DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Hot Deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals-2/)
-   -   Axion 7" Portable DVD Player for $25 - 8am PST 12/3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/485459-axion-7-portable-dvd-player-%2425-8am-pst-12-3-a.html)

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 12-03-06 09:22 AM

Axion 7" Portable DVD Player for $25 - 8am PST 12/3

Similar to the recent x-box deal, amazon has 1000 portable dvd players for $25, starting today, 12/3, at 8 AM PST. It will most likely run out quick.

YMMV

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/...V36081168_.jpg

http://promotions.amazon.com/gp/holiday/cv/homepage

Please also note Amazon's comment:

In order to give every customer a fair chance at these deals, we must control the dramatic influx of site traffic and prevent automated scripts from accessing our servers.

Excessive reloading may prevent you from accessing the Amazon.com website. Amazon.com may refuse connections for some time from computers that attempt to reload the Amazon Customers Vote page more than twice per minute.

DVDMagic 12-03-06 09:42 AM

gonna give this one and also the cordless b&d drill they have for $20 a shot and see what happens

Harold Wazzu 12-03-06 09:44 AM

Are you guys going to add it to your cart before-hand and then try to check out?

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 12-03-06 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
Are you guys going to add it to your cart before-hand and then try to check out?

you can't do that. you must load it on the CV homepage on of after 8 AM PST

TGM 12-03-06 10:01 AM

that was a fucking joke

Harold Wazzu 12-03-06 10:01 AM

5 freakin seconds it sold out!!!!!!!!

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 12-03-06 10:02 AM

bah. sold out already.

TimeandTide 12-03-06 10:03 AM

Actually got to a screen that prompted me to type in the word "solo," then read on the next page that the site was exp. heavy traffic or something and it re-directed me back to the original page. ARGH!

zuffy 12-03-06 10:03 AM

FUCK!!!!!!! I got the code, type it in and it's fucking sold out!

Jimmy James 12-03-06 10:04 AM

Yep, that sucked to be sure. What exactly is Amazon thinking with these deals? I just don't see how this is successfully driving traffic to their site and leaving their potential customers with a positive impression. If this weren't a season when they already have plenty of traffic, it would make more sense to me.

Oh well. Congrats to those who hit this lottery.

DVDMagic 12-03-06 10:05 AM

ah well...I had the main page up thinking I could reloead it and the price would change, not realising that you had to go thru the actual CV home page.

I did get a chance with the drill at $49.99, but opted against it and deleted it from my cart to give someone else a chance.

TheNightFlier 12-03-06 10:09 AM

Same thing happened to me as with the XBOX. Got to the page where you type in the security question, this time it was type "t" 4 times. Then got the sold out message. Oh well.

TGM 12-03-06 10:11 AM

quick search on the web leads to this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5376125
$49.87

never heard of "Venturer", but I ain't never heard of "Axion" either.

fuck Amazon.com and their games.

TGM 12-03-06 10:12 AM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5376125

TGM 12-03-06 10:12 AM

[link]http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5376125[/link]

TGM 12-03-06 10:13 AM

walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5376125

why can't I send a link on this beeotch? anyway.. w w w dot then the above

Jericho 12-03-06 10:23 AM

I had an experience like most. I missed the Thanksgiving sale, so I wasn't sure what exactly I was supposed to do. Got to the code page, but no farther. But I decided to go back and get the drill for $20, which was no problem. I can't complain, I knew it would be like this. It's funny reading the posts of people getting angry over at Amazon.com. It's basically a lottery, yet so many people feel entitled to merchandise.

forumsmy 12-03-06 10:45 AM

Well, I tried for the player too and got to the type in security word, then the "High Volume" page, tried again and then it was sold out.

So I went for the Toys/Games and Amazon Prime. Break even on the toy cert and paid $20 for Prime otherwise $80, and I can invite another household member to be on it too. Figrured good enough, not as good as if it was $40, if it won the vote.

Not a bad consolation prize, IMHO.

Maybe if they have it again, I can get it or go with the Wal-Mart or another one. Thanks for that suggestion TallGuyMe.

Jim 12-03-06 10:57 AM

Did Amazon give up on this promotion? I don't see anything about a vote for next week. I wouldn't be surprised if they did considering the negative feedback it seems to have generated and hosing up their site around the time of the lotto.

zuffy 12-03-06 11:06 AM

Round 3 is up for vote. They have the Sylvania 6626LG 26" LCD HDTV for $200.

Jimmy James 12-03-06 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
Did Amazon give up on this promotion? I don't see anything about a vote for next week. I wouldn't be surprised if they did considering the negative feedback it seems to have generated and hosing up their site around the time of the lotto.

Next week is already up. What's funny is that the likely winner (if you ask me) is a 26" LCD TV for $200 that they're only going to have 500 of. The other options are the prime/cert option, an elliptical machine, and a tent. I'd be shocked if this were more than a 2 horse race.

