Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Elliott-Question for all living in UK

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Billy Elliott-Question for all living in UK

Old 04-22-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just watching this movie the other night and really enjoyed it. I was rather young when this movie took place
(1984) and have always lived in the U.S. I'm hoping someone
can answer my question(s)

A) What was the initial cause of this coal strike and how
long did it last?

B) How was it resolved?

C) Were you affected by the stike or do you know anyone who was (anecdotes)?

D) How accurate is this movie and its portrayal or the strike?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I felt like I did not have a clear understanding of the context of the film when I watched it. I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to offer a little insight so that I can better appreciate the film
during a repeat viewing.

Old 04-22-01, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try the link below.

http://home.t-online.de/home/Schoone/4.htm#42

i've read it myself and it's pretty unbiased. i myself live in an area that was affected (county durham)
Old 04-22-01, 01:00 PM

sorry, i should have given my answers to your questions.

1) the proposal of the government to 'modernise' the UK mining industry. Mainly by pit closures. march 1984 - march 1985

2) miners eventually returned to work after a year on strike, without any agreement.

3) no directly, but the area i live in was.

4) haven't seen film so can't comment.

hope this helps

Old 04-27-01, 04:04 PM

Ever see the movie Brassed Off? That was a much more accurate depiction of the miner's strike and IMO a better movie than Billy Elliott. It never ceases to amaze me that the Americans continually get all worked up over anodyne Brit movies like Four Weddings, Full Monty and Shakespeare in Love while ignoring the likes of Brassed Off, Trainspotting or Still Crazy. Apologies if that sounds like a rant, Billy is enjoyable but not realism.
Old 04-27-01, 06:42 PM

Haven't seen Brassed Off but have seen Full Monty, Shakespeare In Love, Trainspotting and Billy Elliot. I would rank these as follows:
1. Shakespeare In Love; 2. Full Monty; 3. Billy Elliot; 4. Trainspotting

So perhaps it's not so wrong to prefer Shakespeare In Love and Full Monty to Trainspotting And not only Americans praised Billy Elliot -- the very British magazine Empire hyped it like the best movie of all time. The film has won several (British) awards. It didn't get any Oscars as far as I recall. So it's not fair to say only Americans love it. This is not to say that Billy's a bad movie, just overrated. Oh, and I'm not American by the way