Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Any XM Radio Deals?

Old 11-27-06, 05:51 PM

Any XM Radio Deals?

I have to admit first of all I know absolutely nothing about XM radio. I am looking to purchase a receiver and subscription for my Dad for Christmas. Can anyone recommend anything? I need a unit that will work in the car and at home. I know I have to buy one of those boom boxes for it to work at home but I am not sure which of the receivers to purchase. I don't need one with a lot of lines of text because my Dad is blind so it wouldn't matter anyway I would like to go as inexpensive as possible. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
~Tricia
Old 11-27-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

skyfi2 would be your best bet.
Old 11-27-06, 09:38 PM

What is that?
Old 11-27-06, 10:05 PM

Take a flight on Airtran, you'll get a coupon for a free one!

http://pressroom.airtran.com/phoenix...613&highlight=

AirTran Airways' Special Holiday Gift is Music to Travelers' Ears

- Each Passenger Will Receive a Voucher for a Free, Top-of-the-Line Satellite Radio -

ORLANDO, Fla., Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), announced today that it will bring a little extra holiday cheer to its passengers this season. In a move that will be music to travelers' ears, the airline is showing its appreciation for their business by giving every passenger a voucher offering a free XM RoadyXT Satellite Radio, the newest, smallest and lightest satellite radio on the market, while supplies last.

"The satisfaction of our customers is the most important aspect of our business at AirTran Airways," said AirTran Airways' vice president of marketing and sales Tad Hutcheson. "We already offer free XM Satellite Radio in every seat on every flight, and we feel there is no better way to show our passengers our appreciation than to give them a small piece of their experience on our airline to carry with them."

Distribution of the vouchers offering the free radios will begin on flights November 17th and continue throughout the holiday or until Flight Attendants have given them all away. The vouchers will be distributed to passengers along with XM Satellite Radio headsets and will provide details on how to get a free radio on their doorstep in time to brighten their holidays.

AirTran Airways, a Fortune 1000 company and one of America's largest low- fare airlines with 8,000 friendly, professional Crew Members, operates nearly 700 daily flights to 52 destinations. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield- Jackson Atlanta International Airport, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways' aircraft features the fuel-efficient Boeing 737-700 and 717- 200 to create America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline is also the first carrier to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft and the only airline with Business Class and XM Satellite Radio on every flight. For reservations or more information, visit http://www.airtran.com (America Online Keyword: AirTran).
Old 11-27-06, 11:33 PM
Cool New Member

Go with Sirius and the new Stiletto 100 :0
Old 11-28-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's not let this devolve into another XM vs Sirius thread. The OP has already picked his service, he's just looking for an inexpensive portable reciever.

Check out the Roady. You can get it for $27+ at CompUPlus.com
Link: http://www.compuplus.com/i-Delphi-XM...b707t72kkb8h49
Old 11-28-06, 04:33 PM

Kenbuzz, do you have one? It looks like a nice unit and the price is excellent. I honestly don't know what the difference between the units is besides the number of text lines. Thanks for the help.
Tricia
Old 11-28-06, 07:14 PM

I have the SkyFi2 receiver with the boombox...

And the RoadyXT in my truck...

Both are solid units with many features. I highly recommend both. I've owned the SkyFi and the Roady2 prior to the two above. I received a few emails in the past week from XM Radio with some decent deals online through their Friends & Family shop being a subscriber for 3+ years.

Here are a few sites with deals and such. I have ordered from them in the past.
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/
http://store.xmfanstore.com/index.html

I also might still have the online Best Buy and Circuit City employee codes to get into XM Radio's online store. I've purchased a few radios that way and got some HUGE discounts not normally found online and in stores. I'll see if I can find those and try to post them last.
Old 11-28-06, 07:26 PM

Here's a decent deal on the RoadyXT...
Click Here

This package includes the Delphi Roady XT Receiver, car kit & 3 months of *FREE* programming + *FREE* Activation.

