Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter 7...best B&M deal?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Harry Potter 7...best B&M deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by gkleinman
I broke down and ordered it through amazon, with the $5 GC and the chance that they might miss release date (and I'd get it free) I thought it was worth the gamble.
I've gotten the last two HP books via Amazon, and they both arrived on release day. I think for most of us, this is one of those books where getting it on release day > getting it at the best price. Not to say that Amazon's price on this isn't pretty good.
Old 07-16-07, 12:39 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always picked it up at Target the day it was released in the middle of the afternoon. Target, for book 5 was quite hilarious. When the store opened at its normal time, I happened to be there for other things and was planning on picking up a book if they had them in.

Some mother and her kids ran to the part of the store with books, etc saying "come on, they are going to run out if we don't hurry." I laughed and walked there after picking up the other things I needed. They had at least 100 copies sitting there all ready to pick up.

This year, I "pre-ordered" from Target. They had this deal where if you put $10 down on the book, you got a cool little bookmark. So, when I pick up the book this weekend, I just use the $10 gift card I have in my wallet and I pick up the book for the remaining balance due.
Old 07-16-07, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any word on how much costco will sell it for?
Old 07-16-07, 08:59 PM

Costco = $18.49 linky

Last edited by pmreed; 07-16-07 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 07-16-07, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by pmreed
Costco = $18.49
Thanks. Guess I'll go for Amazon then.
Old 07-17-07, 12:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Books-a-million had a deal where it was the "low" price, like $18, and you got a booklight for free. Not sure if it is still active.
Old 07-17-07, 08:15 AM

Location: Sacremende (by way of the worst place on Earth: cincinnati, ky)
Originally Posted by JohnDoeUSA
Just that my center manager told me that the extra work is for the Harry Potter books. Don't know if it is a National agreement or not but I will say that my district is run out of OKC. I would assume that this is a National Agreement with Amazon but don't quote me on that either.

If I find out anything concrete then I will post it.
Do you happen to know if UPS is requiring a signature on delivery of the book?

Edit: Nevermind. I guess Amazon isn't requiring a signature, but doesn't guarantee the carrier will drop off the book if no one is there to receive it.

Last edited by wetsprockets; 07-17-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 09:38 AM
Banned

Here in New England the local Walmarts ALWAYS have the best price for the new Harry Potter books, I am talking they always sell them UNDER cost on the first on sale date (which is 7/21 for the 7th book), just remember stores pay about 50% of cover price, so if you see the book for sale under 1/2 off that is cheap as the store is not making any money on the book (they want you in the store to spend money on other things)..Hope this helps....Can't wait until Friday/Saturday at Midnight!
Old 07-17-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Does anybody know if this will be the same for Amazon.co.uk that is shipping overseas?
No, the guaranteed release-date delivery only applies to UK addresses if you order from the UK store. I order HBP from amazon UK and it came within the week after the release date last year.
Old 07-17-07, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Here in New England the local Walmarts ALWAYS have the best price for the new Harry Potter books, I am talking they always sell them UNDER cost on the first on sale date (which is 7/21 for the 7th book), just remember stores pay about 50% of cover price, so if you see the book for sale under 1/2 off that is cheap as the store is not making any money on the book (they want you in the store to spend money on other things)..Hope this helps....Can't wait until Friday/Saturday at Midnight!
yea, here at the so. cal wal-marts, book 6 was $15.87 on release day, i believe. and most wal-marts are opening at/til midnight so u can get it right away, if i'm not mistaken. so i plan on being there to get one.
Old 07-17-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cornyt
Thanks. Guess I'll go for Amazon then.
FWIW, I believe you've missed Amazon's guaranteed 7/21 delivery cutoff.
Old 07-17-07, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by wetsprockets
Do you happen to know if UPS is requiring a signature on delivery of the book?

Edit: Nevermind. I guess Amazon isn't requiring a signature, but doesn't guarantee the carrier will drop off the book if no one is there to receive it.
Well, here is what I was told.

I was told that the packages are from Amazon.

All packages are going to be in our center on Friday. All rural routes and small towns will be delivered on Friday! I actually could not believe that but that is what I was told. It does make sense not to drive 2 or 3 hundred miles on Saturday to deliver 10 or so packages that could be delivered on friday by a package car already in the area. Please discuss and argue now!

All packages that are for inside our city limits will be delivered on Saturday. All packages will be DR (driver released without signatures). I was told that even apartments would be driver released.

All packages will be ground not Saturday Next Day Air or Saturday Second Day Air.

Not that anybody but UPS workers would care but this "extra" work is being handled by regular Full Time Drivers and not "air" drivers. Infact all Saturday Air packages will be delivered by normal part time "air" drivers. The difference in pay will be $10 to $17 for "air" drivers depending on years of service for the employee and $41 an hour for Full time drivers at time and a half! Really strange that the company did not try to go around the union and use "air" drivers.
Old 07-18-07, 05:10 AM
Banned

Well, here is what I was told.

I was told that the packages are from Amazon.

All packages are going to be in our center on Friday. All rural routes and small towns will be delivered on Friday! I actually could not believe that but that is what I was told. It does make sense not to drive 2 or 3 hundred miles on Saturday to deliver 10 or so packages that could be delivered on friday by a package car already in the area. Please discuss and argue now!

All packages that are for inside our city limits will be delivered on Saturday. All packages will be DR (driver released without signatures). I was told that even apartments would be driver released.

All packages will be ground not Saturday Next Day Air or Saturday Second Day Air.

