Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Old 09-08-09, 06:08 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,461
Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3
From Associated Press
September 08, 2009 12:07 AM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO - Anyone with a computer and Internet connection can be off to see "The Wizard of Oz" for free next month, courtesy of Netflix's movie-streaming service.

The free showings will be available throughout the United States for 24 hours beginning at 9 a.m. EDT Oct. 3.

It's part of a publicity stunt to draw attention to "The Wizard of Oz's" 70th anniversary. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is celebrating the occasion by selling a special edition of the movie on Blu-ray and DVD beginning Sept. 29.

Netflix's 10.6 million customers have to remember to add the movie to their queues to get the free viewing. Non-subscribers should be able to watch the movie for free on their computers by going to http://www.netflix.com/wizardofoz.


Well, its free!!! I may try it. I doubt I would watch the whole movie again since I already have it on Dvd but just to try it out.
ernestrp is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 06:46 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,778
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Originally Posted by ernestrp View Post
Netflix's 10.6 million customers have to remember to add the movie to their queues to get the free viewing.
WTH?

If you already subscribe to Netflix then you have streaming already. Hence for subscribers its not free, you already paid for it.

Unless that means if I put in my queue, Netflix gives me a bill credit for for watching it. I doubt Netflix would do that though especially since I only get a 2% credit on my bill for streaming issues.

Its a good idea to promote the Netflix Instant option for non-subscribers. Although when too many people access the movie servers, the quality is either near DVD or less than DVD quality. Let's see how this promotion goes.

Last edited by emachine12; 09-08-09 at 06:49 PM.
emachine12 is offline  
Old 09-08-09, 07:59 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,852
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
WTH?

If you already subscribe to Netflix then you have streaming already. Hence for subscribers its not free, you already paid for it.

Unless that means if I put in my queue, Netflix gives me a bill credit for for watching it. I doubt Netflix would do that though especially since I only get a 2% credit on my bill for streaming issues.
two different things. it's free for those that don't have a netflix account. if you do, you aren't getting it for free. you are paying for it already with your account.
Deftones is offline  
Old 09-09-09, 01:52 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,778
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

I know that. It just sounds weird in the news article to say that Netflix subscribers have to add it to their Instant Queue to make it free. Hence the quote from the article I used.

It would have more sense to say:

For Netflix subscribers who have not tried the Instant option, they can add The Wizard of Oz to their instant queue and enjoy it along with everyone else.

The way the article makes it sound, you are paying an additional fee for the Instant option with you subscription. And c'mon Netflix would never charge an additional fee for an advanced product.

Oh wait, I agreed to pay $3.00 more a month for Blu-ray Access.

Like I said before, its a great offer for non-subscribers and people should take advantage of it.
emachine12 is offline  
Old 09-09-09, 02:28 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Perkinsun Dzees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 2,999
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Drat. I thought this was going to be for the Fred Savage/Jenny Lewis movie.
Perkinsun Dzees is offline  
Old 09-09-09, 12:20 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 1,708
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
I know that. It just sounds weird in the news article to say that Netflix subscribers have to add it to their Instant Queue to make it free. Hence the quote from the article I used.

It would have more sense to say:

For Netflix subscribers who have not tried the Instant option, they can add The Wizard of Oz to their instant queue and enjoy it along with everyone else.

The way the article makes it sound, you are paying an additional fee for the Instant option with you subscription. And c'mon Netflix would never charge an additional fee for an advanced product.

Oh wait, I agreed to pay $3.00 more a month for Blu-ray Access.

Like I said before, its a great offer for non-subscribers and people should take advantage of it.
$3? i thought it was $2 for blue-ray access.
timewaster is offline  
Old 09-09-09, 12:49 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,778
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Depends on your price plan now what the Blu-ray Disc "premium" will be.
emachine12 is offline  
Old 09-10-09, 01:09 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,863
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Okay, I think that the point is you can stream this title. Right now The Wizard of Oz is only available as a rental through the mail.

My question would be is it going to be in HD if I stream it through my TiVo HD?
rfduncan is offline  
Old 10-02-09, 01:16 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Bump as a reminder: this will be available tomorrow.

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
My question would be is it going to be in HD if I stream it through my TiVo HD?
I just got an email from TiVo announcing it: the small print states it will be available in HD.
Chew is offline  
Old 10-04-09, 01:53 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 1,243
Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Bump as a reminder: this will be available tomorrow.



I just got an email from TiVo announcing it: the small print states it will be available in HD.
Watching in HD now. It looks great...I have no idea why I'm watching it on Netflix since I bought the BD...but it does look great!
Roybq is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.