Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

1 Year FREE Amazon Prime... for College Student Only!

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

1 Year FREE Amazon Prime... for College Student Only!

Old 07-23-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 906 Likes on 762 Posts
Re: 1 Year FREE Amazon Prime... for College Student Only!

Originally Posted by Dorsalphin
I'm currently sharing a free student account with my sister (from last year before they prevented student accounts from sharing). Does anyone know if I can continue to share her prime membership if she signs up for another year at the $39 rate, or will they kick me off of prime as soon as the 2nd year starts?
You will remain on student Prime if she renews. You do not get the free streaming though, that will only go to the master account.
Old 07-23-11, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to love Amazon's customer service. I really can't think of another company that does as much to keep their customers happy.

I decided to convert/renew my Student Membership since I really used Prime a lot during the last year and otherwise I have to hold off on purchasing things to reach the $25 threshold, while risking price increases or things going OOP, etc. Seemed a small price to pay, especially at the discount, to not have to worry about shipping at all.

So I went to renew it and when I was reading through it made it sound like I would be allowed to decide which card on my account I wanted to bill for Prime, but the one I wanted was my default card anyway (a credit card) so I clicked through and for some reason it charged to my secondary card (a debit card). I make a lot of purchases through my debit card, but always have the default as the credit card just in case I need to order something before I can make it to the bank to put funds in my debit account, so I don't risk overdrawing or having something canceled for lack of funds. So this charge was a problem because I had a few bills coming due and knew I wouldn't be able to make it to the bank and didn't want to get too low in my debit account. So I contacted Amazon and asked them if they could just transfer the charge to my default card (the one I wanted to put it on initially), and they responded saying they couldn't do that, but due to the error in charging my secondary card they canceled the charge to my debit and gave me another free year of Amazon Prime. I thanked them and told them that was most generous.

Just another reason why Amazon is truly the company to beat when it comes to customer service. I would have been perfectly fine paying the fee and just having them transfer it to the other card, or having them cancel the charge and let me go through the process again, but they went above and beyond; if there was any doubt as to whether I'd renew Prime a year from now, there isn't anymore.
Old 07-25-11, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I graduated in 1999 and I still have my .edu address, and it worked, so yes.
Nice, so they don't check if your enrolled for classes?
Old 07-26-11, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 830 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
Nice, so they don't check if your enrolled for classes?
Nope. How could they? The University wouldn't provide that kind of information to Amazon.com
Old 08-12-11, 04:34 AM

I let this lapse a month or two ago, but I'm considering getting in on this deal for when school starts back up. Does anyone know if I can purchase Prime using my gift card balance? I'm thinking the answer is no. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-11, 04:45 PM

Is there a way to register under a different school address? My original Prime ran out but I have 2 school emails
Old 08-30-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My school email ends in .alumni.edu so they can tell I'm not a student quite easily.
Old 08-30-11, 07:42 PM

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I went with the $39 deal today and I'll do it as long as I can and will likely go back to full-price Prime when the day comes (we did that for two years before Student Prime, too).

We order so much from Amazon that when people gave us Target cards at our baby shower, I was actually a little frustrated because I know most anything we'd get there we'd usually get at Amazon and for a little cheaper. But seriously, we get pretty much everything there. Gifts, textbooks, media, baby gear, toiletries, grocery subscriptions, etc. We use our Amazon Visa every time and score tons of points and pay it off every month. If you're a big Amazon user like us, the Amazon Visa is a great rewards card. Three points for every dollar spent at Amazon, two points at gas stations and restaurants, and one point everywhere else. 2500 points gets you a $25 Amazon gift card and that's better than a lot of the Land's End merchandise our MasterCard rewards card gives us.

Amazon Prime and the Amazon Visa? It's a no-brainer.