International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

OK... what now?

Old 08-30-01, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK... what now?

I'm looking for new movie suggestions. W/ the exception of a couple of titles to finish off the collections I'm pretty much tapped out on JC, CYF, Jet, a LCW. Who's/what's next? I've recently seen Duel and Drunken Master 3 w/ Andy Lau (?) who looks kind of interesting, however isn't most of his stuff the high-flying fantasy type (which is a genre I still really can't get into). What I'm looking for is mostly "down to earth"/realistic kung-fu or "gun-fu"/police action movies. Although I usually prefer thriller/suspense over straight action. Although it's not complete take a look at the HK sections in my list (see the link in the sig) for the types of movies I have/like.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-30-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see these movies on your list which will fit the 'realistic' gun-type of movies (all are older movies):

Long Arm of the Law I, II
Law With Two Phases
Brotherhood
Law Enforcer
Gunmen
Coolie Killer

all of them are good to outstanding movies. Note that the DVD video for Coolie Killer is pretty bad.
Old 08-30-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One that I didn't see on your list, and which doesn't seem to get mentioned much anywhere, is Peace Hotel. This movie was a little over-stylized for some and seems to get mixed reviews, but I thought it was a masterpiece---great performances, cinematography, music, etc. That scene where Chow Yun Fat, in bathrobe and pajamas, slowly walks through the middle of the gang of outlaws as they warily draw their swords is one of my favorite moments in HK cinema.
Old 08-30-01, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't see this on your list - I recently rented "To Be Number One" with Ray Liu and Amy Yip. Kind of a HK Godfather saga, although a lot of story had to be squeezed into one movie, leaving some gaps. Triad films are not my favorites but this had an interesting and involving story. It won 1991 HK Best Picture & Best Actor awards. Ray Liu was a bit over the top, and so was Amy Yip.

I'd also recommend Robotrix and I Love Maria if you think you might enjoy sexy robot-fu.
Old 08-31-01, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions... some of them I've actually seen before others I have not and will look into.

Does anyone know anything about these (mostly non-action):

Eat Drink Man Woman
Pushing Hands
Dinner w/ Andre
Final Option (?)