Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Old 07-15-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Anyone know if you can use MoviePass in a different state than where you signed up? I'm not currently signed up but I'm traveling for work the next couple months and thought about signing back up if I can use it on the road.
Old 07-15-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I haven't actually tried it, but I've heard that you can
Old 07-15-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I have, there's no problem or issue with using it nationwide.
Old 07-15-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I've used it while traveling. Just have to load new theaters based on the gps.
My latest peeve, the last two times I opened the app it's made me log in again. Anyone else? I used to stay logged in for weeks.
Old 07-15-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I think I'll sign up again. Back home in North Carolina there are a couple of theaters with cheap screenings if you go earlier, so I couldn't justify $40 a month. But every theater since I've been on the road has been $9 or $10 - I think it was almost $11 in Roanoke. It would cost me $30 to see everything I want to see just this weekend. Sucks that they have to mail you a card though, I don't know exactly where I'll be in a week.
Old 07-22-17, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Mine expired. I'd do it again at the $20 a month deal I got ($120 for 6 months after Groupon discount) but no way at $45 a month. But I got the movie-going bug now so I'll be visiting the $2 theater from now on
Old 08-15-17, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your email. I just got one that said the service is going to $9.95 per month for at least next 12 months.
Old 08-15-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow. I just got that too. I was seriously about to cancel, I have not gotten anywhere near my money's worth the last two months, but for 10 bucks I'll keep it till it goes back up. (Which, I'm sure, is behavior they're expecting).
I would say that seems like a hailmary to get or keep some subscribers, but it looks like it's both a Facebook model (where our roles as data generators is worth more than our membership fee) and a way to increase stats before an IPO.
Old 08-15-17, 09:22 AM

I was still only paying $30 per month, as I never got bumped up to the new rates when they increased the price, and I usually see at least 3 moves a month, so it was working out for me, but yeah, this is great.
Old 08-15-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's also posted on their site at the $9.95 price.

Moviepass has jerked me around for the past year, but despite the headaches, when I've had it, it's been worth it. They just keep trying to institute a higher price ($100/mo) on me since they deem me a "high usage" person (probably avg 8 movies/mo). I've been without it for about 4 months, so I'll try it again at this new price and see how long it takes them to force me to cancel.
Old 08-15-17, 09:55 AM

I'm getting "Application Error" (in 2 different browsers) when I go to their site.

Traffic from this news crashed it?

EDIT: It loaded finally, but it's really slow.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 08-15-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the $9.95 email as well. Was always at $30 per month anyway, and made them reimburse me for the months where I was overcharged. Wondering what the catch is.

Last edited by bluetoast; 08-15-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Netflix Co-Founder’s Crazy Plan: Pay $10 a Month, Go to the Movies All You Want

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/n...100506677.html

As movie theaters struggle with tepid sales, Mitch Lowe has an extreme proposal for how to get more people into seats: Let them come to all the showings they want for about the price of a single ticket each month.

Lowe, an early Netflix Inc. executive who now runs a startup called MoviePass, plans to drop the price of the company’s movie ticket subscriptions on Tuesday to $9.95. The fee will let customers get in to one showing every day at any theater in the U.S. that accepts debit cards. MoviePass will pay theaters the full price of each ticket used by subscribers, excluding 3D or Imax screens.

More from Bloomberg.com: Gates Makes Largest Donation Since 2000 With $5 Billion Gift

MoviePass could lose a lot of money subsidizing people’s movie habits. So the company also raised cash on Tuesday by selling a majority stake to Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc., a small, publicly traded data firm in New York. The companies declined to comment on terms of the financing but said MoviePass intends to hold an initial public offering by March.

Ted Farnsworth, chief executive officer at Helios and Matheson, said the goal is to amass a large base of customers and collect data on viewing behaviors. That information could then be used to eventually target advertisements or other marketing materials to subscribers. “It’s no different than Facebook or Google,” Farnsworth said. “The more we understand our fans, the more we can target them.”

More from Bloomberg.com: Intel CEO Becomes Third Chief to Quit Trump Council After Riots

Theater operators should certainly welcome any effort to increase sales. The top four cinema operators, led by AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc., lost $1.3 billion in market value early this month after a disappointing summer. The number of tickets sold in the U.S. and Canada last year declined slightly, while box office revenue rose just 2 percent thanks to pricier tickets, according to the Motion Picture Association of America, a trade group. The cost of a ticket has almost doubled in the last two decades, according to the website Box Office Mojo. The average price is about $8.89 this year, though it can be much higher in some cities.

