Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HK Miyazaki collection, anyone?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

miyazaki collection:

- ebay dead link removed (search for miyazaki) -

saw this on ebay. anyone have this? is it a bootleg? the only thing i don't like is that it is 4:3 ratio but if the video is acceptable, the price may be right. $50 +$20shipping - about$7 per movie. of course, i'm not familiar w/ some of the movies.

the alternative is to buy the japanese boxed versions as they come out but that's getting expensive.

Last edited by young; 09-04-01 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-04-01, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These are bootlegs. I don't care what the ebay seller says-these are not authorized editions. They are bootlegs.

All the Miyazaki movies are slowly being released in R2 at around $45 per 2 disc sets.
Old 09-04-01, 01:49 AM

They are indeed bootlegs.

They are also of exceptionally good quality image and audiowise (although the subtitles can leave a bit to be desired) and they are actually letterboxed, not 4:3.

regards, Tim...
Old 09-04-01, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by hardtack
They are indeed bootlegs.

They are also of exceptionally good quality image and audiowise (although the subtitles can leave a bit to be desired) and they are actually letterboxed, not 4:3.

regards, Tim...
well, that's what i suspected. it looks like there are two versions of these bootlegs (different cases). also, hardtack, do you actually own these and that's how you know that they are letterboxed? of the two that actually listed ratio info, both said that they were 4:3. if they are indeed letterboxed, i would be very interested.
Old 09-04-01, 09:51 AM

I posted a similar request a few weeks ago, but no one really mentioned the meat and potatoes of the set.

I ordered it regardless.
No question this box set is a knock off, but the quality of most of the titles is very good, if not excellent.
But again still some people claim this set is licensed. No way dudes, the contact email address on the back of the package is a "yahoo" account so this sucker is wooden leg, and Eye patch all the way.
Studio is called Anime Cartoon LTD? Hell of an original name guys.

Main menus are really cheesy set to shabby keyboard music.
There are only about 4 -5 chapters per film.
Discs should be the gold color of dual layer but are silver!(No surprise)
DVDs are screened and the graphics are split to show each titles perspective art.
Like the X-Files sets etc, art also appears underneath the holding tray.
Sleeves have a really nice textured packaging. Mine came with no shrink-wrap just
Removable, clear plastic protection found on items like the Toy Story Set.

The specs on the back of the boxes are a hoot.
4:3 logo, Letterboxed, Stereo, and then get this NO COPYING appears as well.
I guess that warning is only meant to apply to some.
Macrovision is you already may have guessed is gonzo.

The subtitles (removable) sometimes start a second or two after the actual dialogue.
They also are a little broken translation wise. I have the Ghibi Japanese Kiki DVD and it has features different subs.

The producers of this edition (for lack of a better word) actually had the balls to water mark the prints!
A little red "A" will appear in the top left hand corner of the screen every 20 minutes or so.

You can argue the validity of why someone would want these sets, and your hurting the cause instead of helping blah blah blah, but $60 for 11 flicks is a total stealing, I mean steal

As we all have heard Disney owns the domestic rights and is going to just keep these films under lock and key. I say F the mouse and get yourself set up any way you can.
Old 09-04-01, 11:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Despite piracy being involved....

.... I'm leaving this open for the time being as the eBay link points to a closed auction and the ensuing discussion provides information that may prevent members from purchasing something that they might have preferred to have avoided.

Should things take a turn for the worse, and I'm not expecting that they will, I will have to reconsider.

Thanks to all for keeping things sensible thus far.
Old 09-04-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by vagrantvideo
. . . this sucker is wooden leg, and Eye patch all the way . . .

Anyway, thanks for the information. I was curious about these sets as well. Since I'm now region free, I plan on picking up the Region 2 discs as they become available.
Old 09-04-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Just to note... the subtitles on Kiki's Delivery Service R2 are from the dub (Dubtitles) much like Disney's US Release of Kiki on VHS. Which is one explaination why they are infact so different from the bootlegs, fansubs, and other such releases. But it doesn't look like that will ever legitametly change - at least - not for a few years... Thanks Disney.

-Rich
Old 09-04-01, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by young

...also, hardtack, do you actually own these and that's how you know that they are letterboxed? of the two that actually listed ratio info, both said that they were 4:3. if they are indeed letterboxed, i would be very interested.
Yes, as these were available as individual discs (each containing two films), and as I already own authorised copies of Mononoke Hime (Disney), Lupin 3, and Kiki's Delivery Service (both Studio Ghibli - region 2), I decided to get Nausica, Valley of the Winds/Only Yesterday, Laputa/Porco Rosso, and My Neighbour Totoro/Pom Poko. The three that I have looked at so far (Laputa, Porco Rosso, and Nausicca) are all Letterboxed - the subs on Porco Rosso are pretty strange to say the least. I also decided to get the 3 DVD Future Boy Conan set which is the entire TV series in 4:3 format.

