DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Fans that liked "The Mask" did you know that the Region 2 is anamorphic with DTS? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/126829-fans-liked-mask-did-you-know-region-2-anamorphic-dts.html)

Sonic 07-19-01 02:34 AM

Fans that liked "The Mask" did you know that the Region 2 is anamorphic with DTS?

I had no idea! It's 1:85.1 anamorphic with DTS sound! Damn New Line Cinema..what is up baby?!? :eek: Hook up us Region 1 owners man!!!

Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

-You best friend in the whole world...Pestilence.

XOXOX

Alan UK 07-19-01 04:33 AM

Hmmm, I am in region 2 land...The Mask is indeed anamorphic but the picture is very soft looking. I don't know where you got your info, but there is no DTS sound track, unless there has been a new release of the movie.
Alan

Malcolm Burns 07-19-01 06:23 AM

Its not a UK R2 version hes talking about, I remeber reading an article about a Dutch or German version with DTS. And in another mag I did find a piece about the German SLEEPY HOLLOW R2 with DTS. The UK version came with only a DD.

Hendrik 07-19-01 06:35 AM

Pestilence:

...first of all, there is no such thing as "...the Region 2..."

...there are:
...Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC
...and Region 2 Europe and Near East and South Africa
and Australia & New Zealand and a few other places,
all of which are PAL...

...I might add that, within 'Europe', more often than not there are different editions of movies: the French ones differ from the Italian ones, which are different from the Spanish ones, which are not the same as the German ones, which in turn differ from the UK ones ... and leave us not forget the Benelux ones and nor the Scandinavian ones...

...can you say 'redundancy'?

...now, for all I know, the Japanese R2 DVD of The Mask may well feature
a dts soundtrack (I couldn't be bothered to look)...

...but I know for a fact that the French R2 DVD features
a DD 5.1 English and a DD 5.1 French soundtrack...

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=931

...however, the German SE, released last November, does indeed feature
a dts ES(!) soundtrack, but it's the German dub only...
the English soundtrack on that disc is DD 5.1...

http://www.dvdmann.de/cgi-bin/item.c...4300&DVD&11667

...and there you are...

. . . :o . . .

BizRodian 07-19-01 07:07 AM

Verpackung - Super-Jewel-Case
Damn! I want a SUPER JEWEL CASE BABY!

Hendrik 07-19-01 07:17 AM

BizRodian: be careful what you wish for!... :D

...actually, the 'Super Jewel Case' has the same general measurements as any other DVD case (Amaray, Alpha, etc.) but it's thinner and considerably heavier and it's made of a hard, brittle plastic that just loves to get crushed on its way from wherever I order from it to my home... fortunately, these cases are not used very often - and I hope that, eventually, they'll disappear altogether...

. . .

BizRodian 07-19-01 07:30 AM

but but but... SUPER jewel case... it's SUPER baby!

Really though, I hate regular jewel cases.. look at them and they'll break. Is this just a bigger version? haha, that must suck :)

Hendrik 07-19-01 07:39 AM

Yup and Yup!

. . . :D . . .

chocovla 07-19-01 10:40 AM

Well

Yesterday a Dutch version of The mask was released with an anamorfic transfer AND a DTS mix.

Hendrik 07-19-01 11:58 AM

chocovla (ik ben meer voor vanille...):

Goed zo ! Goed zo !! Goed zo zo !!!

Sonic 07-19-01 12:34 PM

dvdzone2.com

:D

Sonic 07-19-01 01:00 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
but but but... SUPER jewel case... it's SUPER baby!

