Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen the Escaflowne Movie DVD that's floating around?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone had picked up the Escaflowne: A girl in gaea DVD that is floating around on Ebay and a few HK sites...I just picked it up, but it won't be here for like a week or so from Hong Kong, and I'm wayyyy too antsy! I NEED INFO! LOL...
Old 07-21-01, 04:34 PM

Re: Anyone seen the Escaflowne Movie DVD that's floating around?

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I was just wondering if anyone had picked up the Escaflowne: A girl in gaea DVD that is floating around on Ebay and a few HK sites...I just picked it up, but it won't be here for like a week or so from Hong Kong, and I'm wayyyy too antsy! I NEED INFO! LOL...
Checked it out in what sense? If you are referring to the dvd with english subtitles, it is a bootleg taken from the Japanese dvd (there is however a legitimate HK VCD, though lacking english subtitles). I watched the DTS LE Japanese disc when it was released and was pleased with movie. It's very much a seperate entity from the tv series. The characters are all present, but it has been given a completely new original spin. In other words, the world the movie takes place in is the same, but the story is completely different, with the plot and characters being quite different. If I recall correct, the movie was actually written before the tv series (something regarding this is mentioned in the booklet that comes with the Limited Edition release). The animation quality was as good, if not exceeding the tv series and the disc sounded great in DTS. The movie is also set for a limited theatrical release, and has started playing at some film fests. It's not groundbreaking, but if you are a fan of the tv series I'm sure you'll enjoy it as long as you realize it is disconnected from the tv series.
Old 07-21-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

YEah, I ordered the bootleg with english subs. I am learning japanese, but not enough to watch a whole movie...

I've read all I can in the past year about the story, and I think it ought to be quite an interesting spin compared to the TV series, which I worship...

So it looked and sounded great, huh? Good, I hope the bootleg is at least half as good...now the accuracy of the subtitles is the one thing I will be waiting for the Official release next year on US soil for...but this will have to tide me over until then.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!