These are all bare bones and I am treating them as a filler until I can get the official Studio Ghibli releases - I am already salivating over the extra material being released for Mononoke Hime by Studio Ghibli in Japan. Of course, I don't expect to see Future Boy Conan released anytime soon, so that is more of a long term investment.

Now if only someone would release the entire Astro Boy (Tetsuo Atomu) series on DVD with English subtitles, I would be a very happy camper - they are becoming available in Japan but with no subtitles unfortunately (I am slowly piecing together all of my childhood memories... Stingray Collection, Thunderbirds Colection, Captain Scarlett Colection).

regards, Tim...
Old 09-04-01, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks like Future Boy Conan is coming out on DVD this month and next month in Japan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html...n&restrict=DVD

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they will contain English subtitles.
Old 09-04-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hardtack
These are all bare bones and I am treating them as a filler until I can get the official Studio Ghibli releases - I am already salivating over the extra material being released for Mononoke Hime by Studio Ghibli in Japan.
I can't wait! Two 3-disc sets, one with the international cut (ie. dub) and the original cut, and an extras disc. The other set containing over 6 hours of documentary materials! Who-wah!!

Of course, I don't expect to see Future Boy Conan released anytime soon, so that is more of a long term investment.
Well, there is the Future Boy Conan DVD R2 box set (released last year, or maybe my info is wrong?) - but it tallies in at around $350. Expensive, and no english subs.

Now if only someone would release the entire Astro Boy (Tetsuo Atomu) series on DVD with English subtitles, I would be a very happy camper - they are becoming available in Japan but with no subtitles unfortunately
Not to nitpick, but it's actually Tetsuwan Atom There are two box sets available right now and, as you said, it's unfortunate that there is no subs. Sigh! At least there is hope for the beautiful new box set coming out for Metropolis, which is based on Osamu Tezuka's story. For those that don't know (and care!), it's a 2-disc ltd. edition Memorial Box set that includes a 500 (!) page sketch book and an additional 120 page book (making of? story boards?) to boot! I'm salivating for this one! No word of subs yet, but even if there isn't a sub track there's always DVDSubber to the rescue!

Cheers!

-matt

Last edited by raithen; 09-04-01 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-25-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i broke down and bought the set and i have received it. here are my impressions and i apologize if i am repeating already stated info:

- there are three versions that i know of - 12 movies on 4 dvds, 12 movies on 6 dvds in picture cases and the same set in silverish cases.
- if it is a bootleg, it is very good. and it does state that it is licensed although i doubt that it is.
- the letter A appears every once in a while in the upper left corner but it is in the black bar so it isn't too annoying
- stereo
- some menus are in english, others in japanese (kanji used so if you know chinese...) i sort of guessed when necessary.
-subtitles (or dubtitles as in Kiki's case) sometimes have errors but not too bad. more egregious, sometimes they flash too fast! i guess, i'll just have to learn japanese

overall, i think they are worth it. but i already have Disney's Princess Mononononoke and like Hardtack, i am still going to get R2 japanese editions of at least Kiki's Delivery Service & My Neighbor Totoro (its for my daughter, i swear! )

young
Old 09-25-01, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the name of the one with all the racoons? Is that in the set?
Old 09-25-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes, the racoons are there. i think its called Pom Poko. i started to watch some of it and it was kind of funny (in a satirical manner). www.nausicaa.net has more info.

these are the titles:
1. Nausicaa (1984)
2. Laputa: The Castle in the Sky (1986)
3. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
4. My NeighborTotoro (1988)
5. Kiki's Delivery (1989)
6. Only Yesterday (1991)
7. Porco Rosso (1992)
8. Ocean Waves: I Can Hear the Sea (1993)
9. Pom Poko (1994)
10. Whisper of the Heart (1995)
11. Princess Mononoke (1997)
12. CHAGE & ASKA MTV - On Your Mark
Old 09-26-01, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Posted by vagrantvideo
...As we all have heard Disney owns the domestic rights and is going to just keep these films under lock and key. I say F the mouse and get yourself set up any way you can.
I love the mouse...the mouse is good
Old 09-26-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, thanks for the info. I've always wanted to see that racoon one. The pictures crack me up.
Old 09-29-01, 06:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

As already noted elsewhere ad nauseam, there are "issues" when it comes to discussing specific bootlegs/pirated products on this site.

Bearing this in mind, I've now split off the (arguably) philosophical aspect of the discussion to its own thread:
Can purchasing pirated DVD/VCDs ever be condoned/justified?

Further to my earlier posting, I think sufficient information has now been imparted to allow members to make their own decisions as to the specific title(s) discussed above. Consequently this thread is now closed.

Last edited by benedict; 09-29-01 at 12:21 PM.