Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

I've noticed that their front page now says "starting at just $39.99* a month" but I haven't gotten any notice about my rate changing yet. I currently pay $30 and renew on the 18th of each month.
Old 09-12-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danstheday
My 24 hour clock is gone also. I heard that If you have the unlimited plan you are now allowed to see as many movies you want per day but the only allowed to see each movie once is still in effect. Also I tried to get a new theatre that opened up around the corner from me added to the app and was basically told that they are no longer adding new theatres to the app.
Whoa. I haven't had MoviePass in like 2 years now. But if they got rid of the clock, and you can see multiple movies on the same day, then heck, I need to sign up again! Did they ever integrate rewards programs into Moviepass, like they had discussed long ago?

EDIT: Their homepage says:
See a new movie every day
$49.99/month

I put in my address, and it came up as $44.99/month. I used to qualify for the $30 plan. That's a significant increase. I don't see the 3-month, 6-month or 12-month options any longer. Just stupid 2-3 movies/month options.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 09-12-16 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the price increase email today, $40 up from $30 starting 10/4. I don't know if I'll keep it or not. I only saw 3 movies last month, and there are probably only 5 or 6 movies I'll see in the next couple months, so I'll probably just cancel it for now.
Old 09-14-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the notice as well. Going from $29.99 to $39.99 - only change is the 24-hour clock going away (per their customer service). My next billing is 10/3, so I need to decide if I'm going to keep it.
Old 09-14-16, 09:29 AM

24 hour clock is already gone. I noticed that a month or two ago. I still can't check into more than one movie per day, but I can go in the morning the day after I saw a movie at night.

And I still don't have any communication regarding a change in price. I renew in two days, so either I have at least another month at the old rate, or someone will be getting bitched out if I renew at the new rate with no notification.
Old 09-21-16, 07:14 PM

If anyone is interested in pre-paying for 6 months, there's a groupon right now where you can buy a 6 month unlimited movies per month pass for $150. And if you use code AUTUMN20 at checkout, it will knock another 30 bucks off the price, so you pay $120, or an average of 20 bucks per month.
Old 09-21-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
If anyone is interested in pre-paying for 6 months, there's a groupon right now where you can buy a 6 month unlimited movies per month pass for $150. And if you use code AUTUMN20 at checkout, it will knock another 30 bucks off the price, so you pay $120, or an average of 20 bucks per month.
I would guess the reduced price is due to the summer movie season being over and by the time the six month pass is over, we would be in the spring season when all the good movies are coming out.
Old 09-21-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I decided to do it since mine goes up in like 10 days.
Old 09-22-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. After getting hosed on the pricing a few months ago and canceling, I gladly signed up again at this price.

FYI For anyone interested, the AUTUMN20 promo ends tonight 9/22/16.

Although, this was my first groupon so I used their code, FIRST for the same discount.
Old 09-24-16, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you do the groupon if you're already a moviepass member?
Old 10-02-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by skywalker8
Can you do the groupon if you're already a moviepass member?
I'm not sure you can. I just cancelled mine and it said "Are you sure? You won't be able to sign back up for 6 months." Which seems like an odd thing for a business to say to a customer.

So I think I'll have to use a different email address to sign back up. I'm going to try when I get home, I'll post back when I do.
Old 10-06-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow even at $20 I don't think I'm ready to re-sign up (I was a member around 2012... and used it TONS... back then it was $30 a month unlimited). But movie tickets are $5 here..... I'd have to go to four movies a month or two with the hubs just to break even and we just go to one once in a while.
Old 10-08-16, 07:01 AM

When I was using the app to check in the other night, I noticed that it looked to allow me to check in for 3D movies. I didn't try it, because I wasn't planning on seeing "Storks 3D", but has anyone else noticed this? I haven't had to change my payment plan yet. Still being billed $30 per month at last charge and no notice of any kind from them about the change yet.
Old 10-09-16, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I did that all the time. You check in for a night movie that costs the most and then buy the matinee 3D which costs least, so it's free. Watched tons of 3D. All it does is load that amount to the card. You're not actually checking in to a movie. I forgot how I did this but a couple of times I was able to take mom and sister (and me) for free to a movie although it was a bit of work and finagling. Also saw very cheap IMAX this way like 3 bucks total using the system indicated for 3D. The movie theater runs the MoviePass card first then you pay the balance (and I'd push back if they said anything, they would say they can't do it, but they can).

Oh yeah I remember. Check in through the app for a movie on Monday, go to theater buy a ticket for Wednesday showing. Check in through the app for a movie on Tuesday, go to theater and buy a ticket for Wednesday. Check in through the app on Wednesday, buy the third ticket. It does require three trips to the movie theater. It was on my way home from work so I'd either do it before work or after work. I didn't even have to drive anything extra to get to the movie theater. And it was a standalone accessible from the street with a huge parking lot that was always empty (I work nights).
Old 10-09-16, 07:17 AM

I play the numbers game too (like check in for a $10 evening showing, and buy 2 $5 matinee tickets), but it looked like the app was actually going to let me check in for the 3D showing (and presumably pay what it costs). I've never seen a 3D showing come up in the app as available for check-in before.
Old 10-09-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine has been showing some 3D movies as available for a few weeks now, but it's pretty selective. I don't watch 3D movies, so I haven't tried to actually check in yet.