Note these changes:

Originally Posted by Amazon
Due to the incredible volume of traffic stemming from the popularity of this feature, we have made some changes to Amazon Customers Vote:

* You are eligible to buy only the deal that you voted for.
* You need an authorized credit card on your account.
* There is no more race to buy: the claim codes will be distributed only to randomly selected customers.

zuffy 12-03-06 11:08 AM

Actually, I like the new changes.

Jimmy James 12-03-06 11:10 AM

Now it's time to tell my parents and the other people I know wouldn't show up at a set time about this so I increase my pot odds. :)

Of course, I imagine everybody will do that. At least if I do it, my odds might stay the same.

Jim 12-03-06 11:17 AM

I see the next week's vote now. I too like the changes they have made to the promotion.

Jericho 12-03-06 11:18 AM

I wonder if they still have runner-up prices. Yeah, I'd love to get the LCD TV, but I wouldn't mind the prime + GC either. This probably hurts my chances of getting anything, as I seem to be unlucky in getting picked for anything. Plus just showing up to the deals usually at least gave you a shot at the runner-up goods. And I'm sure there will be WAY more people voting that those who just show up at a specific time. The odds just got worse I think. I'd rather just take my shot at getting lucky. I'm not a fan of the new changes.

Jim 12-03-06 11:18 AM

The Mongoose bike for $60 is back up for sale on the Customers Vote page if anyone is interested.

SunMonkey 12-03-06 11:25 AM

It would be nice if there a chance for the non-electronics offer to win.

FYI, some of week one's runner-up offers are available again.

Jimmy James 12-03-06 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
It would be nice if there a chance for the non-electronics offer to win.

FYI, some of week one's runner-up offers are available again.

They'd have to offer much worse electronics offers to overcome the bias inherent in doing this on the Internet during a year where it appears electronics is king. Honestly, I'm not sure what they're thinking with the quantities and pricing. If they're taking a $50,000 loss on the TVs (just go with it), I'd think it would be better to spread that over more units given the demand. The price wouldn't be as good, but more people would be satisfied. I understand that you'd run the risk that this wouldn't seem special, but I think there is probably room to water down the deal and still make it special.

Jericho 12-03-06 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
The Mongoose bike for $60 is back up for sale on the Customers Vote page if anyone is interested.

Actually if you checkout, it will give an additional $10 off for $50 shipped. Apparently there's some other deal that it qualifies for.

A-aron 12-03-06 01:46 PM

is that gone? I don't see it?

Emma311 12-03-06 02:00 PM

I was all ready this morning, waiting to try to get the dvd player & it turns out I hadn't noticed it was PST, I'm EST. Oh well, doubt I'd have gotten one anyway.

Blake 12-03-06 04:21 PM

What a joke. At least the pages loaded, though they were "site too busy" type pages. I made it all the way to the box asking me to type "kayak" backwards, but after I submitted that, they were gone. Close, but no cigar.

I'd like the Prime membership to be cheaper, but I don't know what I'd spend $100 in the toys shop on since video games aren't there :)

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 12-03-06 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blake
What a joke. At least the pages loaded, though they were "site too busy" type pages. I made it all the way to the box asking me to type "kayak" backwards, but after I submitted that, they were gone. Close, but no cigar.

i go to that page too...mine was "civic"

Aphex Twin 12-03-06 05:32 PM

Did anyone curse out loud after discovering that they were unable to complete the purchase?

Harold Wazzu 12-03-06 05:34 PM

500 tvs??? that'll be gone in 2 seconds instead of 5 seconds for the dvd player.

The only thing I do like is the random code distribution...still I refuse to try for anything ever again

GetrDone 12-04-06 04:09 AM

my word was deed, and I also got the chitty site busy page after typing it in. I already have a portable dvd player but I really wanted to pick this one up as a christmas gift for my brother and I did curse aloud afterwards

paull 12-04-06 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blake

I'd like the Prime membership to be cheaper, but I don't know what I'd spend $100 in the toys shop on since video games aren't there :)

I was lucky enough to get the Prime one with the toys gift certificate. For your information, I was able to add video games to my cart and have the certificate apply. Didn't purchase any as yet, hope for a sale before getting some. So, it is worth trying for if you get the chance.

Blake 12-04-06 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by paull
I was lucky enough to get the Prime one with the toys gift certificate. For your information, I was able to add video games to my cart and have the certificate apply. Didn't purchase any as yet, hope for a sale before getting some. So, it is worth trying for if you get the chance.

Good to know. If they offer that as a consolation again, I'll probably pick it up. Since I'm getting most of my HD-DVDs from them with 10% off, the 2 day shipping would be pretty nice.

devynal 12-07-06 06:26 PM

Anyone here get a TV claim code?

zuffy 12-08-06 11:08 AM

Nope, I didn't get one :(