DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Hot Deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals-2/)
-   -   Best deals on Windows 7? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/562838-best-deals-windows-7-a.html)

kayak99 10-08-09 09:45 AM

Best deals on Windows 7?

Thought it might be nice to consolidate in one thread the best deals for Windows 7.

I'm looking for the best prices although I am not sure if I just want to upgrade from Vista or do a full fresh install. My situation - I want to use it for two laptops & one pc. One benefit I have is that one of the laptops belongs to my college student son so I could go for the student version although I think I prefer the pro.

What's out there?

Thanks

jonw9 10-09-09 09:00 PM

Re: Best deals on Windows 7?

Go to a university?

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/sto...=1255139989085

kenbuzz 10-11-09 08:38 AM

Front page, this forum:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/5...-students.html

Otherwise, the next best might be to pick up a copy of Vista that's bundled with a free upgrade to W7, though the "discount" tend to only be around $10 right now.

Last option is to hover on eBay after 10/22 for copies that folks who pre-ordered for $50 back in June will be selling. Heck, there might even be a few of those up right now.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-11-09 05:06 PM

You're about a month too late for the good deals. If you signed up with ACM, you could've grabbed 8 keys for $19. Then there was also the Windows 7 House Party where everyone that was selected got a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition.

Right now if you go to a university, the best bet is what jonw9 linked to unless you're getting a computer science degree and then you should be able to get a login to MSDN for free and get a copy through that.

Otherwise I'd check ebay or find someone that got in on the MSDN through ACM and see if you can buy a key for cheap off of them.

I'd be willing to part with a key if I wasn't already using them all at home.

timewaster 10-12-09 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 9766894)
You're about a month too late for the good deals. If you signed up with ACM, you could've grabbed 8 keys for $19. Then there was also the Windows 7 House Party where everyone that was selected got a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition.

Right now if you go to a university, the best bet is what jonw9 linked to unless you're getting a computer science degree and then you should be able to get a login to MSDN for free and get a copy through that.

Otherwise I'd check ebay or find someone that got in on the MSDN through ACM and see if you can buy a key for cheap off of them.

I'd be willing to part with a key if I wasn't already using them all at home.

i have a MSDN account thru my company. so i can get windows 7 free?
can you provide details on how to do this?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-12-09 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster (Post 9768367)
i have a MSDN account thru my company. so i can get windows 7 free?
can you provide details on how to do this?

Get the link from them, since the one I have is for ACM. Then you go to Software, and if Windows 7 isn't there on the main page, it should be on the drop down list of software.

You add it to your cart then after you check out, you may need to go to My Software to view the order, but there's a link to download an ISO file and you'll also have the key in your order history.

I know some people didn't have windows 7 show up and they had to talk to the people that manage their accounts to turn it on since they hadn't done it already.

Also, the different versions of Windows 7 all work with the different keys. I have the 64 and 32 bit versions as well as versions for different languages I could get and I'm only installing the 32 bit version but the keys for all the others work just fine.

timewaster 10-13-09 11:47 AM

Thanks!
you just saved me some money.
I had no idea i have access to all this software for free with my MSDN account.

kayak99 11-18-09 05:33 PM

FYI, if you have a college student in the family have them check their campus bookstore - Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit - $15.00. I learned of this a couple weeks ago but didn't want to post it until I was certain (and scored a couple for my pc & laptop). It can be used for a full or upgrade install.

dkedvd 11-21-09 11:36 PM

Go to an Apple store and buy a MAC. Best deal on Windows you will ever get.

fumanstan 11-21-09 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by dkedvd (Post 9849050)

:down: That's stupid.

Thrush 11-22-09 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by dkedvd (Post 9849050)

I went, but all they had was overpriced underpowered machines covered in shiny plastic.

rabbit77 11-22-09 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by kayak99 (Post 9843373)
FYI, if you have a college student in the family have them check their campus bookstore - Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit - $15.00. I learned of this a couple weeks ago but didn't want to post it until I was certain (and scored a couple for my pc & laptop). It can be used for a full or upgrade install.

Thanks for the tip! My cousin will be hitting up her bookstore on Monday so I hope this works out.

chocoboy87 11-22-09 03:33 PM

Will research how 7 runs on my Samsung netbook and probably go with the university deal.

rabbit77 11-24-09 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit77 (Post 9849373)
Thanks for the tip! My cousin will be hitting up her bookstore on Monday so I hope this works out.

This is a big YMMV since her university bookstore wants $219.99 with student discount for Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit).

sniper308 11-25-09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by chocoboy87 (Post 9849989)
Will research how 7 runs on my Samsung netbook and probably go with the university deal.

Running 7 Ultimate on my Acer Netbook and all is good. I have 2 GB of RAM in it.

I generally run with set for best performance rather than best appearance, however I have from time to time turned on the bells and whistles and not noticed significant slow down.

sniper308 11-25-09 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit77 (Post 9853735)
This is a big YMMV since her university bookstore wants $219.99 with student discount for Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit).

Qualify for this deal?

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...windows-7.aspx

kayak99 11-27-09 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit77 (Post 9853735)

Yikes, that's the highest I've seen for a student.

rabbit77 12-02-09 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sniper308 (Post 9856096)

Yes she did thanks - since it was a new system build we had throw in a bootleg win xp on the HDD prior to a clean install.