Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Newbie Help! - Fist of Legend, OUATIC - which versions

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-10-01, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This newbie needs some advice. I've decided to dip my toe in the HK martial arts genre - and I'm going to start with Fist of Legend, Iron Monkey, and Once Upon a Time in China (I and/or II). I've been browsing www.pokerindustries.com, www.dddhouse.com, and amazon.com. There appear to be multiple versions of these films. I have a widescreen HT setup - so I'd prefer anamorphic widescreen versions. But info appears to be scarce - and there appears to be multiple distributors on these titles.

Can someone provide their recommendations on versions to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 07-10-01, 08:13 PM

different versions

Since it is back up (YEEHAH!!!), go here:
www.asiandvdguide.com

Just search for your titles and info should pop-up on all the different versions. Just look through the info and your questions should be asked.

Also, FYI regarding the Columbia/Tristar OUATIC, I have seen lots of reports that while these are listed as being anamorphic, they aren't really a 'true' anamorphic print. From the reports I've seen C/T took the original print and simply electronically 'upconverted' it to make it into a 'psuedo-anamorphic' print. The "Bonus English Dubbed" versions on each disc are supposed to be true anamorphic however.

If anybody that knows better would care to add/correct/expand upon anything in the above paragraph, feel free.
Old 07-10-01, 08:14 PM

If you can have a regionfree player, I strongly recommend the Region 2 HKL version of Once Upon A Time In China. Their DVDs are all restored, remastered, and anamorphic widescreen. This particular title also has an English Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.
Old 07-12-01, 03:52 AM

For Fist of Legend, get the VCD from DDDHouse.com for the same cost as a DVD rental.

Then set your player to use the left channel audio (VCD settings).

This gets you the original audio, which is a little more important in this film than in most others, because some characters are Japanese and some Chinese, and so it mushes everything if they are both dubbed to English...