Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

ESPN Universal Remote (wifi-enabled) for $105 shipped at Woot

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Linky: http://sellout.woot.com/

Woot is selling the ESPN Universal WiFi Remote for $99.99 (plus $5 s/h). This is one-third the $299 price at Amazon and other locations.

Not only is it a universal learning remote, but it has a built-in WiFi browser that can be configured to show you channel listings (broadcast, cable or satellite) or real-time access to sports news, scores, game updates, box scores, standings, ESPN.com, fantasy leagues, etc. It's also motion sensitive, so it lights up when you pick it up, and goes dark to conserve power when not in use. Also, since it probably eats batteries like candy, it comes with rechargable batteries and a charging cradle.

Amazon Linky: http://www.amazon.com/ESPN-Ultimate-.../dp/B00198LRPE
ESPN's dedicated product website: http://www.espnremote.com

This is a brand new unit, NOT a refurb. Comes with a 1-year warranty. Here are the full specs:
  • One-handed operation for unified control of TVs, HDTVs, DVDs, DVRs, set top boxes, audio equipment and more
  • Programmable learning remote with advanced macros and activities
  • Vibrant, 2.2” QVGA color LCD use to operate your home theater equipment. Then, use the display to wirelessly surf the Internet, catch up on sports and browse TV listings
  • Internet browser provides links to online content, information, and search including Facebook, Wall Street Journal, Yahoo! and more…
  • Easy hassle free set up, you won’t have to search for device codes and model numbers just to set up your remote
  • TV Guide online lets you browse TV listings as a multi-day guide; works with HD broadcast, cable TV and satellite
  • One-touch wireless access to real-time access to sports news, scores, game updates, box scores, standings, ESPN.com, fantasy leagues, stats, schedules, and more
  • Get the Internet delivered in the palm of your hand with the Wi-Fi feature, on the couch or in the kitchen
  • Contains pre-programmed device codes for multiple equipment types. A PC is not required in the set up process. Select the particular device type to add and select the brand by manufacturer. If a code set cannot be identified in the process, new codes can be added easily by learning codes from the manufacturer’s remote
  • Motion sensor, the backlight will turn on when you pick up the remote after the remote has been idle
  • Light sensor adjusts LCD to room brightness
  • Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with charging cradle
  • Operating System, Windows CE Core 5.0
  • USB interface to charge the lithium-ion battery
  • Dimensions (H x W x D): 7.25" x 2.25" x 0.875"
  • Weight: 6.5oz

And a link to the manual: http://www.click365.tv/documents/dmr...0UG_4.book.pdf

Edited to add: I just flipped thru the manual. If you register the remote online, it gets assigned it's very own email address. You can compose/send/receive email directly from the remote, and can also use it for Instant Messaging.

Dealio is good until Midnight CT tonight, or another 10+ hours.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 10-14-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-14-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: ESPN Universal Remote (wifi-enabled) for $105 shipped at Woot

Good deal compared to the prices elsewhere. I'd love to try one out, but don't know if I can bring myself to dropping over a hundred bucks on a remote. Anyone here have one?
Old 10-14-09, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Good deal compared to the prices elsewhere. I'd love to try one out, but don't know if I can bring myself to dropping over a hundred bucks on a remote. Anyone here have one?
Im thinking of buying one lol
Old 10-14-09, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I've got multiple $100+ remotes, and they're worth every penny. But I love Logitech remotes so much, I'd be weary to go with another brand. I agree some of the features do sound really cool.

As much as I love the concept, how lazy do you have to be to browse for scores on your actual remote while you're sitting in front of the TV? Don't get me wrong - I like the idea...
Old 10-14-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by shelland
I've got multiple $100+ remotes, and they're worth every penny. But I love Logitech remotes so much, I'd be weary to go with another brand. I agree some of the features do sound really cool.

As much as I love the concept, how lazy do you have to be to browse for scores on your actual remote while you're sitting in front of the TV? Don't get me wrong - I like the idea...
Universal Remotes > Logitech remotes

Old 10-15-09, 06:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Darn, go half a day without checking the forum and I miss on a deal I would have jumped on.
Old 10-15-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Darn, go half a day without checking the forum and I miss on a deal I would have jumped on.
Same here. I already have a Harmony remote, but I woulda bought this anyway. It sounds freaky cool. Well, woot deals tend to repeat eventually, so hopefully I can catch this the next time around.
Old 10-15-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only problem I had with buying it was that it didn't seem to list blu-ray players as a device it controls.
Old 10-15-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by runner001
The only problem I had with buying it was that it didn't seem to list blu-ray players as a device it controls.
Perhaps, but it's a learning remote, too. You just put your Blu Ray remote on one end, press a button, and your new remote knows now to parrot that back whenever you need it. I much prefer learning remotes over pre-programmed, although having the ability to do both is a huge plus. This remote does both.