Not that anybody but UPS workers would care but this "extra" work is being handled by regular Full Time Drivers and not "air" drivers. Infact all Saturday Air packages will be delivered by normal part time "air" drivers. The difference in pay will be $10 to $17 for "air" drivers depending on years of service for the employee and $41 an hour for Full time drivers at time and a half! Really strange that the company did not try to go around the union and use "air" drivers.
Are you sure about that Friday delivery? I am pretty sure that is not legal for UPS to do, even if it makes life easier for UPS. I thought the rule was the book was not to released until Saturday no exceptions. If what you say is true anyone who got their book on Friday could post spoilers online before most people got their books on Saturday. Somehow I don't think Friday deliveries are going to happen, no matter how much money UPS would save...
Old 07-18-07, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Are you sure about that Friday delivery? I am pretty sure that is not legal for UPS to do, even if it makes life easier for UPS. I thought the rule was the book was not to released until Saturday no exceptions. If what you say is true anyone who got their book on Friday could post spoilers online before most people got their books on Saturday. Somehow I don't think Friday deliveries are going to happen, no matter how much money UPS would save...
I agree 100% with you. However, I am only posting what I was told. We will see what happens but I would not be surprised if UPS holds those packages for Monday! I am pretty sure UPS will not deliver rural routes on Saturday and lose a ton of money doing so!
Old 07-18-07, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by pmreed
Costco = $18.49 linky
Costco's online price is now $18.19. I wouldn't be surprised if, come Saturday, Costco isn't selling this for under $18 in their stores. The "costco.com" price doesn't always accurately reflect their store price, and I think they'll maybe price these below Target's sale price, but we shall see.
Old 07-18-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought a copy for my wife from Amazon b/c it was too good to pass up at $17.99 less $5. I plan on hitting my local store at 6am when they open on Saturday to buy my copy.
Old 07-18-07, 08:43 AM
Banned

I agree 100% with you. However, I am only posting what I was told. We will see what happens but I would not be surprised if UPS holds those packages for Monday! I am pretty sure UPS will not deliver rural routes on Saturday and lose a ton of money doing so!
If UPS is contracted by Amazon to deliver those books to people on Saturday (I am one of them, I got the deluxe edition coming Saturday) then they better deliver them on time. If I am not mistaken Amazon has guaranteed people who ordered in advance they would get their books on Saturday, I am sure UPS knows what a guarantee means so I don't think money is an issue with UPS with this huge release....
Old 07-18-07, 09:40 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

My guess is that pre-orders will start arriving Friday. In my experience guaranteed delivery orders usually arrive a day early.
Old 07-18-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No way. They won't even ship until Friday. There's too many embargoes and security contracts to get it into the consumer's hands any earlier than 12:01 am on 7/21/2007.
Old 07-18-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am pretty sure UPS will not deliver rural routes on Saturday and lose a ton of money doing so!
It's my understanding that Amazon has specially contracted with both UPS and USPS for the Saturday delivery, meaning they are paying special rates to insure that the couriers deliver these on the correct day. It seems that when making the deal with Amazon, UPS would have taken the RR into account and figured them into the price. I don't think UPS is going to be losing money on this.

Originally Posted by pinata242
No way. They won't even ship until Friday. There's too many embargoes and security contracts to get it into the consumer's hands any earlier than 12:01 am on 7/21/2007.
Except they're all ready in stores and in the midst of shipping at this point, so there is no guarantee on anything. I'm not sure what you mean by embargoes, but the security contracts aren't worth much. Copies are already slipping into people's hands at this point.
Old 07-18-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought we were talking about Amazon shipping via UPS and/or USPS.
Old 07-18-07, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by renaldow
It's my understanding that Amazon has specially contracted with both UPS and USPS for the Saturday delivery, meaning they are paying special rates to insure that the couriers deliver these on the correct day. It seems that when making the deal with Amazon, UPS would have taken the RR into account and figured them into the price. I don't think UPS is going to be losing money on this.

Except they're all ready in stores and in the midst of shipping at this point, so there is no guarantee on anything. I'm not sure what you mean by embargoes, but the security contracts aren't worth much. Copies are already slipping into people's hands at this point.
I have to agree here. I have seen a few people post scans of the table of contents on the book, I guess there are spoilers there. So it is obvious some people have the book in hand already. So anything is possible....
Old 07-18-07, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
I thought we were talking about Amazon shipping via UPS and/or USPS.
We are talking about Amazon, someone said UPS won't deliver to rural areas this Saturday, which means Amazon's guarantee is in jeopardy. Personally I think Amazon's books will be delivered on Saturday, not Friday not Sunday but Saturday....
Old 07-18-07, 04:41 PM

I'm definitely on a rural route. Friday would work for me!! Saturday's OK too. Monday even works, because it'll be free. I'm avoiding any site that might have spoilers, and I'll just skip the news for a day or two if I have to.

Phil
Old 07-18-07, 05:06 PM

Just received this from Amazon:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you would like to know that we are preparing your items for
shipment.

You can view the status of this order, and all your orders, online by
visiting Your Account at XXXXXXXXXXXX

There you can:
* View the status of unshipped items
* Cancel unshipped items
* Return items
* And do much more
The following items are being prepared for shipment by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipping Subtotal
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) :
1 Harry Potter and the Death... $17.99 1 $17.99

Item Subtotal: $17.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Total: $17.99

This shipment will be sent to:

MEMEMEME

via UPS

Amazon will be far cheaper for me than any B&M; The closest store where I could buy this is 15 miles away...one way!! And no sales tax thank you very much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.