Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Interesting Note from Poker RE: Fist of Legend Ritek Disc

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-09-01, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Poker's website:

Buyer beware: We have received inquiries in regards to very limited quantities of the original Fist Of Legend (Ritek) DVD supposedly resurfacing. We will not be carrying these, as they are unauthorized. Anyone offering them as legitimate is either unaware or simply looking the other way in order to make a quick buck exploiting the bootleg market at collector prices. This title has been long out of print, and it was only a matter of time until a basement pressing would appear, just as with the all region copies of Time And Tide, Whiteout and the Shiri single disc that are currently making the rounds.
I wouldn't be surpised by this at all myself either. I had someone in Taipei try to find the Ritek disc for me about a year ago while they were over there teaching ESL, with no luck. This one has long been unavailable, and hasn't been picked up by Thunder Media to reissue as part of their agreement with Ritek. I've seen the mysteriously resurfacing Fist of Legend dvd on a few other websites (apart from hkflix.com) as well, inlcuding one that has openly sold bootlegs in the past (not that it prooves anything..but caveat emptor). Buyer beware on this one indeed. Thankfully I've still got a copy of the HK LD which looks great. Now if only the current licensing agreements would mysteriously be taken from the hands of Buena Vista et al....
Old 07-09-01, 10:50 PM
Cool New Member

HKFLIX is promoting the "Fist of Legend DVD (Ritek)" on their homepage. I thought these guys were legit. According to a previous posting in this Forum, HKFLIX is selling bootleg Anime as well. Anyone care to comment about this?
Old 07-09-01, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
PRE-ORDER FIST OF LEGEND (UNCUT) on DVD NOW!
HKFlix has secured a very limited number of these imported Ritek DVDs. These DVDs are EXTREMELY rare and have sold on eBay for as much as US$150 as recently as last month! They are uncut, have Mandarin-only audio, and contain a very nice widescreen picture. Please note that this title HAS NOT gone back into print and availability is limited! HKFlix fully guarantees this DVD to be an authentic, authorized and legitimate FIST OF LEGEND (UNCUT) DVD from Ritek Corporation in Taiwan. Very few--if any--of our competitors will be getting this title in. Estimated ship date for this DVD is on July 16, so RESERVE YOUR COPY TODAY!
Sounds legit to me... some were located in Taiwan or something... anyway - if it's not authentic, at least you get the proper language track. If it's a bootleg, it's of something that is otherwise unavailable... only people getting hurt would be those who bought off ebay Disney. I know I know... bootlegs are bad (slapping back of my own hand).
Old 07-10-01, 01:47 AM
Suspended

Mandarin is not the original language track. Cantonese is.

HKFlix sold the all region Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon bootleg DVD so I'm not surprised that they would carry the Fist of Legend bootleg. DVD Talk ought to associate themselves with more legit retailers.
Old 07-10-01, 03:53 AM

Last note from grand master MULDOON long live the King of the asian dvd guide

FOL dvd from Taiwan available mid-June ? Thanks Muldoon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, Fist of Legend dvd from Taiwan may be available by mid-June, and this information originated from Muldoon. With all what’s going on with the closing down of the site, some of you may have not noticed some postings Muldoon made just before. In particular, he posted this on May 30 regarding FOL :

“Kenny at HK Movie ….. told me yesterday that he MIGHT be getting more of the "Fist of Legend" DVD in stock.”

I just can’t believe Muldoon still took the time to help out under the circumstances. I’m really extremely impressed and grateful for this. Re-reading his post, I notice that his “title” on the forum is Administrator and “Community Supporter”. This brings tears to my eyes. No kidding. I can’t think of anybody deserving this more. Thanks again, Muldoon, thanks a lot.

Anyway, I contacted Kenny, and he email me this :

“And about FIST OF LEGEND, if everything go right it may arrive mid-June and the price is TBC.
I have tried to follow up with Taiwan companies for months and luckily can get some. I discussed with them to see if I can make a BIG order from them.
Do you think this dvd will have good reaction at the time? They told me they can even re-produce if the quantities is big..... I am considering.”

You can send an email to [email protected] (Kenny) to help him knowing how many people are interested in a re-print.

By the way, the web site is www.hkmovie.com.hk/DVD/. For the moment, FOL is still mentioned as Out of Stock with a price of USD 100 (!!!!). Kenny is telling me that this was the price a year ago when it went out of stock, but that he will put a new (I hope much lower) price asap.
Old 07-10-01, 05:00 AM
Cool New Member

I find it awfully suspicious how this new member signed up today and immediately made two posts, one defending HKFLIX's sale of "Fist Of Legend", and the other accusing Pokerindustries of selling Bootlegs. I don't need to be a detective to figure out that you work for HKFLIX. You're trying to save HKFLIX's crumbling reputation and, at the same time, trying to make Pokerindustries out to be the bad guy. Shame on you!!!!!!
Old 07-10-01, 08:34 AM

REPLY FROM HKFLIX

Dear DVDTalk community: Normally, it is our policy not to involve ourselves in forum discussions that mention our competitors (whether in a good light or bad). However, we feel that this instance warrants an exception. First of all, please note that HKFlix has a "zero tolerance" policy against pirated goods. One previous poster mentioned some Anime that was offered on our site. These products were sourced from a reputable Malaysian dealer, complete with certification from the Malaysian film board and with certificates of authenticity. We were (and still are) new to Anime and we had no clue these were questionable items and we feel that we took all the necessary steps to protect our buyers. When we learned from Geoff that some members of the DVDTalk community were questioning the authenticity of these DVDs, we immediately ceased selling them on our site (they are now listed as OOP and are unavailable for purchase.

In regards to our FIST OF LEGEND DVD, this item was sourced directly from Ritek/Thundermedia. Unfortunately, Poker Industries decided to post their news item claiming this product is manufactured by some "basement" operation, not Ritek Corporation in Taiwan--without ever seeing a copy of the DVD. While this might be understandable if the DVD manufacturer was an unknown company, the fact of the matter is that the DVD was previously in-print by Ritek, and Poker Industries made no effort to verify its allegations. Because this matter concerns us greatly we have offered to loan Poker Industries a copy of this DVD so they can verify the authenticity themselves. As of today, we have not heard back from them.

We urge Poker Industries to explain its reasoning in posting its news item on its site, so you, the honorable readers of DVDTalk can decide for yourselves. In the meantime HKFlix will fully guarantee that this FIST OF LEGEND DVD was manufactured by Ritek, the same company that has previously manufactured and marketed this very same DVD. Should we ship you a copy of the FIST OF LEGEND that was not manufactured by Ritek Corporation in Taiwan, we would be happy to not only refund your money and shipping, but give you a $100 gift certificate in our store. We value your business and hope you'll continue to support us. If anyone has any further questions please email me at: [email protected]. If you mail me your phone number, I will be more than happy to give you a call and discuss any concerns you might have.

As for people signing up and posting messages defending HKFLIX, I can give you my word that NO ONE at HKFLIX did this. I will swear this on a Bible. Again, before making any accusations such as this, I sure wish people would contact me. My direct line is: 541-543-6396 my email is: [email protected]

What else can we do here? Gosh, forums are great for spreading information, but they are also great for spreading rumors, information that is damaging to a reputable company, and misinforming DVD fans.

Last edited by HKFLIXdotcom; 07-10-01 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-10-01, 10:29 AM

Has anyone seen this dvd ?? I only have the disney version, but would love to get the un-dubbed uncut original version. Anyone know the details ?? What is the transfer like ?? How about the sound ?? Is it 5.1 DD ?? any special features ?? I would love to get this disc but if its only a sub-par disc at the 39.99 price tag I'd have to pass. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-01, 11:53 AM

O.k I have the Fist of Legend Laser Disc. Is this the same as this DVD, uncut? It is I believe in MAN, and has subtitles for English and CAN. What was cut out of the Disney one?

Curious.
Old 07-10-01, 05:20 PM

Fist of Legend Ritek

I have the Fist of Legend Ritek DVD. It is widescreen with MANDARIN ONLY dub with burnt in white Chinese/English subtitles. All the Japanese people speak Mandarin as well in the movie. This is different in that the Cantonese version has the Japanese speaking Japanese and the Cantonese speaking Cantonese.

The ONLY reasons to get the Ritek version are:

(1) You speak and understand Mandarin.