MoviePass was founded in 2011, originally with a business model similar to a gym membership. The company hoped to turn profit from subscribers who paid $30 or more per month but didn’t use the service often enough to justify the cost. Lowe, a fixture of the home video business who helped get Netflix off the ground and served as president of rental-kiosk operator Redbox, was named CEO last year. The privately held company declined to disclose subscriber numbers or financial information. Lowe said the data-based business model is still “years in the future.”

More from Bloomberg.com: More CEOs Turn Their Backs on Trump

With the new strategy, MoviePass hopes to resolve what Lowe sees as the biggest factor to blame for the theater industry’s decline. He said the high price of tickets, not competition from Netflix or Amazon.com Inc.’s Prime Video service, is a big part of what’s keeping people away. “People really do want to go more often,” Lowe said. “They just don’t like the transaction.”
Old 08-15-17, 02:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I managed to sign up, but the app ain't working for shit. Probably still getting hammered.
Old 08-15-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moviepass was just sold. That's why the drastic change.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/moviepass-1202527956/
Old 08-15-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

This is like a desperate attempt to get enough users to not have to forfeit stock early to the buying company. I mean both articles say their business model is basically by the tickets from theaters at cost, lose a ton of money, and pray that the theaters and movie companies see the additional business and let them in on some profits.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/moviepas...rm-1202149402/

MoviePass will forfeit 20% of the H&M shares if it doesn’t have 100,000 subs at least one day in the year after the deal closes — or if it can’t be publicly traded by the end of January 2018.

H&M will give MoviePass $2 million worth of additional shares if it gets 150,000 subs within 15 months after the deal closes.
Old 08-15-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

This sounds too good to be true. On the surface should be a no-brainer. It's like Scarlett Johansson just lifted her skirt, bent over and said "Take me to town."
Old 08-15-17, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

So how do I know which theaters will take moviepass?
Old 08-15-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/am...ss-1202528974/

Looks like AMC theaters won't be honoring Movie Pass.
Old 08-15-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried to sign back up but can't get past the payment info screen. Same thing happened a month ago when I last posted in this thread.
Old 08-15-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
So how do I know which theaters will take moviepass?
What's your zip code? I can give you a brief list.
Old 08-15-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/am...ss-1202528974/

Looks like AMC theaters won't be honoring Movie Pass.
They're looking into ways to not honor them, but I'm not sure how if Movie Pass is fine with buying the tickets at full price. Maybe some kind of resale language in their terms of service?

I mean, the theaters that currently don't honor them don't take debit cards, I assume.
Old 08-15-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't see how it's possibly for the company to afford to do this. They'll essentially lose money if people see more than one movie per money and may even lose mone if they only see one movie per month.

Not quite understanding AMC's issue with it. If they get the admission price paid from Movie Pass, than what is the issue? People that pay less for a movie will be more likely to buy at the overpriced food at the concession stands. Whenever they have the free advanced screenings, more people buy food than when they pay full price to see the film.
Old 08-15-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru
I don't see how it's possibly for the company to afford to do this. They'll essentially lose money if people see more than one movie per money and may even lose mone if they only see one movie per month.

Not quite understanding AMC's issue with it. If they get the admission price paid from Movie Pass, than what is the issue? People that pay less for a movie will be more likely to buy at the overpriced food at the concession stands. Whenever they have the free advanced screenings, more people buy food than when they pay full price to see the film.
Like I said before, the business plan seems insane. They don't even have a deal with the theaters to get discounted tickets, they're just bleeding money and hoping that they get enough of a footprint to have others see what a benefit the model is. But what's stopping AMC or whomever from cutting them out as a middleman if this does become profitable? And this latest price cut, like I said before, is an attempt to reach inflated subscriber numbers to fulfill some of the acquisition conditions (and it'll probably work).

I think AMC's problem with this is if it does become a success, it devalues the value of their movie tickets and what people expect to pay. If this company bleeds money for a year then goes out of business, people will still be conditioned by then to expect unlimited movies for 10 bucks a month, and will balk at paying that much for a single movie.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-15-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

I don't think I'm going to bother with this. While tempting, I think this business plan will crash and burn or theaters wont honor the program.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.