Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Disney Movie Insiders (RIP DMR)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!
Old 01-31-20, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
Link for monthly newsletter bonus points:
https://www.disneymovieinsiders.com/...=mysterypoints
Print Wikipost

Disney Movie Insiders (RIP DMR)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Disney Movie Insiders (RIP DMR)

In mid-March, I redeemed all my points for the $100 gift card and used it on some Haunted Mansion merch from shopDisney. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out very well. I ordered the grandfather clock replica and it was totally lop-sided, like the resin was warped. Customer service told me a replacement was coming, but I waited two weeks and it never did. When I reached back out, they claimed no replacement would be provided until I returned the defective one. I told them that's not what I was told previously. I also said I wanted to be sure the replacement was in good shape before returning the defective one. If I ended up with two defective clocks, I didn't want to make multiple trips to a UPS store during a pandemic to fix their mistake.

So they told me they understood and would send a new clock out right away, while warning I would be billed again if they didn't get the first one back. They said they would reach out after I'd gotten the replacement to confirm it was in good order before scheduling a UPS pick-up at my house for the defective one. I was very happy with that solution. Then a few days later, they sent me an e-mail saying UPS was coming to pick up the package the next business day - BEFORE the replacement had arrived. I appreciated that I didn't have to go out to return the clock, but now I was keeping my fingers crossed the replacement wouldn't have issues and I'd have to start this process all over again.

Well, the replacement finally got delivered and I had a chance to inspect it. While this one stands perfectly straight, it's missing the yellow paint on the eyes. Also, the face of the clock (which is just a cheap decal) is crooked and should have been rotated 1/4" to the left. Terrible quality control for an $80 item of this size, though I got it for $60 during a sale. Customer service haven't gotten back to me yet, but at this point I just want to return the damn thing for a refund. $40 of the order total was billed to my credit card, which is the amount the gift card didn't cover. I believe the shopDisney return policy states any order paid for with multiple forms of tender will only be refunded as merchandise credit. That's the last thing I want right now, since they don't sell anything else I'm even remotely interesting in. I'd at least like the $40 charge refunded, or (even better) the full $60 issued as a refund to my credit card for the trouble. That way I can be done dealing with gift cards. I have enough to worry about at the moment apart from this stupid overpriced clock.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-12-20 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

That sounds like a nightmare to deal with but Disney is in a world of hurt at the moment. Losing money left and right with their parks closed down.
Old 05-14-20, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I definitely feel for the park employees (or anyone) who may not have a job to go back to. As for the shopDisney site, their Facebook was getting slammed with complaints from pissed off customers about eBay flippers scooping up all the exclusive Star Wars Day merch. Maybe that's why it's taking so long to get a response, plus it's possible their customer service is operating with a reduced staff. I don't really feel like calling and it's easier to explain everything via e-mail and let them take their time sorting it out.

The deal with this clock is becoming a comedy of errors at this point. I just checked the tracking for the first clock that UPS picked up at my home earlier this week. The status shows "Delivered - The package will be returned to the sender." I really hope that's incorrect and the damn thing isn't coming right back to me.

UPDATE: Thankfully, the damn thing did not come right back to me. Customer service arranged another pick-up for the second defective clock and a supervisor agreed to refund the entire cost of the item to my credit card for the inconvenience. This took over six weeks of back and forth e-mails to get resolved, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with any more gift cards.

So I ended up with the Haunted Mansion pillar bust set for free (after gift card), along with a $20 statement credit. I guess that was a decent way to wipe out my point balance. The busts are pretty heavy and seem like a decent deal, even at full retail. They weren't flawless, though. One bust had dark dry brushing applied to only one eye, another has a gap on the top of the pillar because the bust wasn't centered when they glued it. Still, I didn't want to risk exchanging these as well. I felt lucky they arrived without any chips or cracks. Plus, I've seen more than one customer complaint about shopDisney only sending out one random bust (tossed loose in the shipping box) instead of the whole set. Their shipping department isn't always on the ball, even before the pandemic. I once ordered a Maleficent statue and ended up receiving a long stemmed wine glass in an huge box packed with a hundred air pillows. The statue sold out before they could correct the mistake and it took a couple years before I managed to catch it in stock again during a sale.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-07-20 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Maybe ... just maybe ... they will have tons of merch they need to unload after all of this and we will see it pop up for rewards.
The following users liked this post:
CptnAmerica13 (05-22-20)
Old 05-19-20, 10:51 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