Really though, I hate regular jewel cases.. look at them and they'll break. Is this just a bigger version? haha, that must suck :)

WHAT A HORRIBLE CASE!! :eek: :lol:

They should use the Jewel Case that Enigma: Remeber The Future came in! It's slimmer, and blows out amarays, alphas out of the water! :thumbsup:

codefree 07-19-01 02:44 PM

Pestilence

I've noticed a few threads from you lately regarding non-region 1 releases. I just made the change to regionfree capabilities this past spring, perhaps it's time you do the same. ;) There are a lot of good R2 and R4 DVDs out there that will make the upgrade well worthwhile. :) And if you're looking for 16X9 DTS titles where the R1 versions are not, you should love the Japanese R2 releases. They've got Lake Placid, Hard Rain, Stargate, Cliffhanger, Universal Soldier, and several more in 16X9 DTS! Also the Japanese discs are NTSC like in R1 so they'll look beautiful on your NTSC TV!

Check out this Worldwide DTS webpage: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bwescombe/dts_dvd.htm

codefree 07-19-01 02:49 PM

Re: Well

Originally posted by chocovla
Yesterday a Dutch version of The mask was released with an anamorfic transfer AND a DTS mix.
Does it include the two deleted scenes from the R1 release?

Sonic 07-19-01 03:56 PM

Originally posted by codefree
Pestilence

I've noticed a few threads from you lately regarding non-region 1 releases. I just made the change to regionfree capabilities this past spring, perhaps it's time you do the same. ;) There are a lot of good R2 and R4 DVDs out there that will make the upgrade well worthwhile. :) And if you're looking for 16X9 DTS titles where the R1 versions are not, you should love the Japanese R2 releases. They've got Lake Placid, Hard Rain, Stargate, Cliffhanger, Universal Soldier, and several more in 16X9 DTS! Also the Japanese discs are NTSC like in R1 so they'll look beautiful on your NTSC TV!

Check out this Worldwide DTS webpage: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bwescombe/dts_dvd.htm

What about audio? Is it English? Not only that, I love Sony Dvdplayers. :(

Damn, I loved Universal Soldier. :( DTS and anamorphic, wow.

codefree 07-19-01 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Pestilence

What about audio? Is it English?

Yes of course, all of the Japanese DVDs of American movies have English soundtracks. Those particular titles I mentioned have English DTS but only Japanese DD5.1. ;)

hardtack 07-19-01 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik
Pestilence:

...first of all, there is no such thing as "...the Region 2..."

...there are:
...Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC
...and Region 2 Europe and Near East and South Africa
and Australia & New Zealand and a few other places,
all of which are PAL...

While we are in correcting mode, Australia and New Zealand are actually Region 4 -smile-

Hendrik 07-19-01 05:45 PM

...color my face RED...

http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html

ineluki 07-20-01 06:38 AM

Originally posted by hardtack
While we are in correcting mode, Australia and New Zealand are actually Region 4 -smile-
In defense of Hendrik:
There are some titles that are RC2 AND 4.

codefree 07-23-01 08:24 PM

^^

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to place an order for this DVD but does it include the two deleted scenes from the R1 release?

chocovla 07-24-01 09:03 AM

Nope the disc contains the following :

Extra:
* Bio's
* Filmographies
* Director Commentary
* Interviews
* The Making Of
* Trailer

and of course the dts track.

codefree 07-24-01 12:26 PM

Nope the disc contains the following :

Extra:
* Bio's
* Filmographies
* Director Commentary
* Interviews
* The Making Of
* Trailer

and of course the dts track.

Darn, thanks for the info though. :)

codefree 07-24-01 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Pestilence
dvdzone2.com

:D

I just emailed DVDZone2 yesterday to verify that The Mask was 16X9 with an English soundtrack. Unfortunately, while it has the Eng. DTS track, it is not even in widescreen! No way I'm buying this pan and scan turd! :yack:

chocovla 07-24-01 01:19 PM

Tell you what I'll go out and buy it tommorow to see if it's pan&scam or anamorfic.

Sonic 07-24-01 04:47 PM

Originally posted by codefree

I just emailed DVDZone2 yesterday to verify that The Mask was 16X9 with an English soundtrack. Unfortunately, while it has the Eng. DTS track, it is not even in widescreen! No way I'm buying this pan and scan turd! :yack:

:eek: <--------LOOK!

:yack: