Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TOP 10 HK DVD movies

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

TOP 10 HK DVD movies

Old 07-03-01, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking to get some hong kong dvd movies from DDDHOUSE
but not sure whats really good. Any thought suggestions would be appreciated.

I hear ONce upon a time in china 1,2,3 were good
killer
hard boiled
better tommorow
iron monkey

any others out there that are really good? i usually get hong kong movies that have alot of ppl who like it.
Old 07-03-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tangno
I was looking to get some hong kong dvd movies from DDDHOUSE
but not sure whats really good. Any thought suggestions would be appreciated.

I hear ONce upon a time in china 1,2,3 were good
killer
hard boiled
better tommorow
iron monkey

any others out there that are really good? i usually get hong kong movies that have alot of ppl who like it.
All of the ones mentioned are great or even must sees in my book, and after looking through what they have, here are some more suggestions:

Jet Li:
Once Upon a Time in China & America
Swordsman II
Tai Chi Master
Fung Sai Yuk 1 & 2
The New Legend of Shaolin (Out of Stock)

Jackie Chan:
Dragon's Forever

Misc.:
The Bride with White Hair
Heroic Trio
Story of Ricky
Tokyo Raiders

Old 07-03-01, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a different viewpoint...people might not agree with me, but generally speaking box office equates to people liking a movie, so:

All-time HK movies (does not adjust for inflation) in HK, by box office, in HK dollars:

Top 10:
Police Story 4 (First Strike) 1996 - $57.5m
Rumble in the Bronx - 1995 - $56.9m
God of Gambler's Return - 1994 - $52.5m
Justice My Foot - 1992 - $49.8m
All's Well Ends Well - 1992 - $48.9m
Thunderbolt - 1995 - $45.6m
Mr. Nice Guy - 1997 - $45.4m
Fight Back To School - 1991 - $43.8m
Storm Riders - 1998 - $41.5m
All For the Winner - 1990 - $41.3m

Next 10:
Drunken Master II - 1994 - $40.9m
All's Well Ends Well 1997 - $40.4m
Royal Tramp - 1992 - $40.8m
God of Cookery - 1996 - $40.8m
God of Gamblers II - 1990 - $40.3m
Flirting Scholar - 1993 - $40.1m
Armour of God II (Operation Condor) - 1991 - 39.8m
Who Am I - 1998 - 38.8m
To Be Number One - 1991 - 38.7m
King of Beggars - 1992 - 38.6m

BTW, ABT made 34.6m back in 1986, which if we adjusted for inflation would have certainly broken the 40m barrier. OUATIC I made 29.6m in 1991, Fong Sai Yuk made 30.6m in 1993.
Old 07-03-01, 08:31 PM

The ones I can recommend:

- The Bride With White Hair

The producers of the hit TV series "Hercules" were so impressed with this film, that they based their new character on the main female character in the film - and they named that character "Xena" - who would later get her own mega-hit series. The cinematographer for BWWH went on to do the cinematography for "Crouching Tiger...". Easily the most imaginative and atmospheric HK film, and perhaps the most romantic as well (in spite of having plenty of fantasy action sequences).

- Iron Monkey

I am referring to the 1993 film by Woo-ping Yuen (there was also a 1977 film of the same name, which is an old-school low-budget kung-fu movie). This has an interesting story (which has appeal for people of all countries), solid script, good direction and pacing, good acting, occasional comedy but not overly cheezy, excellent martial arts choreography - since the director is the same person who did the martial arts choreography for "The Matrix" and "Crouching Tiger...". In fact, the fight scenes have a very similar look and feel to CTHD.

I think these two are a level above the rest. Many of the rest are good or very good, but I think the above two are the best to see if you are coming to HK films due to having seen "Crouching Tiger...".

By the way, I strongly suggest seeing Swordsman before seeing Swordsman II. The latter film is a sequel, and in addition, the latter film has very poorly translated subtitles, and is very fast paced, so it is quite difficult to keep up with the plot. In contrast, the first film is much better scripted, paced, directed and subtitled, and is worth seeing, so do yourself a favor and see it before you see the second film, and then you will have a better chance of enjoying the second film when you see it (which I think is good, but a little overrated).

The two Fong Sai Yuk films are excellent, but they are very corny and goofy. If you are put off by scenes in a movie that just seem plain dumb and/or totally improbable, then you may not like these films. Again, seeing them in order is good, but not as important as with the Swordsman series. The second Fong Sai Yuk film is better, because it is less corny, and because the last half hour is better than anything in the first film.

Other recommendations:

- The Shaolin Temple - Jet Li's first film. This has the most authentic kung fu fight scenes, since the whole cast is composed of martial artists, rather than actors. The overall story and direction is far better than I would have expected, given the lack of acclaim for this film. The photography of beautiful wilderness scenes is also worthwhile. However, avoid the US release which is mediocre, in favor of the HK release offered by DDDHouse and others.

- Deadful Melody - Probably this should not be amongst your first few HK films, but it has a very good script, and good direction and pacing, plus the occasional comedic touch. Not available in an HK pressing.

- Green Snake - Anyone who is interested in Eastern religion or philosophy would find this film compelling, because of its implicit statements about the lives of monks and householders. A highly unusual story, with unusual touches like the Indian dancers and singers who appear early in the film. Also not available in an HK pressing.

- New Legend of Shaolin - Another Jet Li film, this one has a well-directed mix of kids, kung fu, and wacky elements like strange attacking cars, all put together in a coherent and interesting story.

For those who are Netflix members, they have 95% of all the HK films I have ever heard of.

[Edited by HepDude on 07-03-01 at 06:34 PM]
Old 07-04-01, 12:55 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=119118