I canceled my first account, but I ended up just signing up with a different email address to use the Groupon deal, so when that new card shows up I can check and see if it lets me check in to a 3D movie.
Old 10-18-16, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I play the numbers game too (like check in for a $10 evening showing, and buy 2 $5 matinee tickets), but it looked like the app was actually going to let me check in for the 3D showing (and presumably pay what it costs). I've never seen a 3D showing come up in the app as available for check-in before.
Ooooohhhhhhh smart I hadn't thought of that

So ended up buying it Haven't activated it yet as it's been a busy month. I'll probably start it the second week of December. So I need $10 of tickets a month to break even or one movie for both of us, anything else above that is gravy.
Old 11-13-16, 04:21 PM

Has anyone else used MoviePass this weekend? And if so, has anyone else had any strange experiences like this one? I saw Arrival on Friday night. Checked in using the app, and I got some weird error, like "Reservation not made" or something like that. I called support, and they told me that it went through, but they were having some problems with the app.

They gave me a confirmation number, which at first I wasn't sure what to do with, but whatever, I thought they were just confirming that it went through. So I go up to the box office to buy my ticket, and the card is declined.

I called them back, and they explained that I was supposed to type the confirmation number into the kiosk. I did, and it printed out a ticket.

At first I thought it was something weird related to the problems they were having with the app, but the more that I thought about it, I'm concerned if this is their new method for purchasing tickets via the app. If it was just a problem with the app, you'd think my debit card would have been loaded or could still be loaded by the agent. Are the debit cards being phased out? If this is the new method I do not like it.

First, I usually go to a reserved seating theater, and this leaves me unable to choose my seat.

Second, I can't use theater rewards cards when tickets are purchased like this.

And Finally, I often check in for one movie and buy tickets for something else. For example, I often check in for an evening show and instead buy 2 morning tickets for the next day (which comes out to the same price). This leaves me unable to do that.

If it is the same next time I check in for something, I will most likely cancel the service.
Old 11-13-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

That is weird.
I used it friday night and didn't have a problem.
The times I have had problems with the app, they have told me to buy the ticket and email a copy to them and they'll reimburse me. (That doesn't help your other scenarios of course.)
Maybe that's their new way of dealing with temporary issues instead of a reimbursement. I definitely hope it's not a way to more tightly control purchasing of tickets.
One of my two theatres went assigned-seating as well so now that throws me off as well with certain purchase scenarios.
Old 11-13-16, 11:18 PM

Update, I saw Hacksaw Ridge tonight. I had the same problem. I checked if there was an update for the app, and there was. When I installed the update, then after checking into a movie, it shows me a theater map and asks me to select a seat. On the screen it has a button that says "purchase E-ticket".

Now this time I actually had to call them again to get the confirmation number, but presumably, if I had updated the app before checking in, it would have given me the confirmation number directly. Now it seems that they are only doing this method, at least for this theater chain. I'm going to have to try it at a different chain and see what happens. This particular chain has its own website where you can buy tickets without paying a surcharge from fandango or movietickets.com so presumably, the app is taking advantage of that to buy the tickets through the website. I'm guessing that if I go to a chain that only does online ticketing thru one of the commercial websites above, that I will still be able to buy tickets via the old method, as they aren't going to pay the ticketing fees from those sites.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 11-13-16 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 11:02 PM

Still works the exact same way for me.
Old 11-17-16, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I used it three times last weekend and didn't have the check-in issues you're reporting. It was more "crashy" then it's ever been, but I can easily see that being an iOS 10 issue.
Old 11-18-16, 06:09 AM

I see now in the app that the theater I usually go to has a red ticket next to it in the theater listings, which means that it's an e-ticketing theater.

I've never seen that before, but I guess that means that it currently only applies to this particular chain in this area, but I would guess that if they can work it out, it would expand to other chains at some point, especially if they already have a method for online ticketing without service fees.
Old 12-06-16, 10:54 PM

An Alamo Drafthouse opened in Brooklyn recently, but it's not listed on Moviepass. Moviepass says they might not offer them at all and that they're still negotiating. Just curious for anyone else with an Alamo Drafthouse in their neighborhood: are you able to use moviepass there?
What's interesting is that Drafthouse tickets at $14.50 are actually cheaper than nearly all other theaters in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Old 01-12-17, 09:09 PM

I had to install an update to the app before I could check in tonight. Now it wants you to submit a picture of the ticket stub after you purchase. Presumably to weed out scammers like me who buy tickets for the wrong thing.

I went ahead and bought my ticket, which was not the movie I checked in for, but this may be what finally gets me to cancel. Not sure I can figure out a way around this. Right now I already have a check in that I don't have an accurate stub for. I can probably get them to waive that one time if I say I lost it, but that won't go very far if I try to keep doing it. I'm sure I could probably buy tickets to the movie I checked in for, take the photo, and then exchange the ticket at the box office, but I don't if it's worth the hassle. Not to mention the looks that I'd start getting if I started doing that all the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.