Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

25% off media storage in DeepDiscount.com sale...

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This of course as noted in the DVDs thread lasts until June 20th...

Here is the "Deals" page link that has them all listed...

http://www.deepdiscount.com/electron...storage_deals/

One thing to note for those who've ordered Leslie Dame shelving units (I still think have been the best deals for keeping your DVDs).

Many of us have gotten burned when they bought some LD shelving units during the November/December sale in 2008, and it was right about that time that they had a factory fire there and most of us have had those orders put on hold. And with the exception of some oak cabinets that they still had some residual stock in, they were pretty much unavailable until just about a month or two ago, when I had all of my backorders shipped.

Now DD doesn't carry the black CD-1000 any more, but they do carry the following with the additional 25% off, and they are as good as you can get with free shipping any place on the web. So take advantage of them now, and you should get them shipped to you pretty quickly to boot!

Black CD-500 - $109.95 (list) Sale price: $65.97
http://www.deepdiscount.com/product/...torage--black/

Oak CD-500 $109.95 (list) Sale price: $65.97
http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cf...-B44E98C00DC9/

Cherry CD-500 - $109.95 (list) Sale price: $82.46
http://www.deepdiscount.com/product/...orage--cherry/

Oak CD-1000 $199.95 (list) Sale price: $119.97
http://www.deepdiscount.com/product/...-storage--oak/
Old 06-13-10, 11:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: 25% off media storage in DeepDiscount.com sale...

obligatory additional 4% back with www.bing.com
Old 06-13-10, 11:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

How easy are they to put together?
Old 06-13-10, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
How easy are they to put together?
I've found them pretty easy. You don't need any glue. Just a screwdriver. Now given that the middle shelf is fixed and not adjustable, I've found two shelves on each unit I have to size down so that I put two sets of DVDs in them sideways, which isn't optimal, but you get used to it. There are some articles on the web from some who've gone to the trouble of modifying the mounts so that you can combine thee two "half-sized" shelves into one by shifting the middle fixed shelf up. But I don't think its worth it, unless you really care a lot about appearance.

I also like that they the side panels stick up over the top, so that you can stack an extra row of DVDs on the top of the case too, and those side panels are tall enough to "bookend" an extra row on top without falling if the shelf is full of DVDs.

I did buy one Spartak shelf unit when these were not shipping, and by comparison, it was a nightmare to install and to use with extra panels you have to screw on to the front, etc. too. And ultimately they are more expensive too.

Perhaps try getting one this weekend, and if you can get it shipped to you before the sale ends and its easy enough to put together and you like it, you can get more ordered before the sale ends.

Last edited by DVDealer; 06-13-10 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-13-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

The two vertical walls on the outside are not one continuous piece of wood, are they? That would be a dealbreaker for me, as it was on similar items from Sauder. I understand why they cut them down in length (to save on packing and shipping), but it makes the units infinitely more fragile and prone to falling apart.
Old 06-13-10, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The two vertical walls on the outside are not one continuous piece of wood, are they? That would be a dealbreaker for me, as it was on similar items from Sauder. I understand why they cut them down in length (to save on packing and shipping), but it makes the units infinitely more fragile and prone to falling apart.
They are both continuous pieces of wood, as is the divider center panel in the CD-1000.

Now on the CD-1000 (where there is the center divider, there are two rear panels that face the wall, but they both go full height and slide in to slats on the side and and divider panel, and screw in to the fixed horizontal middle panel.

These are particle board, but most are these days, and they for the most part are pretty solid, and certainly strong enough for DVDs. Be forewarned that the CD-1000 now I think is rather heavy. The backordered ones I have ship now in one big box rather than two separate boxes for each unit that I think they used to ship them as before the factory fire. So you might want to have a lot of strength or a handcart handy to move them around your house. The CD-500 isn't too bad weight-wise and I think are the same as they were before.

Last edited by DVDealer; 06-13-10 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 10:00 AM

Are these made out of real wood, or just laminated particle board?
Old 06-14-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Tucker
Are these made out of real wood, or just laminated particle board?
Not real wood.
If they were, they'd cost a lot more!
Old 06-14-10, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDealer
I've found them pretty easy. You don't need any glue. Just a screwdriver. Now given that the middle shelf is fixed and not adjustable, I've found two shelves on each unit I have to size down so that I put two sets of DVDs in them sideways, which isn't optimal, but you get used to it. There are some articles on the web from some who've gone to the trouble of modifying the mounts so that you can combine thee two "half-sized" shelves into one by shifting the middle fixed shelf up. But I don't think its worth it, unless you really care a lot about appearance.

I also like that they the side panels stick up over the top, so that you can stack an extra row of DVDs on the top of the case too, and those side panels are tall enough to "bookend" an extra row on top without falling if the shelf is full of DVDs.

I did buy one Spartak shelf unit when these were not shipping, and by comparison, it was a nightmare to install and to use with extra panels you have to screw on to the front, etc. too. And ultimately they are more expensive too.

Perhaps try getting one this weekend, and if you can get it shipped to you before the sale ends and its easy enough to put together and you like it, you can get more ordered before the sale ends.
Thanks for the info!

I measured the space I have semi-cleared for it, and I only have 59 or 60 inches, so this is too high for me right now. Nice price though, I'm going to look around for another spot for it. My place is like a jenga puzzle.
Old 06-14-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got this one from them late last year and it's very nice. Pretty easy to put together, solid enough construction for the price, and a lot nicer than your standard clutter looking racks.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/electron...doors--walnut/

cheapest I think its been, I paid about the same. Everywhere else goes for about $450-500

Last edited by statcat; 06-14-10 at 01:29 PM.