Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 4)

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

One & Only BMG Music Service Thread (Part 4)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Dave
I do hope you are kidding.

Just in case. You are only supposed to have a digital copy of a song if you in fact own the physical CD. That is unless you purchase a digital version (ala iTunes) or the file itself was made free by the artist and/or label.

The minute you no longer own the physical CD is the moment you no longer retain the right to have that digital file. The same can be said of simply burning a copy of the disc.

Of course, many people still do and pretty much nobody will ever actually have anything done to them. However, broadcasting the fact you are doing that is probably not the smartest thing to do.
I've never seen any law that explicity states doing buy > rip > sell is illegal. Regardless of whether or not you think it's moral, can you cite an explicit law?
Old 12-18-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Funk
I've never seen any law that explicity states doing buy > rip > sell is illegal. Regardless of whether or not you think it's moral, can you cite an explicit law?
I don't know any law as I am certainly no expert in legal issues. A quick glance at google reveals that at best it is murky on both sides of the issues and there has yet to be any court decision one way or another (as I would guess is the case in most instances of the issues in the debate). It seems to all revolve around what fair use rights you have when you no longer own the physical disc. So I suppose it in the strictest terms it is not illegal, at least at this point.
Old 12-18-07, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dave
I don't know any law as I am certainly no expert in legal issues. A quick glance at google reveals that at best it is murky on both sides of the issues and there has yet to be any court decision one way or another (as I would guess is the case in most instances of the issues in the debate). It seems to all revolve around what fair use rights you have when you no longer own the physical disc. So I suppose it in the strictest terms it is not illegal, at least at this point.
That's basically what I've read / heard too. Kinda strange, IMO.
Old 12-20-07, 01:50 AM

Okay, random question, but I would love to [re] join BMG and I haven't seen anything covering this (I emailed "tech support" but we all know BMG customer service blows when you're a member, so I can't imagine it's any better for non members)...

What's the deal with "member's only" CDs? Can they only be purchased for full price? Can they be used as "free"/discount selections once you're a member? I want to join, but there are at least 4 or 5 CDs I want to get that are members only, and if I can eventually get them (without having to pay full price) then great, but if I can only get one (the CD I buy to fulfill membership requirements) that's not so hot.

Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks so much!
Old 12-20-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the deal with "member's only" CDs?
Basically, they are only available to members.

Can they only be purchased for full price?
Yes.

Can they be used as "free"/discount selections once you're a member?
No.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-20-07, 10:38 AM

here are a couple of new ones...

50% Off CDs, When You Buy 1
D7A1

5 CDs for the Price of 1
D7A2, 3

------------------

$3.99 CDs
D7S1, 2
Old 12-21-07, 08:14 AM

Happy New Year! New codes for January already...

5 CDs for the Price of 1
J8C1, 2

--------------

75% Off CDs
J8X1, 2
Old 12-30-07, 01:56 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Basically, they are only available to members.
Yes.
No.
Hope that helps!
You are confusing "members only" titles with "premium titles." "Members only" titles are CDs only members can order but are fully included in any sales and are available as free/bonus selections. "Premium Titles," on the other hand, sound like what you are referring to. Premium Titles are a selection of high-demand titles that are not regular BMG-stamped discs and are available only to members at full price with no option for discount.

Current examples of both: A "members only" title is 50 Cent's "Curtis" album (#1718048); I can add this to my cart as a member and even apply a free CD credit to it. Mary J. Blige's "Growing Pains" (#1655109) is available as a "Premium Title" and has to be prepaid with no discounts.

I know this comes about a week and a half late for the original person who asked the question but I'm an infrequent reader. Sorry!
Old 12-30-07, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by frogmore
You are confusing "members only" titles with "premium titles." "Members only" titles are CDs only members can order but are fully included in any sales and are available as free/bonus selections. "Premium Titles," on the other hand, sound like what you are referring to. Premium Titles are a selection of high-demand titles that are not regular BMG-stamped discs and are available only to members at full price with no option for discount.