10 Points

PRINCESS
Old 05-21-20, 10:45 PM

10 Points

SAMANTHA
Old 05-23-20, 10:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

10 more points

FUNDAY
Old 05-23-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
10 more points

FUNDAY
I got 20 for that one!
Old 05-24-20, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I got 20 for that one!
Same here - although I have no idea just what I'll use them for with the dearth of decent redemptions following the redesign.
Old 05-24-20, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I got 20 for that one!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Same here - although I have no idea just what I'll use them for with the dearth of decent redemptions following the redesign.
Same here. 20 points and unsure what to use these bonus points along with the numerous points from the Best Buy Steelbooks I've entered.
Old 05-25-20, 01:56 AM

Now that DMI is connected to Movies Anywhere, I'm hoping they'll add digital copies to the rewards list.
Old 05-25-20, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Now that DMI is connected to Movies Anywhere, I'm hoping they'll add digital copies to the rewards list.
I share that same hope.
Old 06-30-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Four more free codes. PM each title you'd like the code for

Escape to Witch Mountain - Claimed
Return From Witch Mountain - Claimed
Honey I Blew Up the Kid - Claimed
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Claimed

Last edited by John Galt; 07-01-20 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the point of this thing called Disney Movie Insiders? I've gone several times to the site and there is absolutely nothing. I'm glad I burnt through my points at Disney Movie Rewards but unfortunately I've earned a couple thousand points since then and the only thing I can redeem it on is an Onward Digital Key Art for 5 points. WTH? I don't understand why they bothered with this. With that, I don't know why I've bothered with it either.
Old 07-09-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to agree with you Pizza ... I am losing interest. I used to get some great posters and did score a great set of Iron Man bobbleheads. I don't look on there most of the time and haven't even been cashing in on these free points.
Old 07-13-20, 10:26 PM

20 Points

DISNEYHITS
gerrythedon (07-28-20)
Old 07-14-20, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was at around 1800 points after redeeming all I could on DMR prior to the cutover to DMI. After all the cheap Best Buy Steelbooks, etc and the points flowing in from MA I am now at over 13K. And there is literally junk in rewards right now. I did read somewhere they were holding back physical rewards due to COVID concerns. It is too bad they don't offer Digital Codes for movies or music as a reward or maybe even credit towards Disney+. Here's to hoping the program improves over time.
Old 07-14-20, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

"DISNEYHITS"

Move that S back 3 spaces
Old 07-21-20, 03:42 PM

Got an "Important Update About my Account" today, read like something from my landlord:

Here is an overview of some of the changes; however, we encourage you to read our Terms and Conditions for complete details:
  • Points will only be awarded for one (1) Code per eligible physical product per format (e.g., UHD, Blu-ray, DVD, etc.) per Account. Enrollees will not earn points for more than five (5) valid Code entries from eligible physical products within a twenty-four (24)-hour period. Any codes entered beyond the maximums outlined above will not be eligible for points.
  • To preserve a safe, inclusive, healthy environment for all members, Disney Movie Insiders reserves the discretion to restrict, suspend and/or discontinue the participation of any member whose program behavior is deemed to be abusive, offensive, inappropriate or objectionable.

Wonder what they mean by that second point? Just because I ordered something custom-printed with "Duck Fisney" on it?
Old 07-21-20, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

‘Bout time Disney acknowledged the allegations against Donald Duck. How long were they going to let that guy continue to pull the “I’m a cartoon, I don’t have to wear pants” bit with the interns?
Old 07-27-20, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

MADTEAPARTY

10 points
gerrythedon (07-28-20)
Old 07-28-20, 03:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Thanks!
Old 09-02-20, 12:37 PM

Adam Tyner (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 12:38 PM

WISHGRANTED

20 Points
Jay G. (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 11:56 PM

Got 25 points for my birthday month also. 11 years ago they let me have a free Blu-Ray for the cost of shipping, but had nothing the years after that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.