(2) You like the original movie soundtrack (the Disney version has a different movie soundtrack).

The extra minutes come from a scene where Jet's older brother guy was smoking optium. A scene that was not important to the movie, but if you are a completist.

The picture quality is a lot worse than the Disney version with lots of scratches and dirt on the print. Again, unless the above 2 reasons are important to you, don't bother with this DVD.
Old 07-13-01, 03:01 AM

Another Update from Poker

Having had the chance to examine the discs HKflix will be offering, Michael at Poker has retracted his previous statements about this title being an illegitimate pressing. Everything on the discs matches right down to individual product id's from the pressing plant stamped on the dvds. This is great news to many of us as this disc has long thought to be unobtainable, even with some of us having gone to great lengths to obtain it (if anything this should teach us not to procrastinate!). I'm pleased that both parties were able to work out their differences and give us all some insight into the origins of the disc and sorting out any potential controversy. Given the surprise availability of the title, its understandable to see how each party acted as it did. Many may not realize it, but the Ritek disc has long been a holy grail for many collectors, a fabled release that few people had the luxury of importing or owning due to its early exit from the import market.

A few other points to clarify here. As I note in the anime-related thread, HKFlix had relied on commonly used methods of determining the legitimacy of an item from areas such as Singapore and Malaysia (via film board certification) so if anything this only proved that a similiar situation can happen to any reseller and that this issue merits further investigation for parallel importers. Regarding a new poster signing up and criticizing both poker and seemingly defending hkflix, I can confirm this user is not affiliated with hkflix nor poker in any way, and had allready been posting similar threads on the asiandvdguide forums long before any of this. So to recap, both stores acted reasonably upon the information they had available to them given the unique nature of the situation, and they have since rectified the situation. If only politics worked so well...
Old 07-31-01, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Fist of Legend Ritek

Originally posted by hongkongdvd
I have the Fist of Legend Ritek DVD. It is widescreen with MANDARIN ONLY dub with burnt in white Chinese/English subtitles. All the Japanese people speak Mandarin as well in the movie. This is different in that the Cantonese version has the Japanese speaking Japanese and the Cantonese speaking Cantonese.

The ONLY reasons to get the Ritek version are:

(1) You speak and understand Mandarin.

(2) You like the original movie soundtrack (the Disney version has a different movie soundtrack).

The extra minutes come from a scene where Jet's older brother guy was smoking optium. A scene that was not important to the movie, but if you are a completist.

The picture quality is a lot worse than the Disney version with lots of scratches and dirt on the print. Again, unless the above 2 reasons are important to you, don't bother with this DVD.
Well, being a purist I suppose, I think all three are essential to the film. Why? Because I like the fact they speak in the original languages - bad dubbing is much more of a negative than reading subtitles. Also, I think the original score does quite well in conveying the mood of the film so it should be heard. And lastly, the "extra" minutes I think are crucial to the film - it's quite a shock to see how the Jet Li's victory has affected Tang Yan. Very effectively done, and it also illustrates the relationship he has with Hill Hong. Granted the print could be better, but speaking for myself (with the pluses I've listed) I think I'd prefer the Ritek version. As a side note this is my first HK DVD purchase, and I look forward to getting more. (In case you couldn't tell I thought the film was great )
Old 07-31-01, 09:13 AM

FOL RITEK

Here is a link to my review of the RITEK version. I tried to list as many differences as possible between the two versions.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/folritek.htm

Basically, in changing the soundtrack, Dimension altered the entire mood of the movie. The music is one thing but they also toned down the politics and they altered the relationship between Jet's character and the Japanese Master that he fights blind-folded. The movie has been sanitized. The dubbing isn't simply just using different words. It's changing an important element of the movie.
The only thing I find that the Buena Vista version has going for it is the transfer.

Vanian
Old 08-01-01, 05:10 PM

Re: Re: Fist of Legend Ritek

Originally posted by stingo

Because I like the fact they speak in the original languages

Well I got my copy 2 days ago and I love it. I have not seen any other version so I can't compare it to the Disney version...

Mandarin is not the original language of the film.... It is Cantonese and Japanese. I believe the only place that the original language is on is the VCD...