Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional Upgrade $30 for College Students

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 09-18-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts

Need a .edu address for this:

Go to this website:
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/sto...isplayHomePage

You provide your .edu address. Digital River will mail login info back to you at that address. You *may* at some point be asked to confirm that you're a currently enrolled student.

This is for a licensed download of Windows 7 Home Premium for $30. For an extra $13, they'll ship you a DVD.

If you'd prefer Win 7 Professional (with Virtual XP) for the same price ($30 + $13 for the DVD) then it's a little more convoluted. You'll need to log in to the DR website using the information they email you - this will set a cookie on your computer. Then go to this website:

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/sto...ctID.161678700

The address will NOT work until after your computer has logged on with a valid student email address. It will just redirect to the W7 Home registration page if you try.

One copy per email address. Dealio good until January 2010.
Old 09-18-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional Upgrade $30 for College Students

Is this for an upgrade only, or can I fresh install with the download?
Old 09-18-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like its an upgrade only. Dang.
Old 09-18-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Confirmed - upgrade only. Essentially this is the same deal as this summer's $50 pre-order deal, only (a) it's $30; (b) you can get W7 Pro if you want; and (c) .edu domains only.

Students at many universities will likely be able to get W7 from their school's IT department for free/cheap, but a deal is a deal.
Old 09-18-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is for the Upgrade version, but a clean install is possible and pretty easy.

Instructions on how to do it are here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...alling-Windows

Look under: To install Windows by performing a custom installation

I'd cut and paste the instructions here but DVDTalk isn't letting me.

Last edited by Nifty03; 09-18-09 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 07:36 PM

Thanks for this. I thought the $49.99 pre-order I got this summer was good, but this blows that way with having Professional option for the same price.
Old 09-19-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

What versions of windows will it upgrade? Only XP?
Old 09-19-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
What versions of windows will it upgrade? Only XP?
Either XP or Vista.

Old 09-30-09, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, if I'm reading that chart right, I can't upgrade from XP and keep all my files, settings and programs intact?
Old 10-01-09, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Imail724
So, if I'm reading that chart right, I can't upgrade from XP and keep all my files, settings and programs intact?
That is true, though you can use the Windows Easy Transfer to get some of you settings moved but you would still have to reinstall programs.
Old 10-02-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's my understanding, too. Windows 7 upgrade from XP is a clean install.
Linky: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100100491.html
How to Upgrade From XP to Windows 7
Upgrading from XP will be harder than upgrading from Vista.

Lincoln Spector, PC World
PC World
Friday, October 2, 2009; 12:19 AM

You had good reason to stick with XP and skip the Vista experience entirely. But now that the folks at Microsoft have created a new operating system that's worth moving to, they haven't made the upgrade easy, because you have to perform a clean install of the OS. Here are the issues you need to be aware of, and how to handle them. Then read the main article, "How to Upgrade to Windows 7" for more information on the process.

Your hardware may not be up to the task of running Windows 7--and even if it is, your drivers won't work. Un????fortunately, a simple upgrade install is out of the question, too; Microsoft requires that you XP users do a clean install.

It's a good idea for anyone contemplating the upgrade to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first; for XP users, this step is absolutely vital.

Upgrading your motherboard's firmware also becomes more important; check your system manufacturer's Web site to see if an upgrade is available.

Check the Windows 7 Compatibility Center, which was still in its "coming soon" phase at the time of this writing. In the meantime, the Vista version of the Compatibility Center--look for a link on the page--can help, since Vista drivers work in XP, but the fit isn't perfect. Some Vista drivers download as .exe files that run exclusively in Vista.

Not all XP applications work in Vista, or in Windows 7, either. Again, the Compatibility Centers can tell you what works, what doesn't, and where you can download the necessary patches.

Windows 7's XP Mode could be the solution to your application compatibility problems. This mode runs XP in a virtual machine inside 7, although the user interface is more integrated than in most virtual machines. For instance, XP and 7 applications appear together on the same desktop.

But XP Mode may not work on your PC. It requires a CPU with virtualization capabilities. Browse to the Microsoft's page of instructions on how to find out whether your CPU has this feature and, if it does, how to turn it on. XP Mode doesn't ship with Windows 7, but it's available as a free download. It also comes with a full version of XP.

These two versions of Windows store your data files in different locations. The XP folder C:\ Documents and Settings is now C:\Users. Application Data is now the abbreviated AppData. Local Settings\Application Data is now AppData\Local. And your Music, Pictures, and Videos folders now sit be????side My Documents rather than inside it.

The Windows 7 installation program moves all of your old folders to a folder called C:\Windows.old. You may need to remember, as you try to get your new program installations together with your old data, that the Outlook.pst file that is now in C:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings\yourlogon\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook belongs in the new location C:\Users\yourlogon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.
For me, I'm leaving my XP machines alone (I'm certain none of them have the horsepower needed for Win 7). I'm only upgrading the two Vista machines on our net, which Win 7 seems to be tailored to upgrade from.