DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Hot Deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals-2/)
-   -   Great deal on a Western Digital 160GB "My Book" External HD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hot-deals/478668-great-deal-western-digital-160gb-my-book-external-hd.html)

dave-o 09-24-06 11:22 PM

Great deal on a Western Digital 160GB "My Book" External HD

OfficeDepot has the 160GB My Book for 49.99 in their weekly circular. Take the circular for proof of the price to Staples and they will beat the price (by 10% of the difference). since Staples has this for 89.99, that makes it four bucks cheaper for a grand total of 45.99 w/o tax.

A pretty good price for 160gigs if you ask me....I jumped on this earlier today. YMMV depending on what your weekly ads contain. Good luck!

danicus007 09-25-06 02:52 PM

It states after Mail-in savings though. Staples still matched that for you?

devilshalo 09-25-06 03:14 PM

^^

Curious about that too...

dave-o 09-25-06 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
^^

Curious about that too...

Yep, which was great since I didn't have to worry about if I will get my rebate. I had no problem at all at check out, I just had the manager come over and double check the add and he rang me up.

Michael Corvin 09-26-06 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by danicus007
It states after Mail-in savings though. Staples still matched that for you?

That's what I was wondering as well. Sounds very YMMV.

sotra 09-26-06 08:10 AM

fatwallet has it the other way round. pm staples at od.

dave-o 09-26-06 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by sotra
fatwallet has it the other way round. pm staples at od.

That is confusing, b/c Staples sells this for 89 dollars and OD sells it for 49.

I am guessing that depending on your local manager, YMMV, but I had no problem getting Staples to price match this on Sunday.

drmoze 09-26-06 03:37 PM

No, OD sells it for (I think) $119. PM to Staples ($89) and then get a $70 rebate. The OP wasn't clear in pointing out that the advertised Staples price is AFTER rebate.

dave-o 09-26-06 10:51 PM

Now I am really confused. The OD near me sells it for 49 dollars (after rebate) and the Staples was the more expensive one at 89 dollars. I don't think either of them sells it for 119?

Either way, I didn't even think twice about trying the price match at Staples to get my end price of 45 dollars (probably b/c I didn't know that it might not work). Perhaps I got lucky b/c they didn't even mention the fact that they were matching an after rebate price.

Perhaps at other locations OD has the more expensive price for this iitem? That is the only reason I can see taking it from Staples to OD to get OD to price match it.

Either way, if the OD near you has it for 49 dollars it is worth a try to get Staples to price match it, it worked for me anyways.

sotra 09-27-06 07:07 AM

You go to OD to PM Staples. With the $70 MIR the price AR should be $29. As always YMMV, but several people have been able to do it.

JCWBobC 09-27-06 08:40 AM

What does YMMV mean?

clappj 09-27-06 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
What does YMMV mean?

Your Mileage May Vary

Raw_and_Vital 09-27-06 10:40 AM

OK Im very confused here. I take the advertisment from Staples to Office depot so they will do a price match. And hopefully Office depot will match the price and the rebate of the hard drive? So in the end I will get it for 29.99 without having to send in any rebates?

Raw_and_Vital 09-27-06 10:41 AM

and if that's the case, Do i need an actual magazine ad to show this or can i print the online rebate ad thing? like what do i physically take to Office depot so they will match the price?

steebo777 09-28-06 11:34 AM

I tried to go to Staples first with the OD ad to PM, but that didn't work at all due to it being a mail-in rebate. I then went to OD with the Staples ad to PM there and she said she couldn't because after the MIR it will be cheaper at OD. I tried to finagle my way in to get that extra $20 off, but she insisted on saying no, so I just bought it there.

No biggie since in the end it is a pretty nice HD for under $60 once I get the MIR in.

Raw_and_Vital 09-29-06 08:37 AM

im going to try and do this today. either way it's not a bad deal at all. How long do rebates usually take? always seems like 5 months later you get one.

dave-o 09-29-06 11:56 AM

I guess I got lucky. Sorry, when I posted this I didn't even consider the MIR to be a problem with the PM...you learn something new every day....