Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I had to install an update to the app before I could check in tonight. Now it wants you to submit a picture of the ticket stub after you purchase. Presumably to weed out scammers like me who buy tickets for the wrong thing.

I went ahead and bought my ticket, which was not the movie I checked in for, but this may be what finally gets me to cancel. Not sure I can figure out a way around this. Right now I already have a check in that I don't have an accurate stub for. I can probably get them to waive that one time if I say I lost it, but that won't go very far if I try to keep doing it. I'm sure I could probably buy tickets to the movie I checked in for, take the photo, and then exchange the ticket at the box office, but I don't if it's worth the hassle. Not to mention the looks that I'd start getting if I started doing that all the time.
Can you not just check in for the movie the ticket is for regardless of what you actually see?
Old 01-13-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I can't, for several reasons.

1. The theater I go to most often has reserved seating, so I can't just buy a ticket for one thing and walk into something else.
2. Even if I could find a free seat and not get hassled about sitting in someone's chair, if I can't buy a 3D ticket and pay the upcharge out of pocket, then buying a ticket to something else would not get me any 3D glasses.
3. I often check in for an evening show and instead use it to buy two advance morning show tickets (which is the same price as one evening show, and is what i was doing last night). Sometimes I do this 2 or 3 times to get enough tickets to take the whole family to kids movies.

If I can't do item 3 anymore, I'm not sure this is worth it to me.
Old 01-13-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

In addition to the new picture verification, they sent out a vague e-mail today with the following line "As a result, from time to time, theaters in your area may not be available for ticketing."

They were vague (purposefully?) in the e-mail, but on Twitter they've clarified that for theaters they do not have partnership with, there will be a daily allotment of tickets.

I haven't been burned by Moviepass in the more than 4 years I've had the service, and honestly it's been an amazing service that has saved me lots of money and allowed me to see a lot of movies, but I feel that day is coming where it all collapses. And I'll be sad about it, but they've brought it on themselves.
Old 01-15-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

This movie ticket per theater quota might be the last straw.
Old 01-27-17, 09:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen very little of the quota lately. I saw lots of movies in December but haven't seen any yet in January, so I wonder if I'm being spared it due to my low usage.
Old 01-27-17, 09:30 PM

Did anyone here NOT get the ticket stub photo verification added to their app? My friend has a new membership that he just started this month, and he doesn't have to submit photos. So I'm wondering if it's just something they've added to high volume users accounts.
Old 01-27-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have to submit photos, although it does say you have to in the FAQ. I've never been asked to actually do it though. I'm not a high volume user really though, I've been 5 times this month, only once last month, but I usually go 6-8 times a month.
Old 01-27-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have both the quota and photo verification, they showed up on back to back days a few weeks ago when this mess all exploded. I'm a 6-8 times a month user.

At least according to Twitter, they have reached an agreement with Regal Cinemas, so that chain doesn't have a quota.

This whole thing is bad policy, communication and customer service, but maybe it's just my movie going habits, I haven't had an instance of not being able to buy a ticket in the 4 theater trips I've made since the policy started (*knock on wood). It does seem the later in the afternoon or later in the night you try to go, the better the chances you won't get tickets.
Old 04-01-17, 05:35 PM

Heads up: AMC stubs doesn't allow you to save up rewards anymore, so if you have earned a $5 reward it'll be automatically deducted the next time you buy a ticket. I try to use my rewards for concessions or AM screenings so that's really annoying to me - moviepass will end up getting the savings from your reward unless you plan it out correctly.

I'm in an AMC/Regal market (NYC) and actually find the free Regal membership way more rewarding than the $15/year AMC Stubs.
Old 04-01-17, 05:56 PM

I was at AMC last night, I have $10 in rewards, and it was not automatically redeemed when I bought tickets.

I've found that it only AUTOMATICALLY applies to your next purchase if you go onto the website or mobile app and click "Activate Reward".

