Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Aeropress for $20.50 on Amazon. The best coffee you'll ever have at this price

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Aeropress for $20.50 on Amazon. The best coffee you'll ever have at this price

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aeropress for $20.50 on Amazon. The best coffee maker you'll ever have at this price

I Just got mine in the mail today and I have to say I'm in love with the thing. Just check the reviews on it to see what I mean. I was skeptical that it would live up to the reviews hype but I'll be damned if it isn't miles ahead of the drip coffee method everyone is so used to. A giant plus is that it's insanely easy to use and it pretty much cleans itself when using it.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306552354&sr=8-1

Last edited by takingchase; 05-28-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-28-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Aeropress for $20.50 on Amazon. The best coffee you'll ever have at this price

Do you use a French Press and can compare the two?

it certainly looks worth checking out.
Old 05-28-11, 10:38 PM

Re: Aeropress for $20.50 on Amazon. The best coffee you'll ever have at this price

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
Do you use a French Press and can compare the two?

it certainly looks worth checking out.
I have used a french press in the past and just in the few days I've had the aeropress I prefer it much better but honestly it all comes down to tastes. I can certainly see how someone would prefer one over the other but here are my reasons on why I enjoy the aeropress better.

It's microfiltration system allows for a much cleaner cup off coffee which also results in a smoother less bitter taste. As far as ease of use goes I would make it a tie between the two, they are both pretty straightforward however cleanup on the aeropress is a breeze and takes only a few seconds.

The one thing I really enjoy about the aeropress is how versatile it is. You can make an espresso, latte, cappuccino, or just americano coffee.

There's also an inverted method with the aeropress that is almost like the french press method and the filtered method of the aeropress combined that I just tried today and I'm really liking. You can find plenty of videos of this method on youtube.

I would say it's worth a try, even if you prefer you're french press the aeropress is a great little brewer to have on the go or even take to the office since it will brew with just the hot water from your tap.
Old 05-29-11, 01:15 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that and draw some attention to this method.
Old 05-29-11, 04:13 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that and draw some attention to this method.
I've been experimenting more with the inverted method I mentioned briefly and I'm really coming to like it a lot, the taste of this method is very comparable to french press if you enjoy that. My favorite method still has to be adding milk to the espresso shot for a latte though. I've almost gone through a 12oz bag of coffee since posting this. Here's a video for that inverted method I was talking about.

EDIT: I tried to embed the video but for some reason it didn't work so heres the link.

http://www.tested.com/how-to-make-an...opress/47-139/
Old 05-30-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does it compare to Starbuck's Clover brewing?
Old 05-31-11, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by bahgee
How does it compare to Starbuck's Clover brewing?
You mean how does it compare to an $11,000 coffee machine? Is this even a serious question?
Old 06-01-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, if it taste close to or as good as clover and you can have it in your home, then there is no need to chase down a starbuck's with a clover machine.
Old 06-01-11, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by bahgee
yes, if it taste close to or as good as clover and you can have it in your home, then there is no need to chase down a starbuck's with a clover machine.
I've never had coffee from a clover machine so I couldn't tell you but I highly doubt it's comparable.
Old 06-02-11, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
I've never had coffee from a clover machine so I couldn't tell you but I highly doubt it's comparable.
You never know. i think starbucks swill is overrated and could be filtered through gold thread and still taste off. So an 11000 dollar machine may not rehab their brew to taste as good as this one.

That is the fun of individual tastes i think.
Old 06-03-11, 02:30 PM

You never know. i think starbucks swill is overrated and could be filtered through gold thread and still taste off. So an 11000 dollar machine may not rehab their brew to taste as good as this one.

That is the fun of individual tastes i think.
I agree, I think their plan with buying out the clover was not to try and make their garbage taste any better but to eliminate any competition that is still going to be vastly superior even without the machine.
Old 06-04-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend turned me on to the aeropress a few months ago. I really like it--that and my Senseo (with fresh-ground beans) are my 2 go-to coffee preparers. My french press(es) and cone filters are pretty idle.

