Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to Buy "Scent of the Green Papaya & Cyclo" - Arte Edition

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-01-01, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for info on stores (preferably on-line stores) that currently have in-stock the "Scent of the Green Papaya & Cyclo" DVD issued by Arte (French?).
I'm also interested in knowing if there are other R2 DVD editions of "Scent of the Green Papaya" (beside the Japanese Pioneer edition) and where I might be able to buy them (in the event the Arte edition is out-of-print).

Thanks.
Old 09-01-01, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cinestore.com say they ship it withen 1 to 2 weeks. I don't know if that means it's on backorder or if it's unavailble. Here's another that says it's in demand. I have no idea what that means though. You could always try emailing them about it. http://www.dvdzone2.com/cgi-bin/en/O...ch&search=0943

Last edited by ScreachingWeasel; 09-01-01 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-01-01, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
cinestore.com say they ship it withen 1 to 2 weeks. I don't know if that means it's on backorder or if it's unavailble. Here's another that says it's in demand. I have no idea what that means though. You could always try emailing them about it. http://www.dvdzone2.com/cgi-bin/en/O...ch&search=0943
Thanks. I did check with cinestore and alapage and neither store is showing it as "in-stock & available for immediate shipping" which I consider ominous coming on-the-heel of being informed by amazon.fr that they had to cancel this item on my order because they are not able to procur it from their distributor. Just to be sure, I have an email inquiry in to cinestore and am waiting to hear back from them.

Last edited by cine; 09-01-01 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-01-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... just went to the alapage site and...

http://www.alapage.com/mx/?tp=F&type...a+papaye+verte

...the 2-disc set is supposedly available (2-6 days)...

(...of course, I got my copy of this set way back in 1999...)

. ? . . ! .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-01-01 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-01-01, 09:51 PM

I ordered this without a hitch from Amazon.fr around two weeks ago. Maybe I got the last copy they had? Lucky me!

It should be noted that the Region-0 NTSC edition of Cyclo from Hong Kong has an anamorphic transfer that's every bit as stunning as that of the French edition, though it lacks the commentary track from Tran. It's by far the best transfer I've seen on a disc from HK. In fact, I suspect either the French edition is the result of an NTSC to PAL conversion of the same transfer or vice versa, because they look identical. The English translations on each are also identical. Don't hesitate to get a copy of this still-available edition should the French disc prove elusive.