Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

twin peaks import dvd ?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

twin peaks import dvd ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know where I could buy the Taiwan dvd of the pilot of Twin Peaks? (besides eBay)

All I know about it is what I've read here:
http://www.dugpa.com/index2.html

Thanks.
Old 06-28-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite rip joint, scarecrow.com has it for 59.95....
Old 06-28-01, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
yeah I just noticed that. It must have just been added recently because I hadn't seen it just a few hours ago, unless I completely overlooked it. It goes for that same price on eBay, sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower. I really wish I knew what WB's intentions for this were so I could make a better informed decision on whether or not to get this version (which I know is the tv version, available for the first time EVER on ANY format). For all I know WB could release the "European version" as they did on vhs and laserdisc. I'll probably just end up buying it from scarecrow.
Old 06-29-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
it's 49.95 now. I caved in and placed an order.
Old 07-02-01, 11:06 PM

Please, let us know what's it like when you'll have watched it.
Old 07-03-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kino eye
Please, let us know what's it like when you'll have watched it.
I will......
but for now, here's the review I read that convinced me to buy it: ( from http://www.dugpa.com/index2.html )

There has been much debate lately as to whether or not the mysterious Catalyst Logic Twin Peaks: Pilot is legit or not. A 1998 article in Asia Biz Tech wrote this:

Ritek Inc. and Catalyst Logic Co., Ltd. obtained authorization from Orion Network Systems Inc., United Artists Theater Group and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. (MGM) for DVD production and distribution in Taiwan. This follows the success of InfoDisc Technology Co. Ltd. in obtaining authorization from Warner Advanced Multimedia Operations to produce DVD for Warner Brothers Records.

That allows Ritek and Catalyst Logic to join CMC Magnetics Corp., Prodisc Technology Inc. and InfoDisc to compete for the distribution and production rights for the eight largest film makers in the United States.
Twin Peaks: Pilot
Catalyst Logic Co. Taiwan / 2000 / 90 min / Not Rated
Reviewed by Brian Kursar on Monday, April 2nd 2001

Well, this is the first time I have ever written a review, so I'm going to try and keep it short and sweet, and just cut straight to the chase. I read great DVD reviews all day on sites like DVDfile, so I think I'll borrow their review format with this disc.

As many may know, about a month ago, copies of a supposed Twin Peaks: Pilot on DVD started floating around on various auction sites such as Ebay. Known on the internet as the "Hong Kong Twin Peaks: Pilot DVD" (probably because the first dealer to sell the DVD on Ebay was from Hong Kong) many, including myself were skeptical and understandably called it a bootleg at first glance. Taiwan is well known to have a very "thumb to nose" attitude when it comes to International Copyright Laws, and has been a source for movie bootlegs in general. The fact that it is not Regionally Coded, and also bears the "Republic Pictures" logo (a subdivision of Spelling Entertainment which was shut down many years ago) definitely raised some eyebrows. (For those of you that don't know, Region 0 DVD's can be played in all DVD players, and not just in the players of the specified region.) Well, I will tell you that we all were wrong. Upon getting a rave review from a really cool Ebay recipient of the DVD, I quickly contacted the seller on Ebay and arranged to get a hold of a copy for myself.

It seems that a company from Taiwan called Catalyst Logic has put out a limited release of the Twin Peaks Pilot as part of their "Silver Screen" series. Now in the US, I didn't think Republic Pictures had any rights to the Twin Peaks Pilot, otherwise we wouldn't have all these legal delays on the Pilot (owned by Warner Bros.) and Series DVD's (owned by Artisan), however, in this instance, Republic Pictures has their name all over this Catalyst DVD. They even have trailers for other Republic Pictures movies included on the DVD. Alright. Enough babble about legal issues on this one. Illegally released or not, it was officially distributed and released in Hong Kong, and here's what I have found:

Video:

This is the best the Twin Peaks Pilot has ever looked. (Well, aside from the big screen at last years Twin Peaks Fest) The disc has a surprisingly crisp and clean picture. I played this with a switchbox against the Warner Bros. Pilot Laserdisc, and the DVD did to the Laser Disc what Agent Desmond did to Deputy Cliff in FWWM. However, beware there are noticeable artifacts, but not so many that they detract from the presentation. The dark scenes were done very well IMHO. Minor dust specs on the print every once in a while, but much cleaner than the laserdisc. Overall, I would say that I would never touch my laserdisc again after purchasing this DVD. (Unless I wanted to watch the European ending which is absent from this DVD)

Audio:

The audio has received a FULL aggressive 5.1 remix. Lots of the sound effects are appropriately panned to the rear surround speakers. One thing you definately want to do is turn your back speakers down a bit, as they can often be distracting. The bass seems to be a bit much at times, but again, a slight adjustment on your Home Theater system can easily correct this. One specific moment that was a good use of the rear surround is when the translator mentions how "Health und Industry They Go Hand De Hand". The response laughter of the Norwegians are panned to the back speakers and give a "Room Full of Laughing Norwegians" effect. It is clear that whomever remixed the sound did so from a sound reel master.

