Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Are those ink cartridge refill kits any good?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Are those ink cartridge refill kits any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hobgoblin
Can anyone here tell me if there are any health implications in using a toner based laser printer in the house? I remember reading some scare stories long time ago that the toner particles can cause lung problems and is generally not desirable in a household containing small children.
In the laser printers I've used (all HP), the exhaust port has a carbonized filter (carbon is conductive) to which a small charge is applied to electrostatically attract the toner particles. I can't imagine any other reasonable way that still allows sufficient airflow. A simple sponge or plastic fiber air filter on the exhaust wouldn't be enough to remove most of those tiny acetate toner particles and a HEPA would be restrictive on airflow.
Old 04-10-03, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by BenCJedi
I am using a refill kit I bought at Sams Club for $20. The ink is virtually identical to the ink used in Lexmark printers. It looks and even smells the same. the instructions say to routinely refill the cartridges to keep the ink flowing. So far, so good. Can't beat the price either!
The price of the Stratitec Inkjet Refill Kit has dropped to the very hot price of $16.74 at Sam's Club. Although Wal-Mart owns Sam's Club, I don't know if Wal-Mart also carries the kit.

The Stratitec Inkjet Refilling Website has fairly detailed refilling instructions with pictures for various cartridges. It is worth visiting even if you have an inkjet refilling kit from a different supplier. It's probably the most complete customer service information inkjet website out there as it even has info about getting around the Epson smartchip that Epson uses to try to prevent refilling, videos on refilling carts, and even a colortest image for print tests.

The Stratitec website also indicates that the newer HP cartridges 56,57,58 can be refilled with the current refill kit.

Last edited by Startide; 04-12-03 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-13-03, 08:23 PM

Costco sells inkjet refills now too for $16.99 per kit. These are made by IMS INK whose website is at http://www.ims-ink.com. These kits look fairly similar to the Stratitec ones sold at Sam's Club. The amount of ink is similar (480mL). The number of bottles of ink is similar (3 black, 3 colour, and 2 photo-colour). They also have a tollfree support line (1-888-304-6125, M-F 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-5pm).

The Costco ones are physically better than the Stratitec ones because each ink bottle comes with its own injection needle, so there is no need to share needles as with the Stratitec kit. As we have often heard, sharing needles is bad.

It looks like all those other refill ink sellers will have some competition now from both Sam's Club and Costco. Unlike a lot of sellers, Sam's and Costco both have well-known stellar satisfaction return policies without restocking fee.
Old 06-01-05, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Island Inkjet

I noticed you were talking about Island Inkjet do NOT use them
to refill ink cartridges. They absolutely SUCK. I took my black cartridge to one of the stores here in Toronto at the
Lawrence Square Mall. It was actually the manager of the store who is the one who has screwed things up. At first when
I spoke to thier corporate office they tried to blame it on a new employee. But I later found it it was the manager of
the store who screwed this up.

Island Ink-Jet
Paul Ghobrial
Manager
Operation and Infrastructure
Lawrence Square
700 Lawrence Ave W, Toronto, ON, M6A 3B4
Tel: 416-256-6233
Fax: 416-256-9433
[email protected]
http://www.islandinkjet.com

What he did was he over filled the cartridge and didn't follow proper filling procedures. This came from one of the support
people at the Island Inkjet Helpdesk. The support person there Shirwin specifically told me that this guy did not follow the
proper proceedure and ink was leeking out the back breather hole and that he over filled the cartridge and he even mentioned
the chance that he put the wrong ink into the cartridge.

Shirwin
1-866-465-7878 ext 228
[email protected]
[email protected]

So I took the whole print head to the store
where they orginally screwed up and he claims now
that I have a clogged print head. Gee I wonder why
after the cartridge was over filled and running out the
front of the cartridge too fast and was leaking out the back
air breather hole and even thier own people think there was a
posibility that they put the wrong ink into the cartridge.

Now this issue has been esclated to Alex Schulz
[email protected]
[email protected]
Who is the VP for the Ontario operation. And so far the company refuses to take responsibility for the damage caused by
thier employee and refuses to fix the print head on my Canon S500 Printer. Do NOT use this company to refill any of your
ink cartridges they will destroy your printer and when they do they will not take responsibility and fix the damage
they have caused.

This company is not a reputable company and is nothing more then a scam. DO NOT use them to refill any ink cartridges
you will have a lot of problems with them!

Jamie