Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

$50.00 off a $51.00 or more purchase at BUY.COM

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

$50.00 off a $51.00 or more purchase at BUY.COM

Old 03-16-08, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an FYI ( I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I apologize ahead of time if I missed it ) this does not apply to buy.com marketplace items. No problem, though, just click on the item & to the right you'll see a list of other prices, buy.com usually at the top. Just click on the buy.com add to card button.

Alrighty, here's what I ordered :

Amy Bento All Pump XTreme Workout (DVD) $16.88
Amy Bento Hi Lo XTreme Workout (DVD) $16.88
Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie ( Hardcover Book ) $7.47
10 Minute Solution Fitness Ball Workouts (DVD) $12.62

Total before coupon : $53.85
$50 Revolution Card Discount -$50
Budget Shipping - Free
Total $3.85

I'll pay that off right away & close the account.
Old 03-16-08, 04:25 PM
Cool New Member

Another FYI that I am sure everyone has heard before, but applying for the card or account or whatever it is in this case is a hit to your credit score by a few points and then closing out an account also hurts your score by a few points. None of which probably matters too much unless you are applying for a large loan for a car or house in the near future. By near future, I mean next couple of years. If you are it will cause you to have a higher interest rate and that will cost you far more than the $50 saved. Also, I have heard that it is better if you open an account like this just to get a discount, to pay off the balance immediately, cut up the card and just leave the account open but dont use it.

All that said, I will probably now go and do that deal.
Old 03-16-08, 06:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tedbrogen
Another FYI that I am sure everyone has heard before, but applying for the card or account or whatever it is in this case is a hit to your credit score by a few points and then closing out an account also hurts your score by a few points. None of which probably matters too much unless you are applying for a large loan for a car or house in the near future. By near future, I mean next couple of years. If you are it will cause you to have a higher interest rate and that will cost you far more than the $50 saved. Also, I have heard that it is better if you open an account like this just to get a discount, to pay off the balance immediately, cut up the card and just leave the account open but dont use it.

All that said, I will probably now go and do that deal.
I used to work for a collection agency & none of that is *exactly* true. It's true in some cases, but the last thing you said is specifically untrue. If you leave open an unsecured line of credit & don't use it, you'll likely forget you have it & when you go to apply for a loan it looks like *potential* debt, even though you owe nothing. If your Revolution account, for instance, has a $1500 credit limit that is a potential unsecured debt of $1500. So, if you are not going to use the account, close it right away after you pay it off.

If you make a habit of signing up for cards to get discounts, yes, it will not only appear as several hits to your credit score just with the inquiries, but again, you've got open several accounts now of potential debt via unsecured credit. If you open one or 2 accounts, it's not gonna hurt you. I don't do the Target store offers, for instance, of 10% off your purchase if you open an account or a $30 Amazon GC for opening a credit card account with them, etc... This Revolution card is only my 2nd credit card & it will be closed right away. My 1st one is a MyPoints Visa, which I use all the time & is my only personal card. For our household we have another one, a Circuit City Visa, but my husband uses that one mostly. The MyPoints Visa & the Circuit City Visa we get rewards, or points to be used towards rewards. The only other debts we have are for our car & our house.
Our credit would be shit if we opened up a card every time something was offered, so yes you are half right by saying it can ding your credit opening something like this. It will if you make a habit of it. If it's only a very occasional thing, it won't be a problem. Be sure to close the account if you won't use it.
Old 03-16-08, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by darkside
My APR came out at 16% so it depends on credit. I'm not keeping this one though. I'll pay off the $8.99 and cancel it.
My APR was 1.9%, but other fees such as cash advances & late fees went as high as 26% !!! Wow. My credit is really good, though. About as high a credit rating as you can get.
Old 03-17-08, 10:11 AM
Cool New Member

I had been told by someone I know that works for a credit card company, that your credit score takes a hit when you close an account as well. So, really you are getting hurt whether you leave the account open or close it immediately. I have no idea which one would hurt you greater.
Also, I was under the impression that an open account that you arent using would lower your credit ratio (amount you owe divided by amount you have in credit lines) and a lower credit ratio somehow helps your credit score. Although I see your point about the open credit line being potential debt via unsecured credit.
Old 03-17-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got me a free pre-order for MarioKart Wii. Excitement!
Old 03-19-08, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by fitlissa76
My APR was 1.9%, but other fees such as cash advances & late fees went as high as 26% !!! Wow. My credit is really good, though. About as high a credit rating as you can get.
Sorry to disagree with u but no such interest rate @ 1.9% your reading it wrong.
Lowest with best credit rating 750-850 is 12%, then 16%, 18% etc etc.
You read the calculating line which is not your interest rate.
Lowest anyone can get depending on their rating is apprx. 5% and not with RevolutionCard.

Last edited by Barry; 03-19-08 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-20-08, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Barry
Sorry to disagree with u but no such interest rate @ 1.9% your reading it wrong.
Lowest with best credit rating 750-850 is 12%, then 16%, 18% etc etc.
You read the calculating line which is not your interest rate.
Lowest anyone can get depending on their rating is apprx. 5% and not with RevolutionCard.
Not that it matters, since I'm paying it off & closing it anyway, but I got the paperwork today (boy, that was FAST !) & it says 1.9%APR through October 2008. After that it goes up to 13.9%.
Old 03-20-08, 07:13 PM

Bump to remind everyone who has not used his/her credit yet that the offer expires on 3/21...

Also, for those in the market for an inexpensive and pretty good digital camera, buy.com is offering the Kodak 7.1 MP Easyshare ZD710 for $149.99 with free shipping. It has 10x Optical Zoom and Digital Image Stabilization. Price is only $99.99 after the $50 off from revolution card. Buy.com says it retails for $299.99, but I think they are overreaching abit and the actual retail price is more like $250.

The reviews are good, but not stellar. However, I think it's a pretty good deal for inexperienced users (like myself) or those who want a point and click camera that will give good results (also like myself).

Linky - http://www.buy.com/prod/kodak-7-1-mp...207656456.html
Old 03-20-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by magicmanej
Bump to remind everyone who has not used his/her credit yet that the offer expires on 3/21...
Meaning both the credit as well as the signup promotion expires? I've tried asking both Buy.com and Revolution Card but their customer service is lacking and just repeats the same non-answer (ie. contact the other).
Old 03-20-08, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
Meaning both the credit as well as the signup promotion expires? I've tried asking both Buy.com and Revolution Card but their customer service is lacking and just repeats the same non-answer (ie. contact the other).
I'm not sure - I signed up for the card sometime in February (around the time I first saw this thread) and proceeded to procrastinate on using the credit. According to the terms I signed up under, the credit expires on 3/21/08. I'm not sure if that applies to someone who signed up later.

But when I click on the offer banner on buy.com's website (see http://www.buy.com/corp/revolution_offer.asp ), it says that the 50 off 51 promotion expires on 3/21. I would think it applies to both the offer and the credit, but again, I'm not 100% positive. If you have already signed up for the card and haven't used the credit, I'd use it tonight just to be safe.

EDIT - Spoke with someone at buy.com b/c there was a problem with my order. He told me that the $50 off $51 Promotion has been extended and now ends on 4/30/08. This extension applies to both new and existing accounts.

Last edited by magicmanej; 03-21-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 08:02 AM

do any of you know if the $50 off can be combined with the $20 google checkout?