Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's With The Pauses And Pixelations

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-13-01, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched Fighter's Blue, Ashes of Time on my Toshiba 2200 last nite and towards the end of both movies the video started to skip, pause and the video came pixelated.. I never had any problems with any U.S DVD's.. Anyone else have problems playing Hong Kong DVD's?? Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-01, 06:26 PM

Pixelation and stuff like that

I have a Panasonic DVD RV-30 that's pretty bulletproof and it's been confounded by a couple of discs, but domestic copies as far as I can remember. I rented a copy of ID4 and that caused some grief but other copies of the same movie have played just fine.

I hate to see someone condemn HK DVDs based on one event. On the whole, I can't think of any that've made my DVD player go, "Oy!"
Joel
Old 07-15-01, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Mei Ah does things on the cheap - I've bought a few that have a surface that looks like hell. They're only 5 bucks though so whatever. I've had one that stumbled my Toshiba 2109 and I took it out and rubbed toothpaste all over the surface and washed it off - it doesn't skip anymore but the surface looks worse.
Old 07-15-01, 09:57 AM

Tooth Paste

Thanks for the replies.. Tooth Paste?
Old 07-15-01, 12:25 PM

I recently encountered a pause/pixelation problem with Mei Ah's "Eighteen Springs" DVD on my Panasonic A310 (which thus far has not had any problem playing all my other domestic or HK-import DVDs). First the film's (static) opening title screen is showed with the bottom half-covered with a thick diagonal black stripe, and then the video plays fine until around the beginning of chapter 11 when it starts to intermittently skip and get pixelated and eventually freezes completely. The disc's surface however does not appear to have any visible defect. I tried this DVD on two other players: another Panasonic A310 which exhibits nearly identical problems, and a Sony 7700 which plays the disc without any noticeable problem. My conclusion is this DVD most likely has certain kind of problems that can be overcome by some players but not others.

Last edited by cine; 07-15-01 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-15-01, 03:06 PM

Toothpaste

Toothpaste is an abbrasive, and shouldn't be used to clean discs, despite the homegrown myth that seemingly recommends doing this despite the harm it visits upon the disc surface.
Old 07-15-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Pioneer DV343 plays all my HK discs without any problems. Other players(Samsung, Phillips, Sampo) had trouble with them. The 343 is the first player I have had which doesn't stumble on these discs. Even mainstream U.S. discs have less pixelation on the Pioneer than on the other players.
Old 07-15-01, 03:47 PM

toothpaste

Toothpaste is certainly an abrasive, but it can successfully be used to polish out smallscratches that cause playback problems.