Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Best place to buy flowers?

Old 10-10-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best place to buy flowers?

A friend of mine is getting surgery in Boston of Thursday. I'd like to send her something small (12 carnations or whatever) but don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

What sites have you guys used?
Old 10-10-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used FTD.com the other day for my anniversary.

The flowers delivered to her work were only half-bloomed and while she was ecstatic at receiving them, I was disappointed that I spent $50 on what wasn't pictured on the website. I sent them an email explaining my disappointment today. Wonder what the response will be.

That being said, I should've used www.hallmarkflowers.com because they include a free full-sized card with the order. Give it a shot!
Old 10-10-06, 05:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

neighbors backyard?
Old 10-10-06, 05:33 PM

I search Google or yp.com for a florist in the zip code that I need the flowers delivered. Many florists have their own site. This has worked very well. I might be wrong, but I think there is an extra charge for going through FTD.
Old 10-11-06, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I used FTD.com the other day for my anniversary.

The flowers delivered to her work were only half-bloomed and while she was ecstatic at receiving them, I was disappointed that I spent $50 on what wasn't pictured on the website. I sent them an email explaining my disappointment today. Wonder what the response will be.
Let me know how this turns out for you. I've had similar problems, but never really thought to complain.

Which brings up an interesting thought I just had. Chances are, when you send flowers, you will probably never ever see them. They could be half-wilted or even not what you ordered at all and chances are you will never know because the recipient hopefully isn't going to tell you how much your flowers suck. I once sent an SO a pail of daisies. Several months later, I was at her house and she was telling me how well her potted plant was growing. Apparently, they sent her that instead of a pail of daisies.

Forgive my aside.
Old 10-11-06, 10:39 AM

My experience calling local florists has been great. The last batch of flowers I sent my mom on her birthday were incredible. I think they cost $40, but everybody at her office thought they were at least $100. It was totally easy to call the florist and describe what I wanted. You will get a more accurate bouquet by calling them, because I think it says on the FTD site that the florist can substitute flowers if necessary.
Old 10-11-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Generally speaking, websites have deals with your local florist, so it's a hit or miss situation totally depending on which florist gets used (generally a florist near your delivery destination). I've found that Hallmark does the best job for me, while ProFlowers has delievered some pretty sad looking flowers (I've used them twice, and that was it for me).
Old 10-11-06, 01:30 PM
Cool New Member

I used proflowers.com about a year ago. They were much cheaper than FTD. It was $30 for 18 roses and a vase, and I still get emails saying that they have that special a lot. You might want to check them out. The flowers looked great too.

Side note, flowers might be a little more expensive right now since Sweetest Day is next weekend.
Old 10-11-06, 02:02 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used ProFlowers 2-3 times and have gotten back good feedback. Check out shopping sites like fatwallet sin they since to frequently have specials and coupons going.
Old 10-12-06, 05:59 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
How about 1800flowers.com

They are great!