$69.95 RoadyXT Package
-$14.00 Activation Fee
-$38.85 3 Months Service
_______
$17.10 for the RoadyXT unit

Last edited by hytec; 11-28-06 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hytec: That's a very good deal on the RoadyXT.

Tricia: Yes. I do. I bought one for my wife's van last Xmas and I'm quite jealous of it. It's better than the modulated 1st Gen Pioneer XM receiver I've had in my car for the past 3 years. It's a solid unit that can be taken out of the car and used in-house with a home kit.
Old 11-29-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't they try to keep your business by offering you a REALLY low rate when you try to cancel. I knew someone that offered a XM subscriber like $5/month just to stay with XM.
Old 11-29-06, 04:49 PM

Thanks so much for the help! I will definitely be ordering the roady. The web site you gave me has it for only 10.00 more than walmart but it comes with a whole lot more. I will probably get the home kit to go with it. Thank you both again.
~Tricia
Old 11-30-06, 12:49 AM

Old 11-30-06, 08:40 AM

Just FYI for anyone else interested in buying the roady. Walmart has it on sale for 25.00 and you get the activation free as well as a month of service free. Unfortunately the link that hytec gave with the three months free with purchase is no longer offering 3 months free.
~Tricia
Old 12-06-06, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
Take a flight on Airtran, you'll get a coupon for a free one!

http://pressroom.airtran.com/phoenix...613&highlight=

AirTran Airways' Special Holiday Gift is Music to Travelers' Ears

- Each Passenger Will Receive a Voucher for a Free, Top-of-the-Line Satellite Radio -

ORLANDO, Fla., Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), announced today that it will bring a little extra holiday cheer to its passengers this season. In a move that will be music to travelers' ears, the airline is showing its appreciation for their business by giving every passenger a voucher offering a free XM RoadyXT Satellite Radio, the newest, smallest and lightest satellite radio on the market, while supplies last.
I took a recent flight and have one of these vouchers. Send me a PM (starting with the OP first ) if you really intend to use this offer.

Edit to add:

The voucher is at work so I can post the small print tomorrow. Please do not send me any PMs until I post the small print. I would prefer the person who gets the code to actually end up using it and not get discouraged by the service agreement or contract at the end because they didn't know what they were signing up for. I think that's only fair.

Last edited by yashan; 12-06-06 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Updated comments
Old 12-09-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Don't they try to keep your business by offering you a REALLY low rate when you try to cancel. I knew someone that offered a XM subscriber like $5/month just to stay with XM.

every company will try to do that. if you call and say price is the main reason you want to cancel, EVERY company will drop the price a bit to keep you as a customer.
Old 12-10-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hytec
I have the SkyFi2 receiver with the boombox...

And the RoadyXT in my truck...
Do you use just one subscription for both? Can you be listening to it in your truck while somebody else is listening to the boombox in your house?

My mom has a similar boombox in her house - I was just wondering if I bought an Alpine XM receiver like this for my mom, if she would be able to listen to it as well as the boombox for the same base price:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UnTGaOZ...Display=Alpine

Alpine CDA-9820XM
CD receiver with built-in XM Radio tuner

Last edited by Heat; 12-10-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 07:42 PM

From what I have read on the xm web site you have to pay an extra 6.99 a month for another receiver.
Old 12-10-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what I saw but didn't know if people were really paying $20 / month for satellite radio or not ($13 + $7).
Old 12-10-06, 11:54 PM

I don't know what most people do, but we plan on saving the 83.88 a year and just take it between the car and the house.
~Tricia
Old 12-11-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont really use my car often to take full advantage of the car kit, so is there any good deals on the portable version?
Old 12-11-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TriciaJ
I don't know what most people do, but we plan on saving the 83.88 a year and just take it between the car and the house.
~Tricia
Well... here's the rest of the story...

My mom has XM. I was considering buying an XM car unit (probably the Alpine XM receiver for $250) and using my mom's subscription. I know I can do this for $7 a month, I was seeing if there was a way to get it for free. Yes, I know that I'm cheap.