Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackie Chan & Jet Li to be paired up

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-19-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...lm-dish_4.html

In case you can't get to the link:

Thursday July 19 1:04 AM ET

Chopsocky kings Chan & Li will join forces

By Michael Fleming

NEW YORK (Variety) - Revolution Studios has made deals that will pair international action stars Jet Li and Jackie Chan in an action film for the first time. The duo, long the reigning Hong Kong action kings before becoming staples of Hollywood films, will begin work together in fall 2002.

Both stars are heavily involved in the construction of the untitled action vehicle, with a script now being written by Robert Mark Kamen, co-scripter (with Luc Besson) of ``Kiss of the Dragon'' and ``The Fifth Element'' Li and Chan will also serve as executive producers.

Li, currently onscreen in ``Kiss of the Dragon,'' returns to theaters this fall with ``The One,'' a James Wong-directed big-budget drama in which he will play dual hero/villain roles. He is spending the summer heading an all-star cast of Asian actors in ``Hero,'' a Chinese-language period epic written and directed by Zhang Yimou (``Raise the Red Lantern''). He then moves on to star in an untitled action comedy for Miramax in which he plays a Tibetan monk who wins a trip to Gotham, a project also scripted by Kamen. After that, Li will do the Revolution film.

Chan, meanwhile, is about to open alongside Chris Tucker in ``Rush Hour 2'' and has ``The Accidental Spy'' in the can. He's expected to star next in the DreamWorks comedy ``The Tuxedo,'' with the sequel to ``Shanghai Noon,'' called ``Shanghai Knights,'' also in the offing.

Last edited by Yellow Hammer; 07-19-01 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-19-01, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I thought I'd never see the day when they'd work together, after the "High Risk" fallout.

Also interesting that the article mentions a Shanghai Noon sequel!
Old 07-19-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by p1forest
Also interesting that the article mentions a Shanghai Noon sequel!
Not to hijack the thread, but:

From Dark Horizons:
"The story is basically set several years after the original and Jackie is still in the old west. Roy has moved back to New York and something happens to Jackie's father in China and his sister chases the killer to England. So, Jackie gets a letter, teams up with Roy and then they go off to Victorian London and there's a big international plot. It's basically two fish out of water. Roy is sort of the ugly American and Jackie is Jackie, a fish out of water, so it's kung fu in Victorian England". He also confirms there's signature Jackie action scenes in wax museums, a London market and the Tower of London

I haven't gotten around to seeing KotD yet, but from what I hear the script & story aren't exactly great. Hopefully the Revolution film will be.
Old 07-19-01, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

i'll believe it when i see it.
Old 07-19-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like they'll be keeping busy.

Originally posted by p1forest
Wow, I thought I'd never see the day when they'd work together, after the "High Risk" fallout.
It's been a while since I've seen this movie... But I think it was Jacky Cheung who starred along side Jet Li in High Risk. Not Jackie Chan.
Old 07-19-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by khieng
Looks like they'll be keeping busy.

It's been a while since I've seen this movie... But I think it was Jacky Cheung who starred along side Jet Li in High Risk. Not Jackie Chan.
What p1forest is probably referring to is the fact that in the movie they satirized Jackie a great deal, which I'm sure didn't give Jackie a great deal of pleasure.
Old 07-19-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
They announced today on Televison on Entertainment Tonight, Jackie Chan and Jet Li together for 2002.

I made a thread also at movie forum.
Old 07-19-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
What p1forest is probably referring to is the fact that in the movie they satirized Jackie a great deal, which I'm sure didn't give Jackie a great deal of pleasure.
Hmm... ok that makes sense now. I never noticed that when I last saw that movie. I only noticed that it seemed to tease Bruce Lee a bit in the beginning.
Old 07-21-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, this is what I was referring to. Sorry, I thought it was more well-known, but I guess not. Jacky Cheung's character satirizes both Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, perhaps among others.

Like Chan, Cheung's character claims he does all his own stunts, but sometimes he doesn't (but apparently JC didn't like the implication). Also, the character was a drinker/womanizer. JC has had some issues in this area that have not very publicized, from a little that I heard from my gf. I've heard rumors of JC having affairs, and apparently at least once got a girl pregnant, even though he's married.
Old 07-30-01, 11:54 AM

Yup, it's true. JC did have an affair and the woman did become pregnant and JC is the father. Apparently, this has affected his popularity and the general populace's love for him. For the first time in years, JC was not voted the #1 star by the people...

Tried doing a search on this but came up with nothing... I read this in the Jet Li forum: Jennifer Love Hewitt is currently in negotiations to star alongside JC in Tuxedo. Did anyone else hear about this? Just curious...
Old 07-30-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sexymama
Yup, it's true. JC did have an affair and the woman did become pregnant and JC is the father. Apparently, this has affected his popularity and the general populace's love for him. For the first time in years, JC was not voted the #1 star by the people...

Tried doing a search on this but came up with nothing... I read this in the Jet Li forum: Jennifer Love Hewitt is currently in negotiations to star alongside JC in Tuxedo. Did anyone else hear about this? Just curious...
Yes I read that somewhere too. But I don't know about the JC fathering deal. Are there any reputable resources?

I can't wait to see JC and JL in action. Will it be more JC comedy style or JL bad *ss style. I just wanna see seom good fighting with no fake movie tricks.
Old 07-30-01, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The pregnant woman came out in the HK press about it. Who knows if it's true? But he does have a rep for dicking around and drinking a lot. However, in HK society, I don't think it's considered that bad for an older man to play around, as long he still takes care of his family. Lack of the whole puritanical background and all that.
Old 07-31-01, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by dvd-fisherman

Yes I read that somewhere too. But I don't know about the JC fathering deal. Are there any reputable resources?

I can't wait to see JC and JL in action. Will it be more JC comedy style or JL bad *ss style. I just wanna see seom good fighting with no fake movie tricks.
Took me a while to find the articles I had read and I don't know if you'd consider them "reputable" or not (probably not) but here they are for your enjoyment:

Re JC's affair:
http://mrshowbiz.go.com/newsarchive/...air111099.html

Re JC's fathering child and slight decrease in popularity:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/en...000/696856.stm

I thought there were more articles re JC's affair on Jet Li's website forum but couldn't locate them again; also I couldn't find the other articles I read -- I must have been doing a search for something else when I came upon them... Sorry
Old 07-31-01, 06:23 AM

well..

Not to go completely off-topic, but...

If memory serves I think the whole thing was called the "Dragonseed" scandal.

Also, I could be wrong, but I thought there was supposed to have been a DNA test or some such thing done to prove JC was the father. I was under the impression it came back negative, but I could be wrong.

Has anybody heard anything else about this supposed pairing up of Jackie and Jet? Plot details, etc..? I wonder what kind of plot would work well for both people?
Old 07-31-01, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Jackie Chan & Jet Li to be paired up

co-scripter (with Luc Besson)
How can you go wrong??? This will be one SWEET movie....
Old 08-01-01, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn...! This is like a real life "Marvel Team Up"!
Hopefully there will be minimal (read non-existant) wire-work for this pairing.
Old 08-01-01, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Though it is morally wrong that he cheated on his wife, should it concern me? Nope. Should it bother me when I watch his cool flicks? Nope. Do I think of Jackie Chan when he's fighting on my screen that he did a 1.5 second karate quickie? Nope. What about drunk doggystyle? Nope. Did Mike Tyson took a chunk out of Holyfield's ear? Yep.