You REALLY have to follow the instructions closely, even if they seem off. Use the full scoop(s) of grinds with the measured amount of water (which isn'ta lot, relatively) and stir for just 10 seconds. Also make sure the water is at the right temp. I bring the water to a boil and then add cold tap water in the maount of about 1/6 of the boiled volume--comes out pretty close.

The coffee comes out very dark and concentrated, almost like espresso. But the taste is much smoother/mellower, more like cold-brewed coffee. Add hot water to make a full cup after pressing, or drink it straight--far less bitter than espresso imo. If you ever had the old (pre-Seattle's Best) Burger King coffee or coffee from the dispensers down in Disney World, it tastes a lot like that to me.

Much different than a french press--very smooth, no grounds, easy to clean. It even made slightly old beans taste better than they smelled! You can also make really good iced coffee with this. Just add ice to the concentrate, and a bit more cold water to taste. (Add sugar before ice, if you want it sweetened.)

Cleaning is a snap. After it's pressed, just unscrew the cap with filter, and push the piston in the rest of the way to pop out the grinds into a trash can. Rinse off the end and the cap, and leave the piston in the chamber with the rubber seal sticking out the end. Sounds complicated, but it's a simple and quick routine. Plus you don't have to heat up a lot of water so it is pretty quick.

P.S. Thx for the info on the inverted method. Haven't heard of that before and will try it out. Any idea how many scoops corresponds to the 20 g of coffee?

Last edited by drmoze; 06-04-11 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading this thread makes me realize I don't know shit about coffee.
Old 06-04-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been playing with mine so much since I got it that I am so hopped up on espresso that I may never sleep again. I am really enjoying it so far, each cup is better than the last one. This is shaping up to be a good replacement for my busted up French Press.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-04-11 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
A friend turned me on to the aeropress a few months ago. I really like it--that and my Senseo (with fresh-ground beans) are my 2 go-to coffee preparers. My french press(es) and cone filters are pretty idle.

You REALLY have to follow the instructions closely, even if they seem off. Use the full scoop(s) of grinds with the measured amount of water (which isn'ta lot, relatively) and stir for just 10 seconds. Also make sure the water is at the right temp. I bring the water to a boil and then add cold tap water in the maount of about 1/6 of the boiled volume--comes out pretty close.

The coffee comes out very dark and concentrated, almost like espresso. But the taste is much smoother/mellower, more like cold-brewed coffee. Add hot water to make a full cup after pressing, or drink it straight--far less bitter than espresso imo. If you ever had the old (pre-Seattle's Best) Burger King coffee or coffee from the dispensers down in Disney World, it tastes a lot like that to me.

Much different than a french press--very smooth, no grounds, easy to clean. It even made slightly old beans taste better than they smelled! You can also make really good iced coffee with this. Just add ice to the concentrate, and a bit more cold water to taste. (Add sugar before ice, if you want it sweetened.)

Cleaning is a snap. After it's pressed, just unscrew the cap with filter, and push the piston in the rest of the way to pop out the grinds into a trash can. Rinse off the end and the cap, and leave the piston in the chamber with the rubber seal sticking out the end. Sounds complicated, but it's a simple and quick routine. Plus you don't have to heat up a lot of water so it is pretty quick.

P.S. Thx for the info on the inverted method. Haven't heard of that before and will try it out. Any idea how many scoops corresponds to the 20 g of coffee?
I didn't measure it out but after playing around with it a few times two scoops tends to be the sweet spot with me on the inverted method. I know it seems off since you use two scoops with the little ammount of water for the regular method but since it has more time to steep with this method it comes out about right.

I've found that using my old drip coffee maker as a warmer for the water brings it to about the right temp also. Gotta use it for something since the aeropress took over my coffee needs