect. I guess in HK (seems to me to be this way I think), they treat cripples like dirt and look upon fat people like they are a blight on society. Interesting cultural differences.

Anyway - Andy's fat and Sammi is fat. Sammi used to be skinny and was the girlfriend of a pianist who became famous and went off to tour. She missed him and began to eat too much to fill the void of lonliness until she became a 300 pounder. She meets Andy in Japan and latches on to him and he goes on a mission to make her skinny again so she can be with her boyfriend who doesn't know she's gotten fat. The interactions between the two are funny at times and at other times excruciating.

I was particularly annoyed that Sammi's hair grew 8 inches in less than a month, but what cha gonna do?

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10 The DVD has a Making Of and is only a few bucks more than the VCD, but the VCD is certainly good quality.
Old 09-06-01, 11:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off-topic "welcome back" post

As I'm relatively new to this version of the International Forum I thought I'd just add my own "welcome back" to this thread.

Nice review.

Last edited by benedict; 09-06-01 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-07-01, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well thanks - and congrats on being a mod.