DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Hot Deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals-2/)
-   -   One & Only Discoramaoverstock.com Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/563442-one-only-discoramaoverstock-com-thread.html)

bigjim25 10-20-09 10:35 AM

One & Only Discoramaoverstock.com Thread

The discussion about Discoramaoverstock.com was starting to take over the Yourmusic.com Thread so here's a thread for them. ;)

In addition to regular CDs they do sell some cut-out titles which you can read more about here:
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by MusicLover7 (Post 9776966)
Cut-Out Titles

Cut-out tiles are the discs that turn up in the discount bins at Wal-mart and other such stores, as well some larger record store chains. These are CDs that the label or distributor have decided to no longer carry in their catalog (known as "cut-out titles" in the business), and their remaining stock is sold in bulk at a deep discount, often pennies per disc. These discs are marked at the warehouse and sold in very large lots (hundreds of thousands) to wholesalers who specialize in these discs. The wholesalers then resell them to record stores and discount chains, in large lots (500 discs and up) without any choice as to which specific titles are included, although the retailer probably is told what the better titles are in the batch as a selling point. The wholesaler uses the sellable titles within these lots to dispose of the unsellable dreck also included.

A few of these discs are still in print in a different form. Sometimes one label will buy another, and the old stock will be cut-out, even though these recordings will continue to be sold with a different UPC and label name on the packaging. Sometimes titles will be replaced with an improved pressing (extra tracks added, remastered sound) and the old stock will be cut-out. Most often the disc is no longer in print at all. No matter why the label decided to let them go cheap, there are good deals on hard-to-find discs to be found in cut-out bins. Sometimes discs for which one has been looking for years will turn up.

On occasion, the sawmarks or drilling do not penetrate completely through the jewel case and leave the inserts unmarked. These could be moved to a new jewel case, and be indistinguishable from a non-cut-out CD. Be on the watch for this when searching through a cut-out bin, and try to look at all copies of any title you've selected to buy, in order to get the least damaged copy.

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 9778983)
A couple corrections:
1. some cutouts are overstock rather then deletions.
2. There are a number of cutout wholesalers who do allow cd retailers to pick the titles they order in the quantities they wish.

Feel free to discuss deals or Discoramaoverstock.com in general. :D

MusicLover7 10-20-09 12:16 PM

Re: One & Only Discoramaoverstock.com Thread

Thank you very much bigjim25 for starting this Discoramaoverstock.com thread. :)

I tried to start one last week but I failed. :confused:

MusicLover7 10-20-09 12:24 PM

FYI-It seems Discoramaoverstock.com is adding a few new titles daily.

Also, anyone interested in the Bruce Springsteen-Working on a Dream CD and/or the [Limited Ed.] + [DVD] both are now back in stock.

MooMooMooMoo 10-21-09 12:11 AM

This is of more interest to me the then Your Music - YM has owed me a free cd for around 3 weeks & I can't find ANYTHING to order!

MooMooMooMoo 10-21-09 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by MusicLover7 (Post 9785402)
FYI-It seems Discoramaoverstock.com is adding a few new titles daily.

I wish they had a sort by new additions option.

MusicLover7 10-21-09 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 9786885)
I wish they had a sort by new additions option.

I agree!

I normally click on CD under Shop by Category and then I slowly sort thru 19 pages of CDs looking for new titles.

I see they have added The Beatles -09.09.09 Promo Sampler for $50.00.

Hollowgen 10-21-09 11:41 PM

some great deals, cutouts or not! thanks for this heads up.

MusicLover7 10-22-09 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen (Post 9788920)
some great deals, cutouts or not!

It's all about the music! :rock:

Especially when it's inexpensive. :)

Hollowgen 10-22-09 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MusicLover7 (Post 9790612)
It's all about the music! :rock:

Especially when it's inexpensive. :)

placed an order at time of my post, and it's shipped already. nothing like picking up some guilty pleasures for dirt cheap.

oh that and the radiohead deluxe editions for a steal of a price.

Mickactual 10-22-09 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by MusicLover7 (Post 9786957)
I see they have added The Beatles -09.09.09 Promo Sampler for $50.00.

Damn! It's showing "out of stock". This I'd have grabbed!

MusicLover7 10-23-09 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mickactual (Post 9791094)
Damn! It's showing "out of stock". This I'd have grabbed!

I would check their website everyday because it seems like popular titles (like The Beatles-09.09.09 Promo Sampler) are constantly in and out of stock.

MooMooMooMoo 10-23-09 06:11 PM

Large order placed Sunday arrived today. Not that I care, but out of 12 titles 3 were cutouts.

MusicLover7 10-23-09 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 9792705)
Large order placed Sunday arrived today. Not that I care, but out of 12 titles 3 were cutouts.

I also just received a 20 CD order today and only 5 of the CDs are cut-outs.

And I definitely don't care if the CDs are cut-outs!

SkullOrchard 10-23-09 08:58 PM

Their search function sucks.

Hollowgen 10-25-09 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard (Post 9792950)
Their search function sucks.

the whole website sucks.

at least there's not a TON of stuff to browse through.

Lipid 10-26-09 10:18 PM

For those who check this website consistently enough to tell what's a new item, would you be so kind as to tell us what the new ones were that were added?

Hollowgen 10-26-09 11:30 PM

Looks like some new offerings, such as an iPod! Not a bad price, either.

Also--What the hell is going on with this thread? Posts are being removed by silent moderation?

Hollowgen 10-30-09 07:05 PM

Pleased to report that my first order of 6 items arrived today, and they're all brand new & NOT cutouts.

MooMooMooMoo 10-31-09 01:07 AM

One thing i have noticed, is that prices frequently go up on the cheapest titles, but never seem to go down. I suspect they're tracking sales & raising prices on popular items, possibly automatically with software. My point is especially with the free shipping, if you see something you want, buy it!

BobO'Link 10-31-09 04:18 PM

My problem with them is being forced to open a PayPal account just to make a purchase. I've dealt with several vendors who use PayPal but you're not forced to open an account just to pay. As long as this is their policy, they'll not get orders from me.

MooMooMooMoo 11-01-09 04:31 PM

Can't you just enter your credit card at the pay pal link without actually signing up for Pay Pal?

auto 11-01-09 06:20 PM

Anyone order the Radiohead remasters? Were they sealed with no punch/cut out?

Hollowgen 11-01-09 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 9809833)
Anyone order the Radiohead remasters? Were they sealed with no punch/cut out?

Yup. Just got the Amnesiac 2CD/1DVD box, and it's brand-spankin-new without a cutout, punch, or notch.

jak140 11-04-09 12:52 AM

I just got my order today and all cds were in good condition, though a few had slashed barcodes. But the weird thing was that my order was padded with an empty contact lens case, a full bottle of thyroid pills, and an exercise hand grip. What the eff?

Hollowgen 11-04-09 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jak140 (Post 9815026)
I just got my order today and all cds were in good condition, though a few had slashed barcodes. But the weird thing was that my order was padded with an empty contact lens case, a full bottle of thyroid pills, and an exercise hand grip. What the eff?

:lol:

are you serious?