Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

deals on treadmills?

Old 11-24-06, 12:00 PM

deals on treadmills?

My wife and I would like to purchase one, and use this weekend as a time to get one if the deals are good.

But we've had trouble locating any info on what a "good" product is, so the prices aren't very meaningful to us right now. We think we'd like to spend less than $1000, but get one that is really sturdy and well made.

Don't need the bells and whistles of a TV screen or whatever. We'll be putting it in front of our real TV. :-)

If you have any suggestions of brands, models and/or deals we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks
Old 11-24-06, 04:29 PM

I know where you can get one for free....................... Open up the door.
Old 11-24-06, 06:56 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For a treadmill that you plan to really use for running/jogging instead of walking, you want to stay away from the types that are sold at Sears and similar stores for $300-500. They break too easily and often, and they are tough on your knees.

The "good" home brands that I know are Life Fitness and, one notch below, Vision Fitness. In my mind, they strike the right balance in quality and cost between machines for commercial use and machines for home use. You might also want to look at getting an exercise bike instead, which tends to be quieter and less troublesome. I got myself a recumbent bike from Vision Fitness after I hurt my knees jogging, and couldn't be happier.

I don't know about good deals. I bought my bike from a local exercise equipment dealer after testing it quite a bit, and he knocked the price down 10% when I asked. I hear they get a lot cheaper about a month after Christmas from all the returns
Old 11-25-06, 01:04 AM

Pretty much every review I read online (Google search "Treadmill Review") mentioned the Smooth 2.5 as the Bestbuy for under $1000. Through November 27th (Monday) they are selling that model for $988/shipped. Here is a direct link to Smoothfitness.com.

Otherwise you can always watch your local Craigslist.org. As others have mentioned, best to stay away from the popular brands that Sears/Walmart/etc. tend to push. Good luck.
Old 11-25-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a Nautilus treadmill I bought. It sells for $1500 at online stores and it's $699 at Amazon with free shipping and it weighs 230 lbs. No bells and whistles like fans and TVs, just built like a tank. The motor and frame have a 30 year warranty. The belt is wide and long at 20 x 57. It's also foldable which is a nice spacesaver.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...475538-8726417

Pricegrabber link:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...rimline+T335HR

Here's a review:

http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/brand/trim.htm

Last edited by namlook; 11-25-06 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-27-06, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Anyone2u
Pretty much every review I read online (Google search "Treadmill Review") mentioned the Smooth 2.5 as the Bestbuy for under $1000. Through November 27th (Monday) they are selling that model for $988/shipped. Here is a direct link to Smoothfitness.com.
We were in the same boat as you, with roughly the same budget. We did a lot of reading, and finally came across the following site: http://www.treadmilldoctor.com

The site has reviews by price range, brand, etc. After reading that site and a few others, we decided that it was worth spending a little extra to get a product that would not disappoint. Most of the brands we were looking at in stores got less than stellar reviews. I worried that we would spend $1000, then the treadmill would get covered with clothes because she didn't like it. From a lot of reading, most said that running is extremely hard on treadmills, and many will not hold up to the beating. So we went with the Smooth 6.25 (which was on the 'best buy' list at the time), and have been very happy. She's actually running on it as I write this.

Great customer service, and delivered right to our door. I'm sure the 5.25 is a great unit as well, but she wanted the extra programming options that the 6.25 offered. It's not a brand that you'll see in the stores, but everything that I read about them was very impressive. We spent 30% more than we planned, but I think it was worth it. I've heard of a lot of people buying treadmills and quit using them because they didn't like what they bought - that has been far from the case with the Smooth in our case. Now that the Minnesota winter is approaching, it will probably get even more use since she won't want to run outside as much...

Last edited by shelland; 11-27-06 at 08:31 PM.