Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 09-08-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From Associated Press
September 08, 2009 12:07 AM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO - Anyone with a computer and Internet connection can be off to see "The Wizard of Oz" for free next month, courtesy of Netflix's movie-streaming service.

The free showings will be available throughout the United States for 24 hours beginning at 9 a.m. EDT Oct. 3.

It's part of a publicity stunt to draw attention to "The Wizard of Oz's" 70th anniversary. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is celebrating the occasion by selling a special edition of the movie on Blu-ray and DVD beginning Sept. 29.

Netflix's 10.6 million customers have to remember to add the movie to their queues to get the free viewing. Non-subscribers should be able to watch the movie for free on their computers by going to http://www.netflix.com/wizardofoz.

Well, its free!!! I may try it. I doubt I would watch the whole movie again since I already have it on Dvd but just to try it out.
Old 09-08-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Off to see `The Wizard' for free on Netflix Oct. 3

Originally Posted by ernestrp View Post
Netflix's 10.6 million customers have to remember to add the movie to their queues to get the free viewing.
WTH?

If you already subscribe to Netflix then you have streaming already. Hence for subscribers its not free, you already paid for it.

Unless that means if I put in my queue, Netflix gives me a bill credit for for watching it. I doubt Netflix would do that though especially since I only get a 2% credit on my bill for streaming issues.

Its a good idea to promote the Netflix Instant option for non-subscribers. Although when too many people access the movie servers, the quality is either near DVD or less than DVD quality. Let's see how this promotion goes.

Last edited by emachine12; 09-08-09 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-08-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
WTH?

If you already subscribe to Netflix then you have streaming already. Hence for subscribers its not free, you already paid for it.

Unless that means if I put in my queue, Netflix gives me a bill credit for for watching it. I doubt Netflix would do that though especially since I only get a 2% credit on my bill for streaming issues.
two different things. it's free for those that don't have a netflix account. if you do, you aren't getting it for free. you are paying for it already with your account.
Old 09-09-09, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that. It just sounds weird in the news article to say that Netflix subscribers have to add it to their Instant Queue to make it free. Hence the quote from the article I used.

It would have more sense to say:

For Netflix subscribers who have not tried the Instant option, they can add The Wizard of Oz to their instant queue and enjoy it along with everyone else.

The way the article makes it sound, you are paying an additional fee for the Instant option with you subscription. And c'mon Netflix would never charge an additional fee for an advanced product.

Oh wait, I agreed to pay $3.00 more a month for Blu-ray Access.

Like I said before, its a great offer for non-subscribers and people should take advantage of it.
Old 09-09-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Drat. I thought this was going to be for the Fred Savage/Jenny Lewis movie.
Old 09-09-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
I know that. It just sounds weird in the news article to say that Netflix subscribers have to add it to their Instant Queue to make it free. Hence the quote from the article I used.

It would have more sense to say:

For Netflix subscribers who have not tried the Instant option, they can add The Wizard of Oz to their instant queue and enjoy it along with everyone else.

The way the article makes it sound, you are paying an additional fee for the Instant option with you subscription. And c'mon Netflix would never charge an additional fee for an advanced product.

Oh wait, I agreed to pay $3.00 more a month for Blu-ray Access.

Like I said before, its a great offer for non-subscribers and people should take advantage of it.
$3? i thought it was $2 for blue-ray access.
Old 09-09-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on your price plan now what the Blu-ray Disc "premium" will be.
Old 09-10-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, I think that the point is you can stream this title. Right now The Wizard of Oz is only available as a rental through the mail.

My question would be is it going to be in HD if I stream it through my TiVo HD?
Old 10-02-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump as a reminder: this will be available tomorrow.

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
My question would be is it going to be in HD if I stream it through my TiVo HD?
I just got an email from TiVo announcing it: the small print states it will be available in HD.
Old 10-04-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Bump as a reminder: this will be available tomorrow.

I just got an email from TiVo announcing it: the small print states it will be available in HD.
Watching in HD now. It looks great...I have no idea why I'm watching it on Netflix since I bought the BD...but it does look great!