Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Going-out-of-business sale #1-KB Toys

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I think we are going to see alot of retail stores closing in the next few years.
I'll try to keep the list updated.

Also post if you think its a good sale or bad sale prices if you go to the sale.
thanks Joe

nearest store to me is over 40 miles away,so I might pass on this sale.Unless I head up to Fry's tomorrow.

http://locator.mykbtoysstore.com/StoreLocator.htm

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...22/daily6.html

As the end of the holiday shopping season closes in, KB Toys has launched a going-out-of-business sale for all 461 of its KB Toys, KB Toy Outlet, KB Toy Works and KB Toys Holiday Stores.

The 86-year-old Pittsfield, Mass.-based toy retailer on Dec. 11 filed Chapter 11 federal bankruptcy protection for the second time in three years. Although it was able to re-emerge after closing half its stores in 2005, there will be no re-emerging this time.

A news release from the company stated: “Despite the success that KB Toys had over the last year in improving the retail, wholesale and operational areas of its business, the downturn in consumer spending compounded by a tightening of credit sources have necessitated the closing of all its stores.”

The going-out-of-business savings will start at 40 percent off regular prices. Gordon Brothers Group , a global advisory, restructuring and investment firm specializing in the retail, consumer products, real estate and industrial sectors, and Great American Group , a provider of asset management, disposition and financial services, are assisting KB Toys in running the final sale.

KB has four stores in Hawaii in Kahala and Windward malls on Oahu, Prince Kuhio Plaza in Hilo and Queen Kaahumanu Center in Kahului.

KB closed three Hawaii stores in December 2007.

The company expects to close its doors in the U.S., Guam and Puerto Rico by early February.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 12-22-08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...toys-done.html
Old 12-22-08, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I loved that store when I was a kid. There are just too many [cheaper and larger] options now...
Old 12-22-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Part of the problem for me with KB Toys was that they were always in malls. This meant that not only did I have to endure the hassle of going to (and through) the mall to shop there, but they had mall rent to pay (which translated into higher prices than I had to pay at, say, Target or Walmart). Back in the 90s during my action figure collecting hey day, they had some nice exclusives, especially on Playmates Toys's Star Trek line. Sad to see any business go, especially one I used to frequent, but I understand why they were a hard lure for consumers. And, since today's kids only seem to want to play video games and have drug-riddled orgies, it's hard to sell toys in the first place.
Old 12-22-08, 07:51 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a KB Toys outlet not far, awesome place to get cheap stuff. We has a KB Toy Works in town, but that closed a few years ago. Also nice place with cheap priced stuff. Always found something at those two stores. However when I went to the mall ones, I never found a thing. Heck it was hard to get in them. Stuff was all over the floors.