Now the downside. There are a few things that bother me about the sound. First off, when comparing it to the Laserdisc, I noticed right away that it seems that whoever mastered the movie (I assume) transferred it from a PAL Master. It's the only explanation I can think of for why the pitch of the sound is about a half step too high. Also, the sound although pretty good for the most part, sounds a bit out of phase in the Center Speaker during parts with music in the backgrond. Although it is annoying at times, it is not completely a loss, as with the nice crisp picture, and a decent 5.1 remix, it is easy to get used to.

Supplements:

Well, there's not a lot here. You get a nice Scene Access menu, along with Character Biographies for Joan Chen and Kyle MacLachlan. You also get treated to some awful Republic Pictures trailers for "One Against the Wind", "Class Cruise", "Live Nude Girls", and "Witchboard 2: the Devil's Doorway". My advice... skip them.

Parting Thoughts:

All I can say is that I was very surprised by this release. Whether or not Catalyst Logic legally had the rights to put this release out or not, the great picture quality, and the remixed audio (although 4% faster that it should be) is a nice addition to a Twin Peaks Fan's collection. The DVD comes only with a 5.1 soundtrack, as the original 2-Speaker Surround soundtrack is absent. Finally having the Pilot as it aired on Television as opposed to the extended European version is a Twin Peaks Fan's dream come true. I would highly recommend this to any Twin Peaks fan that wants to get a clean copy of the Pilot on DVD. At this point, who knows when Artisan and Warner Bros. will be getting their acts together.

Your best bet for picking up one of these is on Ebay or seeing if your local DVD Dealer can special order a copy. Catalyst Logic RP-87 1017 UPC 4717985610174.

Twin Peaks: Pilot
Catalyst Logic Co. Taiwan / 2000 / 90 min / Not Rated
Reviewed by Brian Kursar on Monday, April 2nd 2001

DISC SPECIFICATIONS
Specifications
- DVD-Video
- Dual-Layer Disc
- Region 0
- NTSC

Aspect Ratio(s):
- 4:3 Full Frame

Dolby Digital Formats:
- English 5.1 Surround

Subtitles/Captions:
- English Closed Captions

Standard Features:
- Scene Access

Additional Features:
- Character Biography

List Price:
- NA
Released On:
- NA
Old 07-04-01, 12:51 AM

Catalyst Logic

As the article that has been posted indicates, Catalyst Logic is a legitimate Taiwanese distributor. Previously they have been known for releasing a large number of Japanese films on dvd in Taiwan along with some American films (I can't give much of a comprehensive listing for these as local importers only stocked their Japanese releases). If the Twin Peaks disc is from them it is indeed legit, so ignore any ranting and raving that states otherwise and happily pursue your show.
Old 07-12-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got mine from Scarecrow last night. I agree with the review above. The pitch does seem high, but it might not be as noticeable for those who have not seen it as many times as I have and basically have the sound and dialogue burned into my brain. I am quite happy with it. I think that this is a must own for serious Twin Peaks fans because this is the first time that the pilot (episode 0) has been available in its original "as aired on tv" form. Who knows what form WB will release it in when they get around to doing it. Artisan will probably release episodes 1-7 before the pilot gets released, and if you have this version, you can at least watch it before watching the rest of season 1. WB released "the European version" on both vhs and laserdisc so I would not be shocked if they f***ed us over on the dvd release too. From WB perspective, they only own the pilot, so why not release the version of the pilot that was designed to stand by itself and not be the beginning of a tv show? I believe this dvd is already OOP so I decided to buy a copy from Scarecrow because eBay prices are higher, and I wanted to make sure I got a copy of this NOW just to be safe. WB will probably release a better quality disc, and I will probably buy that too, but at least I am content knowing that I FINALLY own the REAL pilot. This is a 10 year dream come true. Here's a link to Scarecrow:
http://www.scarecrow.com./
http://www.scarecrow.com./News/titles_2/title_00286.htm
Old 07-15-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WB will EVENTUALLY release this. I will wait (if it were a reasonable price, I'd be all over this as well).
Old 07-15-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Electric2k
WB will EVENTUALLY release this. I will wait (if it were a reasonable price, I'd be all over this as well).
Yes, WB will eventually release this, but will they release it in the bastardized form that they did on vhs and ld? or will they release it in its original form. As I said, this import dvd is the FIRST time the pilot has EVER been released in its original form in ANY format.
Old 07-15-01, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Yup, this is the next title Keyser's picking up.

-keyser "HUGE T.P. fan" soze
###
Old 07-29-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to today's (July 29) announcement on:
http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdhtml2

pokerindustries is now selling the twin peaks import for $39.95