I also make sure to tell the register jockey that I do not want to use my reward any time that don't want to, because they sometimes have a bad habit of applying the reward without telling you, assuming that you want to use it.
Old 04-01-17, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I was at AMC last night, I have $10 in rewards, and it was not automatically redeemed when I bought tickets.

I've found that it only AUTOMATICALLY applies to your next purchase if you go onto the website or mobile app and click "Activate Reward".

I also make sure to tell the register jockey that I do not want to use my reward any time that don't want to, because they sometimes have a bad habit of applying the reward without telling you, assuming that you want to use it.
Thanks, that's very interesting. At the register they told me that it was a system update. But what do they know... I wonder if my reward had been previously activated by someone at the register. I always tell them I don't want to use it, but today they told me I no longer have that choice.
Afterwards I did go on the Stubs website and submitted a picture of my receipt. Hopefully that'll work to get the points.
Old 04-14-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I go once a week and I have to submit photos. I wouldn't call that high-volume.
Old 04-14-17, 05:49 PM

My friend activated his 6-month Groupon deal in December, and he still doesn't have to submit the photos. We go to mostly the same movies, except when I take my kids to something.
Old 04-14-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally had to start submitting photos last week. I'm almost up on my 6-month groupon.
Old 04-15-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had to submit pictures for the past couple of months or so.

The issue with the rationing of tickets appears to have gone away though, or at least I have not seen it in about a month.

It was a rocky start to the new year with Moviepass - but now with the 24 clock gone and no more ticket allotments - I am back in a happy place with the service.

The ticket verification is fine, it's so minor an inconvenience that I hesitate to call it an inconvenience.
Old 04-16-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of AMC rewards, does anyone know if Stubs is linked to MoviePass? Because now that I don't get a physical ticket printed out.(the ticket is scanned via the MoviePass app) I'm wondering if I have to show the customer service desk that scrrrn to have it applied to my account. But I see I have an "e-ticket" history, so maybe I can retroactively apply it.

Actually, in the "Loyalty Programs" part of the App, all I see is Goodrich Theaters...even though I thought AMC and MoviePass made some deal a while back.
Old 04-16-17, 05:22 PM

I've never been forced into E-ticketing for AMC Theaters. It was for a while for MJR theaters, but there were tons of problems such as the seating maps on the app not being correct, and they ditched it. The two main chains I go to are AMC and MJR, and I use the debit card at both.

EDIT: Are you getting the ticket in your email as if you'd bought it on the amc website? Because if you are, and if you'd prefer to have physical ticket to submit for stubs rewards after the fact, I'm pretty sure you can scan the QR code on your email at the kiosk, and it will print a physical ticket
Old 04-16-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So after I select a seat and confirm, the app generates the ticket directly via a QR code which the usher scans. It used to have a mismatched seating chart, and a ticket would be printed out immediately, but these days there's no physical ticket and the seat listed on the app is correct.

But now that I think about it, and since you mentioned it, I would sometimes redeem via the kiosk by scanning the code. So I can probably continue to do so.
Old 05-05-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The AMC Stubs issue seems moot considering you don't get points when using Moviepass per their own Twitter.

Link
Old 05-05-17, 09:31 PM

That's what they say, but if you're using the debit card, they absolutely will take a Stubs Card with it, and if you're using eticketing, and you have a stub from a kiosk, you can just submit the stubs after the fact and they will add it to your account.

I don't imagine that they are verifying methods of payment with submitted pictures of ticket stubs.
Old 06-16-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, shit ... I got my first "ticket photo" today. Is this for certain theaters, or for all?
Old 06-16-17, 06:42 PM

Every theater except ones that are e-ticketing
Old 06-23-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone tried Dolby Cinema at AMC with Moviepass? It shows as a listed showtime in the app, but I know those screenings carry a premium price similar to IMAX.
Old 06-24-17, 07:18 AM

I've also noticed that Dolby showings were listed in the app, but I haven't tried them.
Old 06-25-17, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit, I haven't been seeing as much as usual these past few months. But it's more than paid for itself over the years, so I figure a little bit of slacking is fine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.