Current examples of both: A "members only" title is 50 Cent's "Curtis" album (#1718048); I can add this to my cart as a member and even apply a free CD credit to it. Mary J. Blige's "Growing Pains" (#1655109) is available as a "Premium Title" and has to be prepaid with no discounts.

Here's what I was a bit confused on: Can a "Premium Title" be counted as a fulfillment item? If so, several of the ones I see are $13.98 - under the $14.98 requirement for a fulfillment purchase. Any tricks?
Old 12-31-07, 01:56 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
Here's what I was a bit confused on: Can a "Premium Title" be counted as a fulfillment item? If so, several of the ones I see are $13.98 - under the $14.98 requirement for a fulfillment purchase. Any tricks?
Yes, a premium title may be used as a fulfillment item. However, I've never attempted to purchase one that was priced below the $14.98 requirement so I don't know if the $13.98 and below ones will count. Anyone else know?
Old 01-02-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Only if they are at or above the $14.98 minimum. However, you're better off fulfilling with a B1G4 code.
Old 01-02-08, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Only if they are at or above the $14.98 minimum. However, you're better off fulfilling with a B1G4 code.
Oh I know that - I just wanted to use a Premium Title as my Buy 1. However, since all the other's would around $18.98 regular price, the Premium Title will never be the 1. Oh well, I'll just wait for the Robert Plant / Alison Krauss CD to go on sale at B&M or become a regular title at BMG.
Old 01-04-08, 10:55 AM

$6.99 CDs, Plus Free Shipping!
J8X3, 4
Old 01-07-08, 11:48 AM

They snuck these in on me by skipping a bunch of numbers...

J8C9, 15

Buy 1, Get 2 Free
J8C11

Buy 1, Get 4 Free
J8C12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19

$3.99 CDs
J8C13
Old 01-08-08, 11:31 AM

J8C21, 26

Buy 1, Get 2 Free
J8C22

Buy 1, Get 4 Free
J8C23, 25, 27, 28

$3.99 CDs
J8C24
Old 01-09-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh well, I'll just wait for the Robert Plant / Alison Krauss CD to go on sale at B&M or become a regular title at BMG.
Are they finally carrying that title now? I rarely see anything I want on there any more. B&M stores carry popular titles at $9.99 during release week so I pick them up then instead of waiting for BMG to carry it and then have it on sale as a non-Premium title.

Maybe I should just cancel it.
Old 01-10-08, 12:39 PM

J8A1

5 CDs for the Price of 1
J8A2, 3
Old 01-11-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Oh well, I'll just wait for the Robert Plant / Alison Krauss CD to go on sale at B&M or become a regular title at BMG.
You'll be old and grey by then. I've *never* seen a "Premium Title" become a regular title.
Old 01-12-08, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You'll be old and grey by then. I've *never* seen a "Premium Title" become a regular title.
Really - Never knew that. Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and buy the damn album already.
Old 01-12-08, 10:14 AM

Gwen Stefani's second solo cd was a premium title and then became a regular selection this past summer.
Old 01-13-08, 11:43 AM

does anyone have a "strategy" to get the most bang for your buck for people thinking about joining bmg?
Old 01-13-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor X
Gwen Stefani's second solo cd was a premium title and then became a regular selection this past summer.
I believe My Chemical Romance's Black Parade was also a premium title that became a regular selection. It takes a while for some to make the switch but it does happen.
Old 01-13-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mastodon's Blood Mountain also changed status.

And awlez18, that information is available in this thread. Seven pages isn't too much to sift through.
Old 01-14-08, 08:40 AM

best start-up strategy

Originally Posted by awlez18
does anyone have a "strategy" to get the most bang for your buck for people thinking about joining bmg?

use the get 15/1 sign-up deal. you can find it by checking back through postings for the code or ask one of the frequently posting bmg wizards. after you fulfill, do it again with an new account. as long as you can make your picks 15 at a time it is probably the best deal. just don't start re-ordering the same titles as you will be pegged as a potential (unauthorized) reseller and be banished from the bmg kingdom. i have used this club and yourmusic.com to build a super collection of classical cds.
Old 01-14-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey look (from the 2nd post in the thread!)

http://www.bmgmusic.com/bmgfreecds

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.