Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

(4/7 only) Refurb Samsung BD-P1590 Blu Player for $85 shipped (Woot.com) - Hackable

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

(4/7 only) Refurb Samsung BD-P1590 Blu Player for $85 shipped (Woot.com) - Hackable

Old 04-07-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today (4/7) only.
www.woot.com

Samsung BD-P1590 BD-Live 2.0 Blu-Ray Player w/Netflix, Blockbuster, Pandora & Youtube Streaming

$79.99 + $5 s/h = $84.99

That's a good price to begin with, but if you want more the player can be made region-free:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sa...bd-p1600/10179

Hack may work on first try with US firmware, but if it does not the player can be updated with non-US firmware which is confirmed as compatible. The R4 firmware can be downloaded from Samsung/Brazil:
http://www.samsung.com/br/support/de..._name=BD-P1600

Note: The BD-P1600 firmware works fine with the BD-P1590 model. Be certain to read the instructions at Videohelp regarding modifying the R4 firmware header (using a Hex Editor - requires only the change of one character in the header) to ensure that the R1 player will accept it.
Old 04-08-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: (4/7 only) Refurb Samsung BD-P1590 Blu Player for $85 shipped (Woot.com) - Hackab

I went for it, reading about the hack it seems slightly complicated (I am a total moron with things like "firmware"), but I figured for $85 even if I can't make it region free I'll see what Blu Ray is all about.
Old 04-08-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: (4/7 only) Refurb Samsung BD-P1590 Blu Player for $85 shipped (Woot.com) - Hackab

Yeah, I had to look over both parts of the hack to make sense of it. Even wrote myself a combined set of instructions to help me through it once my player (yes, I ordered one) arrives. It's pretty straight forward, but it involves more steps than a "normal" hack. My instructions have two parts - one to try on the out-of-the-box system, and another to allow me to update with the R4 